Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2002, 04:31 AM   #1
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Entishly

Where do Ents go when they die? Elves and Dwarves go to Mandos in separate halls, while Men go Beyond. But Ents?

Ents are sentient beings, are they the Fourth Children of Iluvatar?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:52 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Who are the third children of Iluvatar?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #3
Gimly
Enting

There wre no Third children of Iluvatar, only Elves and Human.
Gnomes were created by Aule, but were approved to wake up in their caves, along with the Birth of the Elves.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

That's what I thought. Right. The Dwarves were not counted among the Children. They were not of Iluvatars thought, or plan.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
AreteLaugh
Sapling

Good question!

The Silmarilion says that when the elves awoke; "... then the thought of Yavanna willl awake also, and it will summon spirits from afar, and they will go amoung the kelvar and the ovlar, and some will dwell therin... " So obvioulsy the ents were part of the great music and their spirits must have some fate.

Of Mandos/Namo the Silmarillion says that he "summoner of the spirits of the slain" so perhaps their spirits reside in his halls. While clearly this doesn't apply to men perhaps there is a hall for the spirits of Yavanna although it is not mentioned.
AreteLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
Finglas
Enting

Are the Ents immortal, or do they just live for a really long time?
Old 01-05-2002, 05:00 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Dwarves, not Gnomes Gimli. The Gnomes were the Ñoldor.

The Dwarrows were indeed the Third Children of Ilúvatar, at least according to one version. This is said in The Peoples of Middle-earth in the latest account of the making of the Dwarves. After the Dwarf-fathers are put to sleep Eru declares them to be his Third Children.

I haven't a clue what happens to Ents. It probably depends on their origin, which is a bit mysterious.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:55 PM   #8
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I always had the impression that they eventually turn into trees and sleep until the end of days.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:35 PM   #9
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I had the same idea as Comic Book Guy, but they could be burned to death or destroyed by large quantities of weapons of attack.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:55 PM   #10
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I thought the same thing as emplynx and CBG. Treebeard DID say something about the ents becoming more "treeish" didn't he?
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 09:25 PM   #11
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

True, Renille, he did say they were becoming more and more treeish and some had already become trees.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:22 AM   #12
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I even found the quote!

'Why are there so few, when you have lived in this country so long?" asked Pippin. "Have a great many died?"
"Oh, no!" said Treebeard. "None have died from the inside, as you might say. Some have falled in the evil chances of long years, of course;and more have grown tree-ish. But there were never very many of us, and we have not increased. There have been no entings- no children, you would say,not for a terrible long count of years. You see, we lost the Entwives."
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:35 AM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

But even Trees die. We haven't discovered anything in Middle-earth that lives forever.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:18 AM   #14
Gimly
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil
Dwarves, not Gnomes Gimli. The Gnomes were the Ñoldor.

The Dwarrows were indeed the Third Children of Ilúvatar, at least according to one version. This is said in The Peoples of Middle-earth in the latest account of the making of the Dwarves. After the Dwarf-fathers are put to sleep Eru declares them to be his Third Children.

I haven't a clue what happens to Ents. It probably depends on their origin, which is a bit mysterious.
Whoops, my mistake. Also, you might be right. I havce read the Sil only once (not enough for such a book) half-a-year (maybe a year) ago, so I can't remember it all in details.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:42 PM   #15
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Oh, your memory's good enough. It doesn't say that the Dwarrows were the Third Children in the Silmarillion, you have to get Vol. XII of the History of Middle-earth for that.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:47 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The Dwarves were not even Children of Iluvatar, the Seven Dwarf Fathers were created by Aule, which was an act beyond his power and authority, and was not inluded in the Music of Iluvatar. Iluvatar was p.o.'ed at Aule for doing this, creating the Dwarves to come into being prior to the awakening of the Firstborn of the Children of Iluvatar, but forgave Aule when Aule apologized for being so headstrong and offered to destroy his creations. Iluvatar bade him stop, but cast them into sleep, and Aule put the Dwarf-Fathers under stone in separate locales, to awaken AFTER the Firstborn were discovered.

Of the Elves, Men and Dwarves, Iluvatar said: "...often strife shall arise between thine [Aule's Dwarves] and mine [Iluvatar's Children], the children of my adoption and the children of my choice". Aule hoped that at the End, that his children may be given a place as children of Iluvatar.

As for where the Ents go when they die, for there was an Ent who died in the attack on Isengard, I have no idea. Maybe a special hall of Mandos where Yavanna has visitation rights.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:25 PM   #17
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hmmm...

Quote:
"...often strife shall arise between thine [Aule's Dwarves] and mine [Iluvatar's Children], the children of my adoption and the children of my choice".
Let's see that again... Illuvatar is speaking, here.

Quote:
the children of my adoption and the children of my choice
So, the dwarves are 'the children of illuvatar's adoption'.
They are considered 'children of illuvatar.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:08 PM   #18
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, Wayfarer, fair enough. Children of their adopted parents ARE their children.

However, in the Silmarillion, it states that Aule hopes that "his" children will "at the End" be accepted as "Children of Iluvatar".
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:22 AM   #19
UnStashable
Enting

I’m sorry bropous but to me it seems your taking the proverbial tulip in the Equally proverbial Rose patch and trying to claim its not a flower (proverbially of course).

As to the Slain ents I thought the spirits that entered them where at least maia-ish. So any ents slain be physical force would just float around or go back to Valinor, but I really have no solid idea.

Could this question also be applied to the eagles of Manwe or even other animals like huan? Just kind of reaching blind here.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:10 AM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"I’m sorry bropous but to me it seems your taking the proverbial tulip in the Equally proverbial Rose patch and trying to claim its not a flower (proverbially of course)."

Uh, UnStashable, could you be a little more specific as to which tulip in the rose patch I am claiming is not a flower?

If you're referring to the assertion that the Dwarves are not the Children of Iluvatar, that is directly from the Silmarillion, "Of Aule and Yavanna", Pages 40-42. Conversation between Aule and Iluvatar.

Hey! That tulip ain't no flower! What the hell is wrong with this rose patch, anyways???