Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
Marille
Hobbit

Pronounce this and ...

Can someone pronounce this for me, and I have a question, what if you wanted to had a "s" on to a word and wanted to make it plural how would you do it in Elvish? Like what word or letter would you add on?

Anyway heres the word ....

Maegluinhén
Old 01-13-2002, 08:42 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

I'm not sure about the plural thing but I believe the pronunciation is my ay glue een hane if that makes any sense
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I would think, at least in some Elven languages, the plural is indicated by the addition of "i" at the end, such as in "Avari" or "Teleri."

I could very well be wrong, I am no Elven linguist.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:55 AM   #4
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Maeg luin hen are three Sindarin words, and if you are trying to combine them into a name, it would mean something like "sharp (glance)" + "blue" +"eye". Piercing blue eye, I suppose, is what you're after. I think the plural form may be made by adding "-nath": Maegluinhennath.

You probably want to check out Helge Fauskanger's Ardalambion site to learn more about the rules of Elvish:

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

He deals more with Quenya than with Sindarin. David Salo is probably the leading expert on Sindarin. He and his wife Dorothea founded the Elfling mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/

It's a very intense linguistic environment, but you may get some help there, if you're not satisfied with the answers here. There are some true scholars there, and some unpleasant people, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Michael Martinez : 01-14-2002 at 12:56 AM.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:07 AM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I'm altogether unfamiliar with Sindarin plurals, but in Quenya you can make a word plural by adding an 'r' onto the end if the word ends in a vowel (unless it ends in 'e', in which case the 'e' is usually replaced with an 'i'). If the word ends in a consonant, just add an 'i' on to it.

Thus the plural of ráma ('wing') is rámar ('wings'), the plural of Quendë ('Elf') is Quendi ('Elves'), and Atan ('Man') is Atani ('Men').

I think it's much more complicated in Sindarin.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:03 AM   #6
Marille
Hobbit

Thanks guys! Yes "piercing blue eyes" is what I was going for. Because my friend who is semi-interested in Tolkien wanted me to translate what she wanted to be her Elvish name LOL,she told me she wanted it to mean that. Yeah her eyes are blue, but I don't know how "piercing" they are . LOL!
Old 01-14-2002, 04:13 AM   #7
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Marille
Thanks guys! Yes "piercing blue eyes" is what I was going for. Because my friend who is semi-interested in Tolkien wanted me to translate what she wanted to be her Elvish name LOL,she told me she wanted it to mean that. Yeah her eyes are blue, but I don't know how "piercing" they are . LOL!
Far be it from me to judge the lady's looks, but I think the name is unwieldy. She may want to seek something more concise, possibly with a poetic allusion to piercing blue eyes. "Tinuviel" means "daughter of the twilight", for example, but it's a name for the nightingale bird. It became one of Luthien's nicknames.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:32 AM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Marille, good on you for taking the initiative of piecing this name together for your friend, and don't change it; it is a fine name, and in need of no editing, nor of further "poeticization." It's beautiful as is. Well done.

However, poor lady if she DOES have "piercing blue eyes".....has to be extremely uncomfortable for her eyelids! *wink!*
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:25 PM   #9
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I'm clueless on this one. . . but the info and pronuciation is cool.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 04:45 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I would pronounce it 'Mag loon hen', but then, I'm a dunderhead.

You would be perfectly justified in snippin goff the 'hen'. After all, 'maeg' is 'sharp glance' and so 'maegluin' would be 'sharp blue glance' or, figuratively 'piercing blue eyes'.

It's a bit easier to pronounce/say, as well. ]: )

~Ersaeliphant,
Resident Linguistic Dunderhead, and Name Translator Extroidinaire,
Old 01-28-2002, 02:55 PM   #11
Marille
Hobbit

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-13-2002, 12:39 PM   #12
cian
Enting

For possible interests sake, the name Maeglin "Sharp-glance" derives from elements (according to War of the Jewels):

mik pierce ... maiká sharp, penetrating. Compare Quenya Hendumaika "Sharp-eye", Sindarin maecheneb

and

glim gleam, glint (usually of fine slender but bright shafts of light) Particularly applied to light of eyes. Compare S. glintha- "glance (at)", glînn

---------------
Gwaew ciriel be vegil maeg
"Wind cutting as a sharp sword."
(David Salo)

Last edited by cian : 03-13-2002 at 12:49 PM.
cian is offline   Reply With Quote