Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2002, 12:33 AM   #1
BurningHammer
Hobbit

Nazgul Tom Bombadil

Any reason that whole part of the bookw as taken out? Was it not important?
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:43 AM   #2
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Well, if in the movie would be way too long. Also, a lot of people would walk out of the movie if they had him in. Bombadil didn't really have much to do with the main plot of the story. He was a happy fellow who sang. That would have added like 45 minutes to the movie and all non-fans would have left. Thats just my opinion....hey there are lots of topics on this. CBG can do what he wants with this

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Tom Bombadil doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the books or even among Tolkien geeks. In a time-constraned narrative he's just too bizarre...I think PJ did the right thing here.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:29 AM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

This is one thing I agree with - Jackson made a good decision on reemoving Tom Bombadil. Although it would have been cool to see Old Man Willow and the Barrow Downs.

I wish that maybe Bombadil was shown as a shortened version. Perhaps just saving the Hobbits from Old Man Willow and then the Barrow Downs (then there would be an explanation for the hobbit's swords, instead of Aragorn just pulling them out of his left pocket).

He really didn't have any affect on the plot and was quickly forgotten after the Council of Elrond.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:52 PM   #5
Alandiel
Sapling

yeah since they cut out the singing all together, it would have been hard to have tom considering he cant shut up
Alandiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:06 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I love Tom, but he really wouldn't have fit. The whole movie was pretty dark, eerie, and mysterious (even Lothlorien was a bit creepy), Tom would've just been odd. And it wouldn't even have been Tom w/o the singing!

PJ also avoided bringing Old Man Willow into the picture, which would've detracted from the talking tree/Ent thing in TTT. All in all, it was a good decision.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

I still maintain that Tom being missing isn't all that big of a deal

Aragorn knew he was going to be meeting up with the hobbits eventually and that they wouldn't be armed so he was a good little boy scout and was prepared..... at least according to PJ

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Strider

i read something about Pj saying how they wante dto put in just a little hint of tom.. like a feathered hat ducking behind a tree and the song he sings going along with the scene.
he decided against it, because, it would confuse the average joe, and it wouldn't be enough to satisfy people like us, so he just took the whole thing out..

it's funny that i can really not mind that much about a part that PJ totally skipped but i mind a whole lot about him changing a thing like the flight to the ford..

hmm..
oh well. my brain hurts tonight, sorry folks.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Farmer Maggot!!

You know who i miss...I miss Farmer Maggot!! I know he wasn't a crucial subject for the plot...and I wasn't disappointed that he wasn't in the movie!!! But I like the way Frodo was scared of him for all those years but then found out that he was a very friendly man!!! Instead in the movie he was chasing them carrying a weapon thing that the death guy carries!!!
Old 02-09-2002, 11:24 PM   #10
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I agree with you Evenstar about Farmer Maggot - he should have been left out completely, instead of the way he was changed - just like Jackson did with Tom Bombadil.

As I said in another thread the swords make no sense. Gandalf never had time to meet up with Arargon. And if he did - Gandalf only knew about Frodo and Sam - so Aragorn would not have been carrying 4 swords, he would have only have brought 2. I never heard Jackson explaing the swords in an interview - but his explanation you said he has - makes no sense to me.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:08 AM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I agree that there's no time for Tom in a movie based on The Fellowship of the Ring. But the movie is seriously hurt in one way or another without him, in terms of what it might have been, and what they had to do after kicking him out.

If the movie had based on The Ring Sets Out, which is the real first Book anyway, it would be a crime not to keep the character. The fact is: Tom Bombadil is important to the story. He's important to the plot, he's important to the story. He's not an important person within the story, as compared to such political leaders as Elrond, but he is very important to the story itself as a story. Tolkien said so himself. Tom is frequently misunderstood and I think anyone who thinks he is not important has misunderstood him. Tom is different, but Tom belongs.

In any case Peter Jackson doesn't seem to have too much a mind for the joy and beauty in the epic. He likes misery and ugliness and blood.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:26 AM   #12
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Re: Farmer Maggot!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar
You know who i miss...I miss Farmer Maggot!! I know he wasn't a crucial subject for the plot...and I wasn't disappointed that he wasn't in the movie!!! But I like the way Frodo was scared of him for all those years but then found out that he was a very friendly man!!! Instead in the movie he was chasing them carrying a weapon thing that the death guy carries!!!
That's called a scythe.
And according to the books too, he did that a lot, if people came to his lands stealing his crops.
I didn't mind that too much. I just enjoyed the film.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #13
TinuvielChild
Padawan

FARMER MAGGOT RULES!!!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:56 AM   #14
Earenya
Elven Warrior

They cut those parts out in the animations as well, its a real shame... they add such flavor.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:18 PM   #15
The_Real_Legolas
Elven Warrior

Re: Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally posted by BurningHammer
Any reason that whole part of the bookw as taken out? Was it not important?
I was just going to do a thread like that cause I think u are right and also there was no old willow or Farmer Maggot and there was barely the forest.Goldberry was cool too and all of it was important!

One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them
LEGOLAS ROCKS & so do I! GO ARCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by The_Real_Legolas : 03-05-2002 at 05:21 PM.
The_Real_Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:40 PM   #16
Elf Girl
Lurker

What he did was reasonable from his point of view, but it still annoys me. Also, If Goldberry were in, maybe he'd be happy enough with woman in the movie and let Glorfindel be Glorfindel.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 12:48 AM   #17
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Let's see...if Goldberry was added, Tom would have to be there. If Tom was there, either or all of the Old Man Willow Scene, the Barrow scene and/or the Farmer Maggot scene would have to be added. This, as lots of others have said, would have taken too much time. But I still would have loved it...maybe. Tom is still a precious character in my mind;my vision of him is obviously not affected by the movie as so many of the characters are now. So maybe PJ did us all a favor by cutting Tom, maybe not. We'll never know.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 01:46 AM   #18
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
What he did was reasonable from his point of view, but it still annoys me. Also, If Goldberry were in, maybe he'd be happy enough with woman in the movie and let Glorfindel be Glorfindel.
Even with Goldberry, I'm sure he would have had the Arwen Warrior Princess thing. See, his explanation for that was that for it to make sense for people who haven't read the books for Aragorn to marry Arwen in the end, she had to be more a part of it. Well, that explains the bit about added romance scenes-i.e. the one on the bridge, and the ones they cut out that I've seen pictures of-and as for Xenarwen. . .I think P.J. wanted her to have a more ACTIVE role, rather than the passive role she has in the books. BTW, I am simply stating this as to point out that even Goldberry wouldn't save Glorfindel from absence in the movie, rather than saying my opinion on the Arwen Flight to the Ford thing.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 09:18 PM   #19
Khadrane
Elf Lord

They should've had Tom. When I first found out about the LOTR movie, one of the first things I thought was "Wow! Tom Bombadil will be awesome." And then I discovered they were taking him out. They should've had Tom.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:15 AM   #20
Ararax
Elven Warrior

yep