Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2001, 06:17 PM   #1
Quickbeam
Hobbit

arwen aragorn elrond and galdriel

I know that arwen, aragorn, elrond, and galadriel are all connected somehow, but how does all that lineage work?
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 06:20 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Elrond married Galadriels Daughter who gave birth to Arwen. Aragorn is a descendent of Elros, brother of Elrond.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 06:50 PM   #3
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

But wait, there's more!

Elrond's great grandfather was Turgon, son of Fingolfin. Fingolfin's brother Finarfin was Galadriel's father. (According to the Silmarillion, anyway. I know the Noldorin houses were garbled in the Sil, but I think that Galadriel's parentage was unchanged).

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 08:51 PM   #4
Quickbeam
Hobbit

how?

then how is aragorn a human, adn elrond an elf?
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 09:19 PM   #5
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Elros and Elrond are only Half-Elven, sometime in their life they had to choose what race they wanted to be, Elros chose the fate of men and Elrond choose the fate of the Elves.

Elros then went on to become king of Numenor.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 10:00 PM   #6
rashbold
Hobbit

The descent of Aragorn

As was already mentioned, Elrond and Elros are brothers, and they were the sons of Eärendil, the son of Tuor and Idril, and Elwing, the daughter of Dior and Nimloth. Tuor was the son of Huor of the Third House of the Edain (RÃ*an was his mother). Idril was the daughter of Turgon of the House of Finwë (Elenwë of the Vanyar was her mother). Dior was the son of Beren and Lúthien. Although he can be considered as the first of the Half-elven (Pereldar), he was not given the power to choose his kindred and doom. Nimloth was of the kin of Celeborn (although the relation is somewhat blurred due to varying accounts--one account even had her as Celeborn's sister!).
Now, Elrond and Elros were given the power to choose, as did Eärendil and Elwing, to what kindred they will be judge in the End. Elrond chose to be with the Eldar, but Elros, chose to be judged as a mortal Man. He was given the grace of long life, to five hundred years, and became the first King of Númenor. Elendil was his descendant through Silmariën, the sister of Tar-Elendil the third King.
Elendil had two sons, Isildur and Anárion. From Anárion were descended the Kings of Gondor, a line which died out with the disappearance of Eärnur in TA 2050. From Isildur were descended the Kings of Arnor, the Kings of Arthedian and the Chieftains of the Northern Dúnedain. During the War of the Ring, that Chieftain was Aragorn.
Now Elrond wed CelebrÃ*an the daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel sometime during the Second Age, and their children were Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen. So indeed, Aragorn and Arwen were indeed akin from afar.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:45 PM   #7
Elrond
Sapling

Plus I am married to Celeborn's Daughter
Elrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 10:55 PM   #8
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

It's weird to think that Galadriel is Elrond's mother in law.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:28 AM   #9
Gwaihir
Sapling

I am not sure that they are mother and son.
I think they are Mother in law and son
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 12:29 AM   #10
Gwaihir
Sapling

Whoops sorry

sorry about that bit of repetition, forgot what he said.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:41 PM   #11
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Finmandos12
It's weird to think that Galadriel is Elrond's mother in law.
That is *very* weird, I agree. I wonder if they have family squabbles? That could be amusing.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 02:21 AM   #12
arynetrek
Elf Lord

family squabbles among the Elves? um, remember Sil, anyone? shall i start giving names?

something i find a little strange among the Elves is how relaxed they seem to be about "closely knitting" families - for example, the knot of people we're talking about. no matter how many years were between us, i (as a 20th century person in america) would still feel weird about marrying my uncle's great-great-etc-etc. grandson.

wondering if that makes any sense,
aryne *

Last edited by arynetrek : 12-06-2001 at 02:32 AM.
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 03:03 PM   #13
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Aragorn was at least 20 generations removed, and I'd lean towards more.

It's not like they were marrying a close relative.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:41 PM   #14
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Certainly not. All the Kings of Númenór, Rulers of Andúnië, Kings of Gondor and Arnor and Chieftains of the Dúnedain for some five thousand years lie between Aragorn and his ancestor Elros, brother of Elrond. Arwen described the two of them as 'akin from afar'.

There was in fact a law among Elves banning romantic relationships between people closer than cousins to the second degree (Celeborn and Galadriel were second-cousins, by the way, Galadriel's mother and Celeborn's father being first-cousins).
Old 12-07-2001, 12:56 AM   #15
arynetrek
Elf Lord

like i said, i'm probably overreacting.

so Inoldonil, where do you find your huge wealth of information?

curious,
aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:35 AM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Wealth, schmealth. I've got a lot to learn yet, as some other folks here will tell you. But thanks.

I have got most of Tolkien's books that surrounds his mythology (though I have not read all of the ones I have), so I have the sources. I'm missing two HoMe books and the Road Goes Ever On. I have too much time to read and I take too much advantage of that.

As for Celeborn and Galadriel's relationship, that there is a kinship may be deduced from the Silmarillion text. Galadriel is the daughter of Eärwen, daughter of Olwe, who is the brother of Elwe. And Celeborn is described as a kinsman of Elwe. So it must follow that Galadriel and Celeborn are akin. To get a good look at Tolkien's ideas about their relationship, you need Unfinished Tales, War of the Jewels and The Peoples of Middle-earth. Actually Unfinished Tales will give you a good enough idea: the idea that is consistent with the Lord of the Rings, and the one that is not, but War of the Jewels gives information about an earlier idea that is still consistent with the LotR and Peoples of Middle-earth has more to say for the inconsistent one. The texts concerned are the Galadriel and Celeborn section in UT, The Shibboleth of Fëanor in PoMe and one of the late chapters in WotJ, I don't remember which, it's one of the passages dealing with the Annals of Beleriand, I think.

Anyway the genealogy is this: King Greymantle of Doriath had two brothers: Olwe and Elmo. Olwe's daughter was Earwen and Elmo's son was Galadhon. Galadhon and Earwen were thus cousins. Earwen married Finarfin and their daughter was Galadriel, Galadhon married somebody and one of their sons was Celeborn.

The other son of Galadhon was Galathil. His daughter was Nimloth, who was mother of Elwing, mother of Elrond and Elros.

Elrond had a fascinating twisted web of ancestors. His wife CelebrÃ*an was his fourth cousin once removed, on the Grey-elven side of the family.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:39 AM   #17
olorin
Hobbit

hmmmm

That is really incredible (and helpful) Inoldonil.
This is a little off topic, but what would be the longest marriage in ME? My guess would be Celeborn/Galadriel's, because it lasted through all the ages, and then throughout time in Aman.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.....
olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 05:13 PM   #18
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Re: hmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by olorin
That is really incredible (and helpful) Inoldonil.
This is a little off topic, but what would be the longest marriage in ME? My guess would be Celeborn/Galadriel's, because it lasted through all the ages, and then throughout time in Aman.
Well, Inoldonil can´t deny his knowledge by using famous proverbs like "Wealt Schmealth"! Not credible!

As for the longest marriage, would that not be some couple from the original trek from ME to Valinor. Some of the Vanyar perhaps? Just guessing. As for being married IN Middle-Earth, perhaps you are right.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'

Last edited by Kirinki54 : 12-11-2001 at 05:14 PM.
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 01:13 AM   #19
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

LOL about schmealth, Kirinki.

I wonder if Elven marriages were considered to continue after 'death'? If the sprits of the first two Elves to awaken (Imin and Iminyë) went to Mandos after whatever death they may have suffered -- and remained there -- they could conceivably be the longest-married couple.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:03 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No.

Remember Finwe? His first wife died, and was concievably less than a few day's walk from him (in Mandos, whereas he lived in Tirion). As soon as she died, he married that Vanyar girl, and caused that really big family fued, that ended with everybody dying, and those jewels, and morgoth, remember?

So... elven marriges only last when both are incarnate.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-17-2001 at 04:11 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote