Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

Read Ant Good Books Lately?

If you've read any fairly new, really cool fantasy books,please tell us about them here.I know I'm always looking for a good book to read!

I just got done reading Through Wolf's Eyes It's about a girl raised by wolves who is brought back to mid-evil civilization,where she's thought to be heiress to the throne of Hawkhaven. It's really good,and it's NOT another Junglebook or anything else like that.
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 03:53 AM   #2
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I liked the Jungle Book. I have very fond memories of my dad reading that to me at night. I once tried to memorize the poems because some of them were quite nice. The Disney adaptations (both of them!) were abominations.

I recommend the Amber series, by Roger Zelazny. There seem to be several threads on it here already, so I won't repeat.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 03:28 PM   #3
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Re: Read Ant Good Books Lately?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn, The Lioness
If you've read any fairly new, really cool fantasy books,please tell us about them here.I know I'm always looking for a good book to read!
i'm in the midst of a fantastic series of celtic fantasy by katherine kerr. it's her Deverry series - the first one is called 'Daggerspell'.

the stories of the various characters weave back and forth through time . . . like a celtic knot. and the writing, itself, is exquisite!

enjoy if you will !
Vardasoroniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 07:59 PM   #4
Butterburr
Hobbit

I've posted this elsewhere, but there are severaly good books by Guy Gavriel Kay:

The Fionvar Tapestry (closest to a ME world): The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, The Darkest Road

The Sarantine Mosaic: Sailing to Sarantium, Lord of Emperors

Tigana
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:09 AM   #5
sepulchrave
Enting

mirrille...
question: Is there anything that comes from the house of Disney that is not an abomination?
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:26 AM   #6
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
question: Is there anything that comes from the house of Disney that is not an abomination
Hmm...Let me think real hard...
Well, Snow White was ok. Being the very first feature length movie though, I guess they were really out to impress. Things have sort of gone downhill from there.
I don't know if the Lion King actually had some source material to abominate, so technically, they didn't screw it up because there was nothing to screw up in the first place. But just technically, I'll have to give them that.
But really. If they did so badly on the first cartoon version of Jungle Book, what could have possessed them to make a second attempt if they weren't even going to TRY to make it a decent one? Some things are just not to be understood.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:39 AM   #7
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah. I forgot. Recommendations:

This pair of books by Robin McKinley. You'll probably find them in the young adult section, but they are kind of nice.

"the Blue Sword" is about a girl who goes to live with her relatives in a frontier/colony area (Think: The British establishing colonies in Africa, because that's what the culture/era is a little bit like). She somehow ends up living with the natives (read: savages that the colonizers are trying to tame) and fulfills all sort of prophecies. Sounds standard, but the atmosphere of the book is very nice. The characterization is excellent.
The prequel is about a princess (not very favoured in the royal family because her mother was a "witch") and how she saved her country from evil, even as noboby gave her any respect or acknowledgement as a person. It's how she goes from being the outcast witch-child to a great legend. And it's surprisingly good.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:53 AM   #8
sepulchrave
Enting

it is certainly the raping of the classics that I find most offensive, but I have many arguments with that company (Disney). I am sooooooo thankful that they were not involved with the Tolkien movie. That would have been almost too much to bear.
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:04 AM   #9
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I thought the raping of classics was the all-time low. I underestimated them. They also took to the raping of history (Pocahontas, Mulan). I don't know how they get away with it. The only explanation would be if people didn't know what the source material was like. But I can't believe people are that ignorant, so I really don't know what goes on.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:11 PM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Just finished the second book by Joanne Bertin (Dragon Lord series) They are a quite different fantasy book with just hints of Andre Nortons style. Try one.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:58 AM   #11
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Just finished the second book by Joanne Bertin (Dragon Lord series) They are a quite different fantasy book with just hints of Andre Nortons style. Try one.
different, how?

i do like andre norton's writing style; she is very easy to read. & anything hinting of dragons also piques my interest!

have you read any of the DragonLance series? or how about george r. r. martin?
Old 01-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #12
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

Finished another one!

The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass It's the first in a series (I'm currently reading the second book,Enchanter ) It's terrific! It's alot like Katherine Kertz ,mixed with a little Tolkien.
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:36 PM   #13
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Anyone read "This Present Darkness?" by Frank Perretti? I stayed up almost all night a couple of nights ago reading it. The author's a Christian and he deals with the battle that goes on continually in the spiritual world between the angels and the demons and how prayer affects the out come of the battle and stuff like that. It's so totally awsome. He also wrote the Cooper Children series and is working on a teen series similar to the Cooper Kids. The first book is Hangmans Curse and is really good too.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:33 PM   #14
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yeah, I've read some good books lately . . . LotR! Of course, I was rereading them, but that counts too, right?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 09:48 PM   #15
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I just read Dominion by Randy Alcorn. Good Book!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote