Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2002, 11:27 PM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

It CAN'T Be Done? Or Can It?

Stanley Kubrick said that Lord of the Rings was "Unfilmable." So many unanimously say of the Silmarillion. But my arguement is this: If Stanley Kubrick one of Hollywood's most famous and remembered Directors said LOTR could not be made,then how do you explain the recent three hour magnum opus of magnificence now on screens around the world, with 13 Oscar Nominations? My word to you: Don't Trust The Critics no matter how influential,experianced or important. It IS possible to make a film...it will just take thought,courage and good sense. As a up and coming filmaker I believe it can be done. I would like to do it myself....hopefully....

It might have to be in two movies...maybe three...

Probably most will dissagree...but that is common when something hasn't been done. Awake and open now the silent gates of your hearts that song s and tales of great things may come in!

Adieu For Now.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:15 AM   #2
Nibs
Head Hollara

Some one said it couldn't be done? Why would he say that? Maybe he was implying a single film. Even then...

Any way, there was one thread discussing the filming of the Silmarillion. The outcome was (in my mind, any way): it could be done, just in many installments. The Silmarillion contains many, many stories, with little dialogue. That would have to be filled in. It would take a lot of time and loads of talent, but it's quite feasible. It would make a great film (or twenty or so).

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

When Stanley Kubrick made that remark, it probably was more of an impossibility to make a good movie of LotRs. He has been dead for awhile, and he was a great director, so he was very realistic in his thinking at that point in time. A movie of the Silmarillion? I had even my doubts about the P.J. movie and how true to form it could stay. I must admit that considering the complexity of the story, it was well done. For me though, the Sil. would be tough. It's detailed in a different way than LotRs, but it is not a question of impossibility for the Sil, but loyalty to it, and detailing the compexity of a much greater task. The most I think you could hope for with the Sil. is to bring a great story or two alive from it. I don't think a film could ever do the entire book justice, or have the ability to stay true to form. But I say that for now, like Stanley Kubrick said then.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 06:43 AM   #4
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

I've always prefered books to films and I think that the LotR film was good but Sil is much much more complex and being a film would wreck the whole thing : the emotion the hatred the power the whole timeline of life death construction destruction turmoil and calm it would all fade

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 07:58 AM   #5
Elf Girl
Lurker

I agree about the film wrecking the whole thing. And they wouldn't make it, they're worried they'll get sued for religious reasons.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 08:38 AM   #6
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

What religious reasons I mean i worship ulmo but why exactly actually arrrggggggghhhhh i am caught between worshipping ulmo and yoda

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:03 AM   #7
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Kubrick was a bit of a purist. He wouldn't allow a stereo re mastering of the mono track for 2001 on the DVD! He also didn't have the computer power to throw together a balrog. I think the the Silmarillion "could" be done, but it would have to be serialized and I doubt it would draw the big production bucks that LotR did. But, if they make huge piles of cash and have the assembled artists, liguists, etc from LotR then why not try. I think they would do the hobbit first. After 4 films the studio and movie goers would probably burn out, but then Stae Wars is still going string and the plot lines are much weaker.

Anyway, I agree with the comment about preferring the books. The movies are nice eye candy but nothing can substitute for a good read.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:56 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually, after the final release of "Return of the King", I hope Jackson actually tackles a three-hour length "The Hobbit".

As for filming "The Silmarillion", I have great respect for the recently deceased (I think it was last year or the year before, Sister Golden Hair) Stanley Kubrick, but on this issue I simply think he was wrong. I do not know if audiences could be drawn in for a serialized Silmarillion, but some of the stories COULD stand on their own as films (the story of Beren and Luthien comes to mind). However, although not impossible a task, the filming of Sil would be herculean beyond measure. Talk about folks steamed at Bombadil and Glorfindel not being in LotR: Can you imagine a Silmarillion film leaving out Cirdan Shipwright or Finrod or, clutch the pearls, Glorfindel AGAIN???

To do justice, the book would have to be broken up into separate films, and I just don't think a studio would go for that. But then again, for the longest time, "Lord of the Rings" was considered "unfilmable" in live-action as well.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 08:13 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Actually many tolkien stories make excellent short films, but not features, Aldarion and Erendis, Turin, Tuor etc.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:00 PM   #10
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

Cirdan, I think the reason Star Wars is still going is because it has a simple storyline. By number of names alone, any story out of the Sill would be grossly overwhelming to a public audience in film-form. That is, unless the dreaded 'dumbing-down for mass audiences' rears its ugly head and in a worse manner than that of the LotR version of which we all already complain about.

No doubt it would be cool to see with what special effects can do now. (Imagine Ulmo rising out of the sea to cousel Tour in Vinyamar, or the fall of Gondolin, or even Beleg and Turin defending the northern Borders of Doriath side-by-side! damn that would be sweet!)

I think maybe Beren and Luthien tale has enough of a basic love-story theme to potentially work, but then you run the risk of ruining the love story that the Professor himself held very dear to his heart (his headstone has by his request, 'Beren' under his name and "Luthien" under his wife Edith's). Who would be brave enough to try that?

Oh and not to take too much away from Star Wars, there was a twenty-year break between the first three and last three films
Old 03-14-2002, 10:03 PM   #11
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Lelondul, I agree with your points. There would end up being the endless narrator interupting to explain all the history needed just to get through it. Turin sound like a good candidate. They would have some need to link through plot lines to the LotR to retain movie only fans. Something with the Fall of the Numenoreans and the creation of the rings. It's still a bit of a stretch. There aren't the happy endings that most movie goers demand. On a tangent to the religious note, much of the bible has been put to film, but then it's been read a bit more than the Silmarillion.
Kubrick recently, right before "Eyes Wide Shut" hit the theaters. His quote was, I assume from much earlier in his career, when the books came out.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 11:26 PM   #12
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Well! A lot of good insightful discussion has had it's being since I've been away! Another thing you may want to consider as far as a studio not going for breaking the Silmarillion into "part" is this: Remember George Lucas has his own film company Lucasfilm. He has this so he can have complete freedom over his films, how they are made and when they come out. Also he earned a lot of money from the classic trilogy and became rich enough do a lot of the financial stuff himself. Independance could be a key factor into a director making a film version of the Sil. I am not saying Mr. Lucas should do this; I merely mean to say that someone like him in his position may be able to pull it off.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:16 AM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Hey Le, you should come here more often.

The biggest problem with "adapting The Silmarillion" is that The Quenta Silmarillion itself (not even to speak of the Akallabeth and Rings of Power) is supposed to a collection of many different stories, put together and shortened. The Ainulindale and Of the Beginning of Days with info. from the Valaquenta would make a long movie. Of Túrin Turambar using info. from the Narn-I-Chîn-Húrin could easily fill up three hours in a movie theatre. Same goes for Of Beren and Lúthien and the Lay of Leithian. If you're going to film The Silmarillion and do it right you're going to make an unbelievable gamble and film 14 movies. It can be done, but it won't.

Zaents doesn't have the license anyway.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:37 PM   #14
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

it would be interesting to see the manifestation of the characters. i was rather impressed with the way sauron "looked" in the film. i could only imagine how morgoth or feanor would be portrayed, and what actor(s) would be chosen to do so.
i think that the hobbit would be the most logical choice to follow rotk. of course all of this depends on the revenue generated from the previous. i also tend to believe the "executives" will monitor how succesful the harry potter movies are. if harry potter can maintain profitable numbers over a span of 4-5 movies, then i think making the hobbit or sil could very well be a possibility. depends on how well the "fantasy" genre can maintain moviegoers attention.

be well
Old 03-18-2002, 11:16 AM   #15
Elvellon
Elf Lord

It is true it would be difficult to film the Silmarillion. But, as it has been said before, certain of its stories could be perfectly adapted to cinema. I think it all will depend if the remaining films of the LotR are successful or not (I agree that Harry Potter may be taken into account in this, but I can see more Middle Earth movies being made, even if Harry Potter series are unsuccessful, if market studies show that there is an interest in more Tolkien related movies).
If the LotR movies are successful , I see the movie industry looking for other Tolkien books to adapt to the cinema. The Hobbit would be the first choice, but what then? The Tale of Beren and Luthien, the Tale of the Children of Hurin or the Tale of the Fall of Gondolin would make excellent movies. Personally. I see the possibility of this being done.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 02:55 PM   #16
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The Lord of the Rings spans a period of a few years at least after Frodo's flight. The Silmarillion spans a period of thousands of years and contains little dialogue. Now a specific part (eg. the Narn i Hurin) would make great movies.
A full Silmarillion movie would be cool but next to impossible.
And very, very, very, very, very, long.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:23 PM   #17
Ahab
Sapling

Who does currently hold the license to the Silmarillion and the other books?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 07:54 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Ahab! A thousand welcomes from yours truly, Ranadwelt. I'm glad you made the trip.

The Tolkien Estate has the licenses required to all of Tolkien's writings, except The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:48 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

AHAB???

Well...Riddle me that! Nice to see you, Spammer!

?????
Old 04-01-2002, 09:43 PM   #20
TinuvielChild
Padawan

hey Cirdan, i like your new avatar!!

<-----post # 444! (and i just passed 400 last night!)

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote