Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

The Day of the Triffids...

Are there any other sci-fi novels like The Day of the Triffids? I have tried looking for some but most contain large fantascal machine guns or dwarfs and dragons.
Any ideas?
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
Bradistic
Hobbit

Maybe if you tell us what The Day of the Triffids is like we can help you out.
Bradistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Well its the future...or rather the past...but it was written in the past (about 1950s I think) and is set in the future. Well the world is very much like our own but it is inhabited by six foot, walking, talking plants that have the ability to kill or atleast blind humans with thier sting. So one night green comets rain down on earth and blind everyone that saw them. This is where the story begins and it follows Bill and ex-triffid worker as he tries to navigate his way around this strange world filled with the blind and one or two sighted people. Oh hell just read it yourself!
Play Girl
xxx

PS The triffids take over as dominant species of the planet hence the name

Frodo lives!
Old 02-22-2002, 01:58 AM   #4
mirrille
Elven Warrior

If you mean sci-fi that isn't typical "space opera" with spaceships and robots and laser cannons or isn't actually fantasy in disguise, there's lots, but it's all different. What do you like about "Triffids" that you are specifically looking for?

Some older books I would recommend are:
Canticle for Leibowitz - a post nuclear holocaust story
Helliconia Spring, Helliconia Summer, Helliconia Winter - about a world where the year is thousands of years and the seasons hundreds of years long, and how the people deal with it.
The first part of the Dune series (the later part gets a bit weird for some people) - famous series. But it's one of those love it or just don't get it type of books.

These are some of my favourites.

Another book I highly recommend, but that does contain a war against aliens, is Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Very very very good book. Don't be fooled by the premise of an interstellar war. It's more about how a kid feels like being groomed to be a general. I hear this book is required reading at some military colleges because it's full of examples of what to do and what not to do when trying to cultivate good relationships with one's troops.

But this is all I can do without knowing what you are looking for.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 07:38 PM   #5
Nenya
Hobbit

Try John Wyndham's other books if you haven't already. I particularly recommend "The Chrysalids", and there is another one, I think It is called "The Kraken Wakes". He has written loads, and all of them are as good as the triffids, if not better good.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:54 PM   #6
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I liked the hyperion series-spac operaish but in a good way. A very good way.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:37 PM   #7
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Thanks very much for all the tips. I just have to find some time to do some reading now!
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Old 04-10-2002, 02:00 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Day of the triffids is scary! I read it when I was really young (7 if I remember correctly), and it gave me nightmares for weeks!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:41 PM   #9
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
What's this about, I've never read this series, is it interesting?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote