Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2001, 07:21 PM   #1
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Paranormal

So are there aliens? Or just a bunch of people that like publicity? You believe in ghosts? Haunted houses? Witchcraft?

Personally I think it is all imagination. As far as aliens go, I think some people just cant picture our pathetic plant being the only thing out there, well and then there’s those who make up abduction stories to get attention.

Being fellow lotr fans I have respect for most of you, and I am curios to see what you think about it.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:19 PM   #2
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

I think we can't really know, either way. Logically, it would be pretty difficult for there to not be some life develop elsewhere in the galaxy. As for spirits and such, there certainly are many stories about them. They can't really be disproved, in any case. I am a steadfast believer in not believing. (After all, nothing can really be proven, in the end.)
Old 10-08-2001, 08:57 PM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

*cough*

This belongs at Strangelove.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:54 PM   #4
anduin
Entwife

Is that your professional opinion as a mod?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:41 PM   #5
Bradistic
Hobbit

Quote:
Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists [elsewhere in the universe] is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes)
Any one who is smart enough to get themselves here would also be more than smart enough to leave us alone because we are doing a good enough job of killing ourselves without their help.
Bradistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:07 PM   #6
gdl96
the greg the admin

LoL...I love Calvin and Hobbes!!!
Old 10-09-2001, 04:13 PM   #7
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I've always assumed that there's someone else out there. I mean, it's a really big universe, there's got to be some other planets that can support life.

I don't think that the aliens that are out there are the UFO, Roswell type. There was something going on in Roswell, Area 51, etc. but it most likely wasn't aliens. Probably experimental planes or something.

Ghosts... I can honestly say that I have no idea. There are a lot of stories, and although most of them aren't true, you just never know.

As for witchcraft, I've heard enough creepy, true stories involving ouiji boards and stuff that I kind of believe in it.

I like the supernatural, even though I don't believe in a lot of it. The X-Files is one of my favorite shows.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 06:02 PM   #8
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
The X-Files is one of my favorite shows.
Mine too

JESUS LIVES!
Old 10-10-2001, 12:23 PM   #9
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

I'm sick and tired of Greg getting to "advertise" his board all the time and everywhere on Entmoot.

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 10:06 PM   #10
anduin
Entwife

Mods and admins at Entmoot have had a long standing tradition of promoting their own boards. In exchange for this privilage they have to endure hazing from fellow members and administrative staff.

However, Greg has taken this privilage to new heights!
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 03:13 PM   #11
gdl96
the greg the admin

I think my board is a better place to discuss things on this topic. That is what my board is for.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:51 PM   #12
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Back to the topic....!

The odds are astronomical (pun intended) that life exists elsewhere in the universe. As far as ghosts go, nah, I don't believe in ghosts. Spirits yes. Ghosts in the traditional sense...no.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 09:40 PM   #13
ladyisme
Enting

"There are more things in heaven and earth..." I feel that saying is the best one to describe my veiws on this topic. After all, the truth is that we do not now and probably never will know everything.

P.S. I like X-files too.
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:27 PM   #14
Werewolf
Hobbit

I am not sure about aliens, I sure as hell have never seen them! as far as superstition goes, I am a firm believer.

Last edited by Werewolf : 10-17-2001 at 08:29 PM.
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:29 PM   #15
Werewolf
Hobbit

X-files is great!
Old 10-17-2001, 11:47 PM   #16
ryan
t2t relic

i wouldn't be surprised...

they added do'h to the oxford dictionary.. anythings possible, eh?
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 12:13 AM   #17
Sakata
Elven Warrior

are you serious!? thats cool! I am a big Simpsons fan!

JESUS LIVES!
Old 10-18-2001, 05:49 PM   #18
Varda
Elven Warrior

As far as paranormal/supersitious belief goes:

Firstly, I'm aetheist/agnostic, so I tend not to belief in spirits, angels etc., however, I recognize that it is logically impossible to dis prove anything. Things can only be proven in the positive sense. Hence, we can never be 100% sure. This leaves us with faith as the only basis for deciding whether we believe or not, and blind faith is something that I don't feel personally comfortable with.

On that note...

Aliens: I think lifeforms of sorts almost certainly exist on other parts of the universe, however our qualification of "intelligent" life may not fit per say.

Ghosts/Spirits: As mentioned... yes, no, maybe so... but I'm inclined to say no until I see proof (which I find highly unlikely).

Astrology: Pure B.S. as far as I'm concerned. I've heard some pseudo-scientific explanations of the gravitational effects of celestial bodies on human conditions. These don't really convince me, however. Horoscopes from magazine, etc. might be fun, but I would never take them seriously as they are written in such broad language that anyone could take parts of it and apply it to his or herself.

Witches: I know there have been religions in what is now the U.K. and (I think) other parts of Europe that lead up to the present notion of witches. Firstly, I like this sort of belief, because they deify a female and put a very heavy value on the earth, etc. Beyond that, I think belief in witchcraft was merely a tool used by colonists and people in Europe to attack certain women who they felt were too powerful or dangerous and who threatened the "status quo" or some other nonsense. I do not believe in the Halloween-ish crone dressed in black and flying on a broomstick. I do believe that some people possessed great knowledge of herbology and concocted "potions" and such... but they are not magical unless you don't understand them.

Last edited by Varda : 10-18-2001 at 05:51 PM.
Varda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:02 AM   #19
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

My turn!

this is an interesting topic for me! I devote my life to alot of these things. as far as my beliefs go, i think science and advances in science killed a huge chunk of our basic human ability to believe in things. Personally, i think that some things just need to be believed in, not proven or disproven. I'm a pagan, by the way, so my opinion is probably heavily colored by it ^^;

As far as aliens, i'd have to go with Varda, she seemed pretty logical. Since aliens, more likely than not, won't fit our stereotype of "little green men"

As for ghosts/spirits, i've seen and experienced far too many freaky things not to believe they're there. Ghosts, technnically, are spirits who still haven't given up they're link to the physical world. Now, i don't know this to be true or not, and you all probably think i'm crazy or something. BUt don't worry, a kingfisher never hurt anyone

Now, horoscopes and astrology are fun. but they are just that. I've memorized the zodiac, even the chinese one, and i think it's fun to do rune readings for people. But that's all it is, a fun passtime. It really is a load of poop, and if any of it does come true,then i'll just be mean and freak people out. I really get annoyed with those "psychics" who take money from ppl

P.S. Miss Cleo, she's actually from Haiti, her accent is fake. lolololol
Old 10-22-2001, 12:26 PM   #20
Reverie
Enting

Hey Darkhalcyon!

Off topic a little - forgive me I felt inspired! I'm a pagan/wiccan too! Please don't take the '/wiccan' as an insult, I've included things from different sources into a sort of compilation that works for me. I'm not trying to generalize your beliefs - trust me I know how irritating it can be! Just glad to see another friend of the earth out there! Hope to see more of you! REVERIE
Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote