Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 09:37 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Could I Read It First?

I went to check out FOTR from the library, but of course, it was checked out, but Silmarillion wasn't. Could I read that first, or would it spoil anything?
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:34 PM   #2
Butterburr
Hobbit

It has been a while since I read the Silmarillion, but I don't think it would spoil FoTR. You should be aware though that the Silmarillion is written more like an epic (like the Iliad? Maybe this isn't the best analogy) than most Fantasy/SF books. Browse through it for a while and see if you like it. If you do, check it out. Most people get introduced to Tolkein through the Hobbit, and then LoTR though.
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:51 PM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Well, I have read the Hobbit. I've heard that the Silmarillion (can I just call it the Sil?) can be compared to the Bible, but being Christian, I find that kind of writing pretty interesting. Thanks for the warning.

(And I don't want to start no religious debates, y'hear? IM me for that)
Old 01-15-2002, 03:42 AM   #4
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I actually found it to be less like reading the Bible and more like reading a book of Greek myths. The focus is on the narrative. Pretty much everyone involved is either related to gods or non-god (can't say mortal) but highborn in some way (princes, kings, cousins to kings, half god and so on). The only reason I say Greek is because that's what I'm more familiar with, being raised in a western culture and because the stories almost always end in a tragic way. You get introduced to a noble character and watch him do great things, and then it almost always ends badly in the end, maybe because of a prophecy, oath, or curse.
I'm not trying to be very analytical or rigorous about the comparison. I'm just trying to describe the sensation I had when I read it. The Bible gives me a totally different feeling.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:59 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I would say that if you are going to attempt the Sil. before the LotRs, you may find it to be a bit difficult. Although it is the history of LotRs, you seem to be able to understand the Sil better if you have read LotRs first. I would suggest that you skip the section entitled, (Of The Rings Of Power And The third Age) which is at the very end of the book. It may give things away from LotRs.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:31 PM   #6
Butterburr
Hobbit

Mirelle, I think you hit the nail on the head. That's probably why I was thinking of the Iliad. I'm going to have to read the Sil again soon. I don't think I've read it since my first time, and that was many years ago...
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:51 PM   #7
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To Starr Polish

Hi, Little sister in the Lord--
IMHO, I would wait until you've read the Hobbit and LOtR before attacking the Silmarillion. Since it is actually comprised of a couple of different works, and Professor T didn't complete it before he died, I got a headache the first time I read it, , because it does have the same flow of the other books.
Reading the other books first will give you a much better frame of reference when tackling the Sil, which can get confusing. Can't you find and inexpensive paperback set of the trilogy, if $$ is an issue? It's too late for Christmas, but maybe you could ask for an early birthday present.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:15 PM   #8
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Ah, birthday presents have to be set aside as well, I'm going to Spain this summer I am going to get the trilogy from the library, when they finally get turned back in. Of course, since the movie, everyone wants to read them! It wo'nt take me long to read them either, because I haven't had anything new to read in quite a long time. This is from the girl who gobbled up "Gone With The Wind" in a week during eighth grade. hehe.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:14 PM   #9
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

"Gone with the WIND???"

You musta been reading "Gone With the WHIRLwind!!"

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Actually...

Tolkien woul dhave rather published the Silmarillion before the LOTR, so I would assume it's ok to read it first.

I remember him saying something about '...publising it after the lord of hte rings, since the right time to do so had passed'
Old 01-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Well that's nothing. I know a girl who read through the Bible in a week. She did it during Christmas break though, and read literally, ALL afternoon (from 1 pm to 10 pm).
Old 01-15-2002, 07:18 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*/has read massive amounts in a short time as well.

My benchmark is something like a thousand page novel keeps me for a day.

I read through the entire wheel of time series in my study hall last year. Even the awful last one.

none took more than two days, and those are the most boring books I've ever read.

a GOOD book of the same length might take three to six hours.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:49 PM   #13
Binky The Clown
Sapling

Well, I have read The Silmarillion, and I reccomend it, if you have a long attention span. It is a great book, but to me it was more boring than any other book Iv'e read. But it is still really good.
Binky The Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:55 PM   #14
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin92
Reading the other books first will give you a much better frame of reference when tackling the Sil, which can get confusing.
I have to agree with this. The Silmarillion, while it is an awesome book, is definitely overwhelming at parts. It's must easier to read it if you have a good working knowledge of the universe that Tolkien is writing in from reading Lord of the Rings.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel

Last edited by galadriel : 01-18-2002 at 01:58 PM.
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 01:59 AM   #15
AngusThermopile
Sapling

I would say that if you are someone that reads a lot anyway, then it would not be a bad thing to start off on the Silm. If you do just take it slowly. Read carefully and thurouly.

It does have a chapter devoted to the war of the ring, a sumery of LOTR, but you can leave that out,

I think it is the best of the books.

However a lot of people would be put off starting on the silm. Like many have said it is very differant in style and difficulty to LOTR. Which is the story that hooks most people.
AngusThermopile is offline   Reply With Quote