Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2002, 10:24 AM   #1
coolismo
Enting

the women in LOTR

For no particular purpose I thought I'd put this up...

on Sunday Father Cormac Murphy Oconnor head of the English Catholic church gave a sermon to the Queen at Sandringham, big event, first time since blah blah. But he chose the subject of the universal appeal of Mary and cited the feast of Cana where a young JC turned water int wine. It set us talking at home about the mirror of Galadriel and the symbolism of the water and its transformation into a portal. It further set us going on women in LOTR and my wife said that the sermon made her think that maybe Arwen changing moving the waters in the movie wasn't such a bad image after all. I know the catholic imagery is not overt in FOTR (Galadriels swan raft a biblical reference etc) but the justaposition of Oconnors sermon made us start on the whole subject of femininity in the book. Does anyone have any take on the particular power of women in the book...Arwen Eowyn and Galadriel.....
I felt their power was more like the Marian ie submissive to the will of a greater power but acting strongly in accordance with its will...
O the sermon is at http://www.westminsterdiocese.org.uk/arch/
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote