Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2002, 01:45 AM   #1
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

I have a question about Aragorn????

I know it says that Aragorn is Isildurs heir and that he is king...but I also read in the book someone saying that the line of kings was broken!!! (this was before Aragorn was born or when he was living with Elrond!!!) Both these things being said TOTALLY confused me!!! Can someone explain this to me!!! Is Aragorn Isildurs direct heir or what!!!
Ok...Iam soooo sorry if this has already been asked and answered but I did look for any previous posts about it!!!
Old 02-09-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Elendil was Isildur's father, and related to the kings of numenor

When numenor was destroyed Elendil set up a northern kingdom-Arnor

Isildur and his younger brother Anarion were co-rulers of Gondor, the southern kingdom

In the siege of barad-dur and the battle with Sauron Elendil and Anarion died. Isildur took up kingship of Arnor (his son was already at rivendell) and Anarion's son, who was in Minas Tirith took up kingship of Gondor.

About a thousand years before LOTR the kingdom of Arnor was destroyed. However, the line of kings (heirs of Isildur) went unbroken, and Aragorn is directly descended from Isildur.

In Gondor the line of kings ended about a century after Arnor's. The kingdom remained under control of the stewards, a noble family, but not related to Anarion's line.

Isildur was also direct heir of Elendil-who was not only king of Arnor, but acknowladged high king of the realms in exile, and therefore technically elgible to rule Gondor. While each kingdom went their seperate ways, both kingdoms are considered those of the house of Elendil-and Aragorn is descended directly from Elendil and has claim on both the realms. Therefore he can rightfully proclaim himself king of both th North and South Kingdom.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:57 PM   #3
Findegil
Elven Warrior

In addition was their an intermarriging between the two lines of Kings. Arvedui the last King of Arnor married Firirel the daugther of Ondoher the King of Gondor. In that way was Aragorn also the hier of Anarion, but in a female line.

Regards
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

THANKYOU!!

Thankyou very much!!!
Old 02-10-2002, 07:16 PM   #5
aldesign
Elven Warrior

wasnt Aaragorn son of Arathorn...

so wasnt Arathorn in line for the thrown before Aragorn was?
what happened to Arathorn?
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 05:01 AM   #6
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Arathorn was killed in the Hitheaglir by Orcs during a ride against them with the sons of Elrond. Aragorn was very young when that happened. For that reason he was more than his ancestores brought up by Elrond.

Regards
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote