Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2002, 06:37 PM   #1
Marille
Hobbit

Gandalf For fun: Have any pets named after any LotR characters?

Yes, yes, yes I know its a cheezy question. But do any of you have any pets named after any LotR characters? And if not, what would you name your pet?

I don't have any but one day I think I should like to get a cat and name it Gandalf, and it'd have to be a grey cat of course LOL. If not Gandalf then maybe Legolas.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:58 PM   #2
Banazir
Hobbit

Hehe, I once had four kittens named Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. Frodo was the cutest one, with grey fur, the rest were white. Then my mom gave them away, because she couldn't stand so many cats in the house.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:20 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

My sister has a cat named Eowyn. (Her roommate named it.(
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:46 PM   #4
truffleoreocookie
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel I do...

I have a cat named Pippin...he is brown and white...and is sitting in my lap.
truffleoreocookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:52 PM   #5
kennebecc
Hobbit

I once had a big orange long haired cat by the name of Pippin Took. The name fit him quite well. He certainly got into plenty of mischief and suffered misadventures. He loved to eat and sleep. He was an outdoors cat, but he really wanted to be inside most of the time. Guess he thought going out meant sitting in the window looking out. But, he did prowl around, and was always bringing 'treasures' home. Unfortunately, he got hit by a truck, survived, but lost one of his enormous green eyes. He than begame Pippin Took, with the ONE eye. Always spooky to see him out at night with that one glowing eye. He was a great cat.
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #6
Vanimdil
Enting

We have a small dog named Bilbo. He was a stray and we thought the name fit him well because he is tough, lucky and loves food. I also think it would be cool to have a dog named Huan after Huan in the Silmarillion.
Vanimdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:03 PM   #7
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

I know somebody who has a cat named Mithrandir and he posts stuff in here sometimes.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:41 AM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Strider

If I had a cat I would name it Legolas! Or Arwen or Eowyn if it were a female. . .But alas! For I have only a snake, which I named way before I read the books (maybe I'll change it someday. . .he won't care!)
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:13 AM   #9
Legolas
Elven Warrior

I see some of you like Legolas for a cat's name... Meow! Meow! Meow!
I would do this too. Well, I have a kitten, but I call him Mithrandir because his fur is grey.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:54 AM   #10
Graham
Sapling

I had a black cat who was dumped by its owners because it had the cat flew and one eye was badly damaged. When we got it it was very ill and skinny and a total wreck. I called him Smeagol and he turned out one very smart and lovable little fellow. A really wonderful pet. Some bastard shot him one day just for fun, that was 20 years ago but I can remmeber that day clearly, I never did catch the bastard.
Also had a great cat called Pippin, he was always up to mischief. Have one now called Amarie (a Vanyarin elf beloved of Finrod), she is very old now and doesn't move about much. Also had another cat way back in the past who was called Alfirin ( a flower of middle earth).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:06 AM   #11
Lord_Ov_The_Thunder
Sapling

Nazgul

i used to have two dogs named Beren & Luthien (m & f ofcourse), but two years ago Luthien jumped off the the gate and never returned and Beren died three months after..
Be aware the storm gets closer.
Lord_Ov_The_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:53 PM   #12
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I have a guinea pig named Fredegar (or Fatty) Bolger. He's an enormous Long-haired Tri-coloured English cavy, all brown and black and white. He never exercises really, I put him in his exercise ball but he only stands still and tries to eat the sides.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:37 PM   #13
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I want to re-name my cat Sauron. He's certainly looks evil enough for that!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:39 PM   #14
Lyrian Aryns
Sapling

I had a friend who called their cat Saruman, though I never knew why since I hadn't read the books then...
Legolas is a nifty name for a cat, though I also named all six of mine before I read Lotr. :\
Lyrian Aryns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:11 AM   #15
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I had a dog named Gandalf about 20 years ago.(sigh)

Our current dog(friend, family member) is named...Poochbutt!

Really!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:56 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, Graham, Lyrian Aryns, Lord_Ov_The_Thunder, Eruviel Greenleaf, Vanimdil, and an especial welcome to my fellow coloradan, trullfeoreocookie!

As for pets named after Tolkien characters, our big Persian Blue kitty-cat, who is slate-grey, had the name "Gandalf" when we adopted him from the Humane Society. We renamed him, however, you gotta choose a cat's name for yourself, to match his personality.

However, as for fish, I have four jewel cichlids named "Feanor", "FINgolFIN", Finrod Felagund, and Rosie. I've had a couple of plecostomi named "Gollum" over the years, and a chipoke named "Sauron"...and a few years back, a marine grey poma angel named "Morgoth".
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:07 PM   #17
Sakata
Elven Warrior

My cats name is, well, was Eowyn, I found her (what was left of her ) yesterday, after the coyotes had got her at night...I died with her that night

"I havent the heart to tell you, for me the greaf is still to near" -Legolas

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:20 PM   #18
Schvenn Of The Schack
Hobbit

Our cat is called

Preciousss (with three esses)
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:03 PM   #19
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Sakata, breaks my heart to hear that about your kitty, and I hope you are able to get past your grief soon, but I know it is a hard thing to deal with a loss like that. My deepest empathy.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:57 AM   #20
athelas
Enting

We have two fish which I named Faramir and Eowyn. Our hamster is not named after any LoTR character though.(It's called Jinx)
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote