Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2002, 12:40 PM   #1
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Atlases and maps

I've done a little search to see if this thread was done previously and I didn't find this query:
Do any of you use a map source when you read the books?
I have just used what was in the books themselves, but I bought Karen Wynn Fonstad's revised Atlas of Middle-earth and found that the detailed maps and battles help illuminate much of the text of the Silmarillion.
This atlas was mentioned in some threads, but there was some comments regarding inaccuracies. Are there other better sources for geographical info?
Old 03-03-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I used to have copies of maps done by people on the net posted on my Athlon's wallpaper. while I'm reading the books; one map at a time, of course.

After a while they're already stuck in my mind that I can take the book anywhere.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:42 AM   #3
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

I used the maps in the back of the LotR books!!! I thought they were useful!!! Did I answer this right??
Old 03-04-2002, 07:50 AM   #4
Findegil
Elven Warrior

As jet I hadn't find anything better than Karen Wynn Fonstad. Of course some decisions can be doubted and in some points you would wish for more information of the sources and arguments for the drawn maps. But I can't imagine how this could be other wise with a commercial bock that you hadn't published your self.

Regrads
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:37 PM   #5
Earenya
Elven Warrior

I found the maps very very helpful to get one's bearings in the beginning of the stories...
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:07 PM   #6
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
For following along with the books, I find Barbara Strachey's "Journeys of Frodo" a lot better than KWF's Atlas.

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:10 PM   #7
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I like to use maps to see where the people are in realation to other things. Also, so I can visualize the surroundings...
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:46 PM   #8
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Your Favorite ME Map?

So what's eveyone's favourite ME map? Who drew/published it? I am looking for the most comprehensive set out there as big as possible, holding as much detail as possible, too.

I have in my mind a map with overlays showing ME in the First Age, then you peel it back to reveal ME in the second and so on. Sort of like clear pages that would allow one to see the whole of ME at a glance. Dates with battle sites would be on it as well. I suspect that such a map does not exist - yet.

But if you fine mooters would hip me to some good maps (outside of the LotR ones) I would really appreciate it.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 04-20-2002 at 01:50 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:24 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My favorite maps are undoubtedly the JRR/CJRT maps that come with the books.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:23 PM   #10
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Yeah same here.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:41 PM   #11
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Yes Ërendil and Wayfarer, I agree but I have seen some maps that are bigger and hold more info. I am looking to see what fine maps other mooters may posses or are looking for. Like I said my ideal map would be some sort of ovelapping deal with the changes of each age represented. I doubt anything like this exists but it sure would be good project for a budding cartographer with a Tolkien problem.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:26 PM   #12
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Pailin, take a look at Karen Wynn's book next time you are in a bookstore. She doesn't have overlapping maps, but there are representations of all the land masses from the beginning (Ea) and the text explains any irregularities. She also has the battles mapped out by participants and timelines. The book maps are ok, but I find them hard to read, all the important stuff is always in the fold area.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:59 PM   #13
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

I concur wholeheartedly with Elvet. I'm a map junkie. I could stare at a map for hours. The maps in the books are charming, but very limited. There's just not emough detail.

Fear Complacency!
Old 04-26-2002, 04:04 PM   #14
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Thanks Elvet, and Barrelrider110, I'll be sure to take a look. Seems like there is a real need (to my mind anyhow) for some large quality maps. Have either of you seen the e-map at the official movie site? There's some promise with that one.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:48 PM   #15
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I found the official site map interesting, but again fairly small and certainly inconvenient for referral to when reading in the garden!
Karen Wynn's book has not only the maps through the ages, but also diagrams of towns and cities - including Bree, Moria, even Gondolin from the Sil. If you are a map person, Barrelrider, I would say this book is a must.
There was a really good web site - lotrmaps.cjb.net - but it is down due to server problems. I have since tried to find something comparable without any success.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:05 AM   #16
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvet
I found the official site map interesting, but again fairly small and certainly inconvenient for referral to when reading in the garden!
Too true! I enjoy the "zoom in" feature which reveals more detail with each click. And it doesn't become all pixelated! So some kudo's are due to the web designers there. I will search for Wynn's book this weekend as time allows. In the mean while, my search continues.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.