Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2002, 10:47 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
A Great Band

I know of a great band, but I didn't put their name in the title because it would be odd. They're known as BNL, or the Barenaked Ladies.

Anyone a fan?
Old 03-09-2002, 11:53 PM   #2
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Eh. They're okay, but their songs get really annoying really quickly. I swear if I hear "One Week" one more time I'll smash something. Allright, but not very original. Just my opinion, though, which doesn't say much!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:04 AM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
But you've only heard the singles...::sigh::
Old 03-10-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Liking Altenative Rock, I listen to 102.1 from Toronto. Their first single was 'If I had a Million Dollars", and that's were I first heard BNL. Every year this radio station sponsors EdgeFest in Barrie Ont., and it is an outdoor concert thast goes on all day. In 1991 the BNL played,and they were so unknown that they went on stage about 1:00PM. But they had a great stage presence.
They are about the only band that I remember from that concert - even forgot the headliners.
Other facts;
- They got noticed by using Speakers Corner, a video booth run by CITY TV in Toronto.
- The city of Toronto refused to allow them to play at a Canada Day celebration because their name was inappropriate ( this was before they became as well known as they are now)
Old 03-17-2002, 12:23 AM   #5
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

This is supposedly the story behind their name:

They were going to play at this bar, and wanted a bunch of people to show up. So they made some posters that read:
"Barenaked ladies here tonight!!!" And the name kinda stuck.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:07 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Are they well-known at all outside Canada?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #7
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

oh yeah! they are really popular here in the U.S.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 09:29 PM   #8
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

they were in the charts in australia too... god i wish i were in toronto *sniff*

but i really hate barenaked ladies. well not hate... but i don't like it. i agree with frodofriend - that "one week" song is like the proverbial red flag ("and i am the bull" - incubus ) it was thrashed so much down here! and speaking of canadian bands, so was that nickelback single "how you remind me" yargh!!! well it's precisely why i don't listen to the radio

starr polish - have you heard of a band called sevendust? i know just because you're christian doesn't mean you'd like every single christian band, but i think they're the only christian band i like :P
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote