Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2001, 05:08 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Strikes underway

How do you feel about it? I think it is overdue, but I think the U.S. wanted to give the people of Afghanstan the chance to get to cover first. It is a nervous situation. I don't wonder that something big may escalate from this, but I think it was necessary. Thoughts please?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 08:54 PM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

It's about time.

Trouble is, they'll probably do another terrorist attack against us

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 09:27 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
It's about time.

Trouble is, they'll probably do another terrorist attack against us
I agree.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:44 PM   #4
gdl96
the greg the admin

Yeah. I hope they don't use biological warfare on us. Many people have been fearing it.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:32 AM   #5
XRogue
Elven Warrior

They would likely have launched another terrorist attack whether we shot at them or not. The terrorist rhetoric is full of references to their hatred of America.
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 02:10 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I personally believe this is will, eventually work. There are so many places for Bin Laden and the rest to hide, being such a mountainius (We need a spelling checker) country so it will be a long and tiring campaign.

I just hope not too many innocent people are killed or lost in action, there has been enough innocents dead already.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 12:08 PM   #7
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

I'm not against the strikes made against the Taleban, but I don't think that U.S.A. should go on bombing other countries that protect terrorists. Something could come out of it...

And I hope no civilians get hurt. Many Afghans have already lost their homes. (On the other hand, there's not much to bombard: most of Afghanistan has been rubble and debree many years now.)

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 11:04 PM   #8
arynetrek
Elf Lord

(note to self: i will not rant... i will not rant...)

i think america should definitely be doing something to bring these terrorists to justice, but i don't think we should be destroying a country to do so. yes, afghanistan has been at war for decades & was badly damaged before the US began the strikes, but from the reports i've heard we're destroying the country's infrastructure & killing civillians while Bin Laden & his troops are getting advance word of the attacks & fleeing to safety.

i've been very anti-taliban since they destroyed the bamiyan buddhas, but i don't think we should destroy them just because they harbor a SUSPECT in the latest round of terrorism. Bin Laden is linked to other bombings, that is reason enough to bring him to trial (& IMO a long punishment) in the US, but we have not yet proven he was behind the WTC attacks. let's not forget: innocent until proven guilty. this is NOT the time to forget ideals, even if for most americans all they are is ideals.

america has the ability to plant spies who can get in contact with subversive groups - we do this to drug-traffickers all the time. so WHY, instead of bombing away a nation, haven't we sent people into afghanistan (or since we knew that bin Laden was a threat, why don't we already have these spies in place?) who can remove him & his affiliates quietly without punishing innocents for their (IMO) ridiculous excuses for leaders?

and while we're on the subject of the terror - if people can hijack planes with a box cutter, something's definitely wrong with airport security. while i'm against most of the suggested "precautions" against more attacks on the basis that they're GROSS invasions of privacy, compared to non-US airports i've been to, we were pretty damn lax.

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 11:33 PM   #9
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

I think the problem with the planes was two things.
1) The pilots are trained to give in to hijackers, as it is assumed more lives will be saved when people are ransomed, etc.
2) People could easily overcome the terrorists, if they all rushed them, but usually they are too afraid, or too slow, and once the plane is overtaken, it is basically too late.

From what I have heard, most of the bombings have been military targets, and while innocents have surely died, hopefully it is as few as possible. Also, I believe that, for the most part, Bin Laden is pretty identified as the culprit. I don't have any info on hand, however, to back that up. :/
Old 10-10-2001, 11:38 PM   #10
arynetrek
Elf Lord

i have to admit Bin Laden is a pretty likely suspect. but from what i've heard (which may be a little out-of-date) they're not sure he's responsible. also, as people were pointing out in the WTC attack thread, most terorist groups claim responsibility quickly for their actions but Bin Laden has said at least twice he's NOT responsible - i don't trust the man but it's enough to make me uncertain...

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 12:44 AM   #11
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

Typical terrorist attacks are done to, usually, make a point or further a cause. This one was peculiar in that it was more aimed at deliberately harming and crippling america. As well, if he admitted, he would know that would cut short any attempts to do more harm.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:11 AM   #12
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Bin Laden was cunning in not claming responsibility; just see how so many people in the East support him because they believe him to be a guiltless holly man… now he is using the suffering of the Afghans to stir more anger against the West, ( and not just against America).

I don’t know if the next attack will be made in America, Europe too is a tempting target, and we already have some of those religious extremists here… It might just be easier to strike here now.

As for the bombing, the point is bin Laden must be brought to justice. I’m pretty sure that if nothing was done he would launch another attack anyway, and terrorists would be even more bold and ruthless than before.
The bombing doesn’t look like the best way to get at him, but the targets are his Taleban buddies, that share and support his views. If they remain and bin Laden is captured or killed they will just pick his work were he left it.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 11:15 AM   #13
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Even if he didn't do this bombing, he still bombed our African embassies.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:55 PM   #14
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

I'm beginning to think that the U.S. and Great Britain are going too far with their project. It is obviously the people of Afghanistan, not the Taliban that suffer the most. If U.S. airforces tend to go on bombing Afghanistan through out the winter, the people will have no other option than to leave their country or starve to death. Something should be done, but I in no way see using weapons of such strong power and magnitude on a country so waek and poor, as activism against terrorism. Such actions could only manage to sprout more hatred, anger and by that, terrorism towards the U.S. and the Western world.

Old 10-11-2001, 02:07 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

First off, the U.S. gave the Taliban every chance to turn bin-laden over to them and they chose not to, which means they chose the action that is now occurring Secondly, at this point in time, it does not matter if bin-laden is resposible for the Sept 11th attacks or not. He is a known terrorist. The United States has specifically declared a war on terrorism, and it doesn't matter now who they are, or where they are. The goal is to try to eliminate as many as possible, or make them powerless. This has to begin somewhere, and I can't think of a better place to start then with bin-laden. It is unfortunate that innocent people are, and may be killed. That is a fact of war. Too bad the Taliban and bin-laden didn't see it that way on Sept 11.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:18 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by noldo
I'm beginning to think that the U.S. and Great Britain are going too far with their project. It is obviously the people of Afghanistan, not the Taliban that suffer the most. If U.S. airforces tend to go on bombing Afghanistan through out the winter, the people will have no other option than to leave their country or starve to death. Something should be done, but I in no way see using weapons of such strong power and magnitude on a country so waek and poor, as activism against terrorism. Such actions could only manage to sprout more hatred, anger and by that, terrorism towards the U.S. and the Western world.
Do you really believe that the U.S. doesn't care about these poor people that are prisoners of this pathetic excuse for a government that calls itself the Taliban which is no more than a terroristic body that hides behind its people like cowards. The U.S. cares. They have been endlessly dropping food and medical aid packs in Afghanistan throughout these airstrikes. If you are opposed to the way the U.S. is responding to the events of Sept.11th, how do you propose they deal with it?
Old 10-11-2001, 06:17 PM   #17
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

Everyone has interesting points, while i hate the fact that people have to die, i think that in this situation it's necessary. We must make examples of these people. like when you discipline children, almost. If they don't learn the lesson, they'll keep at it.

Now, america is by far not perfect, but we're doing the best we can. What else are we supposed to do? I just hope that this isn't vietnam all over again, though.
Old 10-14-2001, 11:38 AM   #18
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
It is unfortunate that innocent people are, and may be killed. That is a fact of war.
The attack going on isn't a war. Never has been and never should be a one. It is simply a military operation to eliminate the Taliban regime and cover Osama bin Laden. No civilians should get killed. Yet, according to the Taliban, about 300 people have already lost their lives in the U.S. bombings. The Taliban being what it is, these statements shouldn't really be considered valuable information without any supporting facts from independent and neutral sources. And yet the U.S. forces haven't denied anything.

Innocent people have died, perhaps not in the amounts mentioned above, and still are going to. Many have lost their homes in the bombings. Some are too scared to go to sleep at night thinking a bomb might hit their house. It is good that the U.S.A. distributes food and medical supplies, but is it enough when people have already lost everything else? Including their homes? And what about when the winter comes? First destroy their homes, then offer a helping hand by giving food and medical aid.

Do you think this makes Afghans believe you CARE for them? Does this make you think they'll stand on your side, except for the opposition and the underground resistance groups? They'll be laughing at the American's and European's faces when the next terrorist attack comes.

Old 10-14-2001, 01:00 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by noldo

The attack going on isn't a war. Never has been and never should be a one. It is simply a military operation to eliminate the Taliban regime and cover Osama bin Laden. No civilians should get killed. Yet, according to the Taliban, about 300 people have already lost their lives in the U.S. bombings. The Taliban being what it is, these statements shouldn't really be considered valuable information without any supporting facts from independent and neutral sources. And yet the U.S. forces haven't denied anything.
Your saying it isn't a war does not make it so. According to the U.S. and Nato, when the planes crashed into the WTC, it was then considered to be an act of war. And, if you remember, the U.S. did not respond immediately in a war like fashion.

Yes, the Taliban claim 300 civillian casualties, and as you know, they are not a credable source. As for the U.S. confirming or denying any reports, They have admitted that a cruise missle strayed off target and hit a residential area. There were no numbers given to the amount of fatalities.

Quote:
[i]Innocent people have died, perhaps not in the amounts mentioned above, and still are going to. Many have lost their homes in the bombings. Some are too scared to go to sleep at night thinking a bomb might hit their house. It is good that the U.S.A. distributes food and medical supplies, but is it enough when people have already lost everything else? Including their homes? And what about when the winter comes? First destroy their homes, then offer a helping hand by giving food and medical aid. [/B]
I am not saying "Oh well, that's too bad" when it comes to these innocent people dying. What I am saying is that if you want to point the finger at someone for that then point it at the Taliban and Bin-laden. As far as offering medical aid and food, I think that speaks highly of the hummanity that the U.S. feels for these people. Btw, alot of these people that are supposedly starving are very unhappy with the food that the U.S. is providing, and are pouring it out and feeding it to there pets. If I were as hungry as it is reported that they are, I would be greatful for what I was given.

Quote:
[i]Do you think this makes Afghans believe you CARE for them? Does this make you think they'll stand on your side, except for the opposition and the underground resistance groups? They'll be laughing at the American's and European's faces when the next terrorist attack comes. [/B]
You know what? According to news reports, most of these people do not have the slightest idea as to why any of this is happening. A journalist handed a Newsweek magazine to a bunch of civillians and they looked through it and saw the pictures of the WTC, and then they understood. One man's words: "We have always been kept in the dark. Maybe the U.S. should drop Newsweek Magazines with the food drops."