Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-25-2002, 09:31 AM   #1
Elf Girl
Lurker

places we are so insane that we think are warps into middle-earth

Has anyone ever been anywhere that they swear is a certain place in Middle-Earth?
I have a few, I'll post them in a little while.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:55 PM   #2
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Oxford - I'm sure that's what Rivendell looks like!
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I'm quite sure the United States is a part of Middle-earth ... and every other nation.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:27 PM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

Once I found a woods that was so viny I was convinced it was Rivendell. I climbed into the vines looking for Elrond but ended up not finding him and really scratching my arms up. (Still have the scars)

I also have a weird feeling about a certain tree that I'm convinced is a mallorn. But it's first branch is to high up for me to climb to look for Galadriel.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
Darth Tater
The man

I've got a picture of an Ent! He lives on the land of a monestary in Platina California. I'll scan the picture for ya'll one of these days. Just looks like a tree though, cause he wasn't moving.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Really, Tater? Cool . . . I always thought that weeping willow trees looke middle-earth like. Maybe realated to the Mallorn or something . . . Also, there was a place in Italy I went to once that I could've sworn was Rivendell.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:15 PM   #7
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

There are 2 mountains south of Manila where cults abound. One mountain was named Banahaw and the local townsfolk call it the Holy Mountain. The other one is called Cristobal and people there avoid even pointing a finger to it since it is evil according to them.

I went up the first one in college and it was indeed majestic. I never thought I'd see wild orchids, bonsai-like trees and clouds 300 ft below. It was forested but very pleasant and uplifting.

About 4 years ago, I went up Cristobal with an officemate and some friends to challenge the superstition. It was really rough and thorny with leeches and worms on the trees. There were mangroves high up in that forested mount (unusual for mangroves) wherethe roots meet the trunk about 15 feet up and you can go underneath them. When we reached summit, we find that there is a large crater which was grown over by a thick forest of trees. There are 2 small clearings near the middle where a black pool of water is. Funny how there is a set of footprints going in to the pool but none going out. We set camp for the night and the only light you can see are the stars directly above since it was an old crater and an ocasional blinking of eyes in the distance which were hopefully just monkeys.
That place really reminded me of the crossroads near Minas Morgul. Good thing we went before Blaire Witch showed on theatres or else we wouldn't have gone

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-25-2002 at 11:16 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:53 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
I always thought that weeping willow trees looke middle-earth like.
Well you know there's Old Man Willow.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:03 AM   #9
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

The train stations in Croydon and Ringwood are ( I swear ) Mordor!!! Mount Doom is in there somewhere!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 10:36 AM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil

Well you know there's Old Man Willow.
Don't forget Nan-Tathren.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:48 AM   #11
sepulchrave
Enting

When I first laid eyes on the old-growth forests of the west coast of Vancouver Islands west coast, I thought I had slipped into Fangorn by mistake. We are blessed here with trees that are in some cases two thousand years old and more. They are covered in mosses and ferns and are absolutely gigantic...there is one cedar on Meares Island which is over twenty meters around the base (61 ft.) and some firs and spruces are close to three hundred feet high! the atmosphere inside these groves is magical...silent timeless green halls of aged splendour. Come for a visit!
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:22 PM   #12
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
My home feels like the top of Caradhras right now, in the movie where they're all covered in snow . . . We just got a very random snowstorm.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:08 PM   #13
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Let me second sepulchrave....west coast forests ARE fangorn! They're amazing. Also the olympic peninsula park, I have a picture though it might not be very good, but they're covered with moss are are very old, and very majestic, and slightly creepy...and so "frightfully tree-ish" as Pippin would say (or Maybe Merry. I can't quite remember).
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:37 PM   #14
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Funny how there is a set of footprints going in to the pool but none going out.
Arathorn! What a cool story! That must've been awesome.

There are 2 sycamore trees here with a path going right inbetween them. They seem kind of like twins- both huge, many many decades old, one slightly bent outwards. Very out-of-place, like remnents of an older age.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 01:53 AM   #15
Nameless
Enting

quote:

Quote:
Evenstar said: The train stations in Croydon and Ringwood are ( I swear ) Mordor!!! Mount Doom is in there somewhere!!!
We should add Spencer Street station to that list. Talk about dull, gloomy and depressing! Dealing with the ticket inspectors can certainly be compared to dealing with Orcs! And as for the station announcements, I swear they use an Orc language!!
Old 03-01-2002, 11:53 PM   #16
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nameless
quote: We should add Spencer Street station to that list. Talk about dull, gloomy and depressing! Dealing with the ticket inspectors can certainly be compared to dealing with Orcs! And as for the station announcements, I swear they use an Orc language!!
YES!!! Nice to know someone agrees with me!!!
Old 03-02-2002, 01:07 AM   #17
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
It depends on what season it is. In the hills around my house there are aspen forests, pine foress(mostly pine) and all that. In the Autumn the Aspens turn such a maginificent gold that when you walk among thier white trunks you could almost hear the elven singing soft and quiet high above you and your heart longs for Lothlorien or Rivendell.
In the spring if you look over the valley while you're on "The Hill" you see the River with the sun glinting off of it's surface turning it silver which contrasts to the green of the fields. Unfortunatly in summer the fields turn brown. Not rich earthy brown but a weak mud caked brown. Then the sage brush turns brown and only the trees are green and those are in the hills. What's worse is my stream dries up and the valley goes PHHHTTTPP. Then it's more like the Battle Plains
Washington reminded me of Greenwood the Great before it became Mirkwood. LOTS of green and LOTS of trees. You didn't even realize you were in civilized areas until you were literally running into a gas station or hotel.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...

Last edited by samwise of the shire : 03-02-2002 at 05:11 PM.
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:26 AM   #18
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Arraghiu on Corsica. A ruin of a fortress on the top of a hill/mountain with the widest view possible. It's Weathertop, I know it is.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:05 PM   #19
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

My home area has to be Rohan....nothing but fields and the occasional farm.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:37 PM   #20
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I went to Ireland...yikes, i found so many there! All those hills was like the Shire, and then I have some pics of Aughnahare Castle, which looks very middle-earthy, though I ain't sure quite where. if my comp would let me scan em, i'll post em for you...
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote