Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

True Hero

Who do you think is the true hero of Lord of the Rings?
Why?
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
Earenya
Elven Warrior

What a good discussion question!
I dont believe there is only 1 true hero. Because, when it all came down to it, everyone needed someone. 'The Fellowship' really was a fellowship- an interdependent, coworking group that would've been fruitless unless they worked in union.
In the end, Frodo needed Sam to get him to Mount Doom, and vice-versa... but even Frodo was unable to fight the Ring; he succumbed to it. Thus needing Gollum to wrench it from him- and though Gollum was the possesor when it was destroyed, he did not destroy it of his own accord. Gollum needed that Ring. The Ring distroys itself almost- the fact that it causes so much desire in he who holds it, that desirous passion destroyed the ring.
Aragorn could not have won the battle on his own- even Gandalf needed the deus ex machina of the Eagle to escape Saruman's grasp- However, his fight with the Balrog (wings or no ) proves how incredibly strong he is... but would he have been able to destroy the Ring? Probably not.
Im anxious to see how this thread will continue! Good thought RosieCotton!
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:50 PM   #3
noldorlord
Hobbit

from the point of view of a normal run of the mill person, Sam would be the hero, as he is as close to the everyday joe you and me are. He gets tangled up in all of it and helps Frodo to do his task. He is different to Frodo because Frodo has the ring which is a great weight upon him and not many people are like this. Sam promotes responsibility, bravery, loyalty, friendship, and kindness which are all excellent and heroic characteristics.

Aragorn is the more classical hero, last in the line of kings, magic sword, saviour of mankind, sort of chap. Boromir is more of a tragic hero because he is temped too much by the ring, but realises his folly too late.

I think that the mortal peoples in lord of the rings are more heroic than the immortals, apart from Gandalf and other major elven characters. Mortality is a great sign of heroism because they know they can die but do not fear that fact.

phew, long rant there
Old 02-28-2002, 05:21 PM   #4
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i agree mainly with noldorlord. there are many heroes in the books but my favourite is definetly sam.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:36 PM   #5
Earenya
Elven Warrior

ahh, I like that. It makes sense- of everyone, Sam is the one who exhibits loyalty and bravery and friendship. And he is true to the end. I love the idea of Boromir being the tragic hero- his downfall is his weakness. But in a way I suppose it depends upon one's idea of the word "hero". As I was saying before, none of the Fellowship could've acted alone.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:23 PM   #6
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Sam,
hes the real hero

Frodo may have carrier the ring
but SAM CARRIED FRODO (mentaly, and physicaly)

GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM! GO SAM!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

There are a few other topics that discuss who was the hero of Lord of the Rings, you can find them here and here.
Closed Thread