Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2001, 11:03 PM   #1
ringbearer
Elf Lord

How is the movie doing at the box office?

Just wondering and hoping it would outdo Potter!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 11:49 PM   #2
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

No, I don't think it has. And why do you care anyway? None of the money goes to you. It doesn't even really show which movie was more popular........or why do you care what the majority of people may pay money to see? Go see what you like.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 11:54 PM   #3
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I care because I want the movie to do well, thats all. If the movie brings in more fans of LOTR, it would be great!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 12-28-2001, 12:00 AM   #4
HOBBIT

That should have nothing to do with how much money it makes.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 12-28-2001, 12:10 AM   #5
Ben
Retired Ent

From http://www.boxofficemojo.com :

Quote:
The Lord of the Rings drew in a whopping $13.964 million on Wednesday, down just 23% from its $18.214 million opening day last Wednesday. Its 8-day total stands at $107.997 million, pulling ahead of Ocean's Eleven to rank #16 for the year so far.

At this scorching pace, The Lord of the Rings should reach at least $165 million by the end of the year.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:30 AM   #6
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Thanks Ben, for not flaming me, and answering my question!

HOBBIT...My question seems to offend you, why? As far as I know, a films popularity is judged by "how much money it makes".

A book is judged the same way...I.E. "Best Seller".

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 12-28-2001, 10:20 AM   #7
Darth Tater
The man

The more money this one makes, the better the post-production work on t2t and rotk will be, so it IS important.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 04:59 PM   #8
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Not to mention, better DVD features (Cast Commentary for one), more cool CG shots for the next two movies and maybe even Peter Jackson could even film some extra or extended scenes.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 07:20 AM   #9
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I'm also curious to hobbits respones

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 04:21 PM   #10
HOBBIT

Sorry if you thought I was offended - no, not really. For a book to be a bestseler, its how many copies of the book is sold. It could be $0.25, be a bestseller, and make less money then some other book that isn't. Usually, yes, a book that sells a lot of copies will make a lot of money. You guys have your own opinions.... I just don't really care about how much money a movie makes....possibly how many tickets sold, but not even that. I just care whether I enjoyerd the film or not. I don't care, say, if 'BOB' didn't. I also care jsut how my friends or people that I know felt about movie thats I see..including this one. I guess people want to be on the winning team, you know say "I saw the movie that made such and such money" Hey, I loved some movies that did 'terrible' in the box offices and really hated some great money makers. How much money a movie makes still doesn't really tell you how many people liked or enjoyed the movie anyway (same with bestsellers, but still different). No matter how good it was going to be, everyone knew that lotr would generate lots of money (although maybe not as much if it weren't this good and so many viewings). Furthermore, I don't recieve any of the money....correct me if I"m wrong but doesn't it just go to paying people more outrageous sums of money? The movies are more or less done..whatever scenes or whatever they needed they could get...if at worst go the fans so....

Old 12-30-2001, 05:41 PM   #11
Prince Faramir
Enting

yeh but are we talking

about record levels? or is it a disappointing gross so far?

Daniel ' wants lotr's to far out do parry hotter'
Old 12-30-2001, 07:37 PM   #12
HOBBIT

see, thats just silly...btw my last post was rushed as I was just about to go to see a very stupid, painfully stupid movie...and this one is rushed to as I am about to go out to diner.................who cares if it beats potter? not I.

Old 12-30-2001, 11:14 PM   #13
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

I suppose your right the only think we should judge a movie on is whether or not we like it. We shouldnt think of it as being on a winning or losing team...but Im probably still going to.

go team
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:35 PM   #14
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

grosses

The initial grosses of the FOTR were very important. If this movie had flopped, would New Line gone ahead with the next two (considering movie budgets are eaten up by Digital Effects - which is what is still to be completed of TT and ROTK). However now that is is most definatly a hit the totals are just for show - will it beat Harry (maybe), Star Wars (perhaps) , Titanic (not bloody likely). For a run down of this refer to http://www.boxofficemojo.com/ for domestic and international grosses. FOTR stands at 300 million globally and it has yet to open in a number of countries.

Last edited by Kevin McIntyre : 01-02-2002 at 03:44 PM.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:48 PM   #15
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Well as of the 31st of December the gross stood at $310 million based on world wide box office reciepts. So does that pay for the entire shooting? or is that number just that Gross Reciepts? Does anyone know what New Line's percentage take would be?

Last edited by Pailan : 01-02-2002 at 03:49 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:53 PM   #16
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

more than mine. The production costs of the FOTR is about 95 million, so yes it has made money already. However money has already been spent on TT and ROTK. As everyone should know, the real money is in merchandizing (see Mel Brooks in Spaceballs for his thesis on this). At this point the franchise is set to make a ton of money by 2004.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:14 PM   #17
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

I just checked at Yahoo movies and it said that an estimate of the cumulative gross is $154, 517,000. An estimate of the weekend gross is $37,350,000.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 06:16 AM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

those are the DOMESTIC grosses the worldwide ones are added to the total

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:21 PM   #19
olorin7
Hobbit

another reason that it is important about how well the movie does is the more people that see it (since movie prices are consistant between different movies this can be figured out by the amount of money made) the more people that will be introduced to tolkien. much of the movies take is made up of children who are hearing of tolkien for the first time. because the movie has made a lot of money, many of tolkiens books have went back to the #1 best seller slot where they belong. as for myself it is somewhat important how the movie is doing because i know that for every so many dollars that the movie makes, someone will likely read a tolkien book for the first time and i know that the more his books are read, the more people will keep their minds open to things other than the repetitiveness of every day life.

a world without tolkien would be a bit less bright
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:42 PM   #20
orald
Enting

And usually decrease in total percentage,from opening day means a bad movie,where a steady hold on box office take,means people are telling there friends to go see the movie.which I guess is whats happening to LOTR.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote