Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Wight names?

"The Barrow-wights we know by many names" said Elrond (The Council of Elrond, LotR).

Anyone know these names?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 06:25 PM   #2
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

nope. I have missed that quote... I am sure one of our resident scholors knows though.
i will go look in my Middle Earth encyclopedia....
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:53 PM   #3
emplynx

I have consulted my trusty The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth : From the Hobbit to the Silmarillion and it has no alternate names for the Barrow Wights. The Black Chasm also has no information on other names of these wights.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:42 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Billy Wight, Sammy Wight, Robin Wight...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 01:02 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I've heard at least three of them are known as "the Wight Brothers". Plus, one or two of the darker females of Middle Earth have claimed they have met "Mr. Wight"...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:32 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I still sleep with a Night Wight...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 05:43 PM   #7
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

I think some people treat this issue as very light wight...
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Old 01-04-2002, 06:00 PM   #8
emplynx

If I remember correctly, the extremely tired ones are burned out wights.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:47 AM   #9
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

It Wight be a good idea to close it before the puns get worse.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:33 AM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Has anyone yet mentioned Gandalf the Wight? ;- )
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:36 AM   #11
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

I'll bet they wear wighty-tighty's
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:58 PM   #12
emplynx

Thier name is a funny thing, I always imagined them as black not wight...
Old 01-05-2002, 04:11 PM   #13
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

According to Thomas Paine's "The Wights of Man", every wight has the wight to choose its own name.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:17 PM   #14
emplynx

FrodoFriend, I believe that your are wight on that...
Old 01-05-2002, 06:33 PM   #15
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

You know what guys?
You´re all a wight for sore eyes!!
Old 01-05-2002, 07:19 PM   #16
emplynx

I am considering that Elrond wasn't Wight about the Wight's names.
Do you think that the Barrow-Wight's were left or wight handed?
Old 01-05-2002, 07:51 PM   #17
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I believe I speak wightly when I say that I doubt anyone has ever considered it before.
Maybe Elrond *was* mistaken. Why would anyone bother to make other wight names? After all, you know what they say: Out of wight, out of mind.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:49 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Or maybe he meant different names in different languages.

I.E. Gandalf had 'many names in many tongues'

He could have said 'The Ringwraiths we know by many names' in which case he would have been referring to Ulairi, Nazgul, etc. That's likely what it is.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:46 PM   #19
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, now, if we're talking about names for the Nazgul/Ringewraiths, the only one really individualized is the head Nazgul, also known as the "Witch King of Angmar". Also, in the Silmarillion, three of the Nazgul/Ulari are said to be "great lords of Numenorean race".

As for the Barrow-Wights, no names are listed, only that they were evil spirits who had inhabited the Witch Kingdom of Angmar and invaded the barrows/crypts of the Kings and Lords of the Northern Kingdom, coming down from Angmar and Carn Dum.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:28 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I was, uh, using the different names of he Ulairi as an example of how the wights could be 'known by many names'.