Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2002, 01:12 AM   #1
friendoftheshire
Sapling

Gandalf Are hobbits vegetarian ?

Except for the time when Sam cooked rabbit stew in Two towers, hobbits seems to be vegetarian. They seem to eat plenty of vegetables - i.e. carrots, mushrooms etc..

Does anybody know of a resource that documents hobbit's diet ?
Or any other instances in the trilogy + the hobbit where they eat meat ?

Thanks

FriendOfTheShire
friendoftheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:21 AM   #2
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I wish they were...but no. They talk about eggs and bacon in "The Hobbit," and more bacon with Farmer Maggot's mushrooms in the Farmer Maggot chapter. (Whichever that one was ) Your question leads me to MY question...are elves vegetarian? They don't seem to eat all that much...in fact, I only remember lembas mentioned in regards to food. (Yes, I know elves eat other things than that...but that's all I remember except for the feast at Rivendell. And that didn't tell specifics."
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:46 AM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

One need look no further than the cooked rabbit you mentioned, shirefriend.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:02 AM   #4
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

as far as hobbits are concerned, they probably ate less meat then us (they can't very well walk into a supermarket, can they?) which in fact is healthier for you, however in LOTR they will have less opportunities to eat meat as they are travelling and meat doesn't keep very well, and hunting takes a lot of time (as mentioned by Aragorn!)

as for elves, they do eat other things but i should think that they probably are vegetarians. i can't see elves slaying and eating animals. in FOTR when they feast with Gildor (sounds like a country rather than a person hmm...) Frodo mentions eating wildberries and lovely bread and nourishing draughts etc. elves eat more then lembas , for their waybread is designed mostly for travel (or so i would assume).
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:46 AM   #5
Lightice
Elven Warrior

If I remember correctly, in Hobbit, the Elven King loved hunting, and I might guess, that they ate those deers too. Otherwice it would had been even more cruel...
Ofcourse wood elves were "less civilized" than their Rivendell cousins.
I've gotten the idea, that elves really don't need food or sleep, but they do get energy from lembas and that wake-slumber they go sometimes.
Hobbits definately ate meat. There's mention of butcher at Hobbit, plus rabbit-scene at LotR. Sam also mentioned fish in that scene.
But I wonder what dwarves ate...
They lived mostly underground, so they had to pick from rats, bats and mushrooms, it seems, if they didn't have trading partners, as it seemed to be at mines of Blue Mountains.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:57 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Elves do hunt. Check out the SIL. I agree with Inoldonil. That it would seem they ate them too.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:04 AM   #7
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

lightice: thanks for jogging my memory (it hates exercise)
Old 01-13-2002, 10:45 AM   #8
kennebecc
Hobbit

Dwarves and Hobbits

In the past few months, I have been reading the Hobbit to four different school classes. I can assure you that Hobbits and Dwarves eat meat, you need only skim through the Flies and Spiders chapter of the Hobbit. The dwarves and Bilbo try to eat a squirrel, and actually shoot a deer that jumps into their path. The Dwarves also seem to have a fondness for eating mutton, which they share with Bilbo during that whole three trolls in the woods scene. The only time that they do not appear to eat meat, is when they are visiting in the house of Beorn.

Last edited by kennebecc : 01-13-2002 at 10:50 AM.
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:33 PM   #9
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

afro-elf and lightice are [not surprisingly, judging from their prior posts] absolutely correct. Hobbits eat meat, as do Elves. In the Silmarillion, even the Noldor go a-hunting from time to time. They are certainly of an ethical quality which would not kill an animal for no reason, they EATS 'em. Also, they are skilled tanners, as the boats they got from the Galadhrim have "skins" for covers.

As for the assertion that eating less meat is a healthier diet, I must politely disagree. I haven't seen a true "vegetarian" or "Vegan" who doesn't look like a recovering death-camp victim, sallow and pale. We gots incisors and cuspids and bicuspids for a reason, that is, the rending and tearing of flesh. We gots molars for the grinding of vegetable matter. We is omnivores, that's how we developed, and that's what our bodies are set to.

Hmmmm.....reminds me.....what variety of tasty animal will I break my fast upon this morn.... Top it off with a few selections of vegetable matter.....and a little bovine lactation products.....yum yum!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #10
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Eating less meat, does not mean eating no meat at all.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:27 PM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Hey, wait a minute! I'm a true vegetarian and I can assure you, I DON'T look like a recovering death-camp victim. And I know at least 4 other vegetarians who are also in the bloom of health. I don't think eating meat makes much of a difference health-wise either way (at least it hasn't for me), as long as you get enough protein from yogurt & such.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:32 PM   #12
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I agree with FrodoFriend, I'm a vegetarian and I'm not about to keel over. I do know what you mean though, I have seen some people like that, but most vegetarians I know are in perfect health.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:56 PM   #13
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think at this point I'll just politely muzzle myself with a pork chop and respectfully retreat to my corner...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:19 PM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

It
Quote:
may
have to do with what kind of Vegetarian you are.

There are Vegans, Lacto-vegetarians, ovario-vegetarians etc.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:15 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

*gnawing on pork chop bone*

Maybe it was Vegans I was thinkin' of.....

*gnaw gnaw gnaw gnaw*
Old 01-13-2002, 09:41 PM   #16
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

bropous, you are at least partially right. yes we do have the chewing gear for meat, because meat is a good way to get important things in our diet ie. protien and iron. however the point i was making is that THESE DAYS people eat far too much meat (bacon for brekky, meat pie for lunch, huge servings of meat for dinner, etc) when we really only need one small serve of meat a day. however when meat is adequately supplimented by other foods, vegetarians can be healthy (but i've never seen a vegan who didn't look anorexic sorry if you're a healthy looking vegan)
Old 01-13-2002, 10:16 PM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

LOL, ain't ever set my teeth to a "meat pie" in all me born days! gotta admit the very name puts me off...

I dunno here. I say, folks eat what you like, we just shouldn't lecture to others what to eat....and sorry I laid into the vegetarians in prior posts.... everyone has the right to eat what they choose.....except humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #18
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i don't think humans would taste too good... hmmm kentucky fried human... blech
Old 01-13-2002, 11:17 PM   #19
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Gee, THANKS, Luinilwen -- I just finished my supper!! Man flesh is ORC FOOD (and probably Smeagol food, too, gollum, gollum)
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:19 AM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, Gollum ate babies...mention of "snatching from cradles" in Mirkwood....