Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2002, 02:31 PM   #1
Brimvalir
Elven Warrior

Voice of Saruman in Two Towers movie

Hope they dont stray too much from the dialogue when they come to the part where Gandalf confronts Saruman after Treebeards attack- it will be tricky to bring the effects of Sarumans voice to the big screen.

All that is gold does not glitter nor are all those who wander lost......
Brimvalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:42 PM   #2
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

I don't think there will be anything at all about the voice of Saruman. It's too subtle and not visual.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-15-2002, 03:06 PM   #3
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Agreed with barrelrider. Far too subtle to be portrayed in film. Just like "The Voice" in the Dune movies, just doesn't come across.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 04:45 AM   #4
coolismo
Enting

Well we didn't get the wonderful verbal duel at Orthanc first time around, Gandalf's speech about how the ring can only be worn on one finger and Saruman's contempt for Radagast and Gandalf. So its unlikely we'll get anything of the brilliant rematch in TT. My bet is Saruman will say only

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhh hhhhhh

as he's impaled on that bloody spike.
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:58 AM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Actually, the power of the voice as a corrupting factor may well remain intact. Remember that the ability of Saruman's voice to sway people is mirrored in the character of Wormtongue.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:04 PM   #6
Radagast
Elven Warrior

I'd be heartbroken if they didn't portray the Voice of Sauruman correctly! The defiance of Theoden, an old man, resisting the subtle, mind controlling power of his voice is one of the best parts!
"But my Lord of Rohan, I am to be called a murderer, because valient men have fallen in battle? If you go to war needlessly, for I did not desire it, then men will be slain. But if I am a murderer on that account then all the House of Eorl is stained with murder, for they have fought many wars and assailed those who defied them. Yet with some they have afterwards made peace, none the worse for being politic. I say, Theoden King, shall we not have peace and friendship, you and I? It is ours to command."
"We will have peace," said Theoden at last thickly and with an effort. Several of the riders cried out gladly. Theoden held up his hand. "Yes, we will have peace," he said now in a clear voice "we will have peace when all your dark works have perished-and the works of your dark master to whom you deliever us. You are a liar, Sauruman and a corrupter of mens hearts. You held out your hand to me and I perceieve only the Claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if you war on me was just-as it was not, for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine for your own profit as you desired. Even so, what will you say of your torches in Westfold and the children that lie dead there..?"...
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:39 AM   #7
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

I also would be disappointed if the "Voice" was left out.

It is a powerful commentary on just how easily mislead we are. I just saw a videotape that showed the CEO of Enron telling his employees that the company's accounting practices were sound, even conservative, when a year later the comopany stock price is in freefall. In JRRT's time there were the examples of Hitler and Hirohito.

However, judging from PJ's interpretation of FOTR, I don't think we will hear about the Voice in TTT. It's a very subtle concept, one that will probably be worked around or rewritten.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-26-2002, 11:35 AM   #8
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I hate to admit it, but I think coolismo got it right.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:21 PM   #9
Elf Girl
Lurker

When we met Saruman in FotR, his voice was enhanced at one point, so I'm hopeful.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:55 PM   #10
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

Quote:
When we met Saruman in FotR, his voice was enhanced at one point, so I'm hopeful.
good I'm not the only one that noticed that!

Quote:
Agreed with barrelrider. Far too subtle to be portrayed in film. Just like "The Voice" in the Dune movies, just doesn't come across.
but sound technology has come a long way since the making of Dune

I, for one, am anxiously awaiting Wornmtongue I've always imagined him to be a short little vindictive freak

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:03 PM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Halley_Brandybuck
I, for one, am anxiously awaiting Wornmtongue I've always imagined him to be a short little vindictive freak
And greasy, very greasy.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 09:27 AM   #12
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Halley_Brandybuck
Well, this is somewhat of a long story. It starts with that computer game Myst(tm). When I was little, my parents discoverd it. Four years later, the sequel to Myst came out. They played that too. Another few years, and the sequel to that came out. This was only about six monthes ago. There are only a few actors in these games, but in this last one, one of them was so horrible that we decided the lead programmer must have begged and begged for the part until they gave it to him. Later, we found out that this guy was nominated for an Academy Award. Later still, he got an award for best acting in a computer game for his performance in the game we played. That gave us an idea how bad people usually act in computer games. But I swear this guy was a profesional actor, and I could have acted better than he did for this game. And guess who this guy's playing? Wormtongue.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:21 AM   #13
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Impaled on a spike....if that is true, I'm going to cry.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 12:02 PM   #14
Elf Girl
Lurker

It is...Brad Dourif...check out the LotR movie site and the web site for that computer game (www.myst3.com) for proof.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 03-24-2002 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:42 PM   #15
TomFoolOfATook
Hobbit

Treebeard They could pull it off

If they dont take out too many lines and use their music right they might be able to pull off Voice of Saruman
Pieces of Eight
Treasure filled with emphtiness
dont let it turn your heart to stone
TomFoolOfATook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 01:20 PM   #16
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Actually, in the movie guide, PJ is quoted as saying that Christopher Lee was perfect for Saruman for a number of reasons, including his "silky voice"
Old 04-19-2002, 06:32 AM   #17
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I hope they don't do something like Galadriel's hissy fit and you couldn't even understand what she was saying.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:39 PM   #18
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I hope they don't do something like Galadriel's hissy fit and you couldn't even understand what she was saying.

Galadriel's hissy fit...
LOL!
That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:23 AM   #19
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Thanks but I think I stole it from someone. I think his voice will not be enhanced like Galadriels (I really hope).
Old 04-20-2002, 12:37 AM   #20
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Well, I do hope that they do something incredible with his voice (not Galadriel-ish) in which it is very true to the idea, with the technology available, and make an amazing scene with that and all...but I don't want to expect to much--Lessen the feeling of disappointment if it doesn't happen. We'll just have to wait, I suppose!

On a different note, I don't know much about Brad Dourif, or his acting, but I've seen pictures of Wormtongue, and he definitely looks very, very creepy, and quite greasy. Totally looks the part, and from the few seconds in the trailer, I'd say he still looks like he'll be a great wormtongue. I'm not too worried about him not being good enough, so far...*shudder*

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote