Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2000, 11:16 PM   #1
Obi Wan of the Fellowship

X-MEN!!!

Is anyone else here excited about this movie, which opens on Friday?? I know I am. Thus far all of the reviews have been excellent. I read x-men comics when I was younger. Did any of you?
Old 07-11-2000, 12:42 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: X-MEN!!!

If you'd bothered to check <a href=http://www.rottentomatoes.com>Rotten Tomatoes</a> you would have noticed that not all the reviews have been excellent.

I'm not in the least bit X-cited about this movie...
Old 07-11-2000, 02:57 AM   #3
Darth Tater

I think the special effects will rock but as a whole it'll be a lousy movie with bad acting and a bad script and weak storyline.
Old 07-11-2000, 11:18 AM   #4

Of the 17 reviews on that site, the VAST majority are positve, and the others are the first negatives I've read, so just lay off IronParrot. Heck, even AICN's reviews were all good, and they are the most critical group of whiners on the net. Anyway, I didn't ask who didn't want to see it and expects little, I was just wondering if there are any X-fans here at Entmoot!
Old 07-11-2000, 12:49 PM   #5
Film Hobbit

X-Men is VERY good source material for a deep and epic movie. This movie will either be INCREDIBLE on all levels, or it will stink like a rotting corps.

Personally, what I have seen so far lends me to believe that it is good, VERY good. And Rotten Tomatoes hates everything, they just say the exact opposite of what other reviewers say... so don't listen to them... heck don't listen to anyone, judge for yourself.
Old 07-11-2000, 02:04 PM   #6
IronParrot

Actually, Rotten Tomatoes doesn't say anything at all. They take other reviews from other sites and gauge the good-vs-bad review percentage.

Last week X-Men was in the dumps there... I guess I'll check again since more reviews are pouring in this week.
Old 07-11-2000, 05:19 PM   #7
Film Hobbit

idunno, every time I have ever looked at anything from Rotten Tomatoes it always gives it a negative rating... maybe its just me.
Old 07-11-2000, 05:48 PM   #8
IronParrot

Yeah, it probably is just you
Old 07-12-2000, 12:46 AM   #9
Darth Tater

I saw the preview thingy on Fox tonight. This movie is gonna suck.
Old 07-12-2000, 04:11 AM   #10
IronParrot

What was the preview like?
Old 07-14-2000, 07:52 PM   #11
bmilder

It opens today. I want to see it. How bad can it be? I'm not a particularly big fan, having read maybe one or two of the comics and seeing the tv show on occasion, but I do like the X-men somewhat so I want to see it. Plus there are good actors in it.
Old 07-14-2000, 09:10 PM   #12

Well, I dont know about you guys, but this movie is awesome!! I can't believe they got the X-Men so beautifully right! i've already seen it twice(last night at midnight, and this afternoon) and I'll see it a few more. Bring on the sequel!
Old 07-17-2000, 12:40 PM   #13
Film Hobbit

It is INCREDIBLE! They got the X-Men right for the most part, excepting a couple of storyline liberties they took, and most of all the movie is BALANCED.

It surpasses both Superman and Batman for that reason. Its not all action, there is a lot of time spent on plot, with just the right amount of action scenes. Unlike the early Batman movies it isn't to dark, but its not goofy and soft like the early Superman movies, it still has a hard biting edge to the characters.

GOOD. GO see it, best movie of 2000 so far.
Old 07-17-2000, 03:19 PM   #14
IronParrot

I've NEVER been enthusiastic about this film one bit, but I might give it a shot now because I'm getting some very good word-of-mouth about it.
Old 07-17-2000, 05:05 PM   #15
anduin

Notice how the subject is slowing wearing down. Eventually curiosity will the get the best of him and he will have to give in.

Just go see the movie!
Old 07-18-2000, 01:30 AM   #16
Jonce

Lucky sods, it reaches the cinema in September here in Britain !! Just have to wait !!

As anyone heard the rumour that if the X-men film is a success they'll be releasing Spiderman,The Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four movies ??

Jonce
Old 07-18-2000, 02:05 AM   #17
IronParrot

Those are all projects that are under planning, but haven't been given the greenlight yet. It's predicted that they'll be approved because of X-Men's success.
Old 07-18-2000, 03:38 AM   #18
juntel

I'm out of touch with the comics culture.
Are X-Men like the Fantastic Four that I read when I was young? (yes anduin, i did read when i was younger!)

They did a movie based on Mr.Magoo (with Leslie Nielson)... I'd expect any other cartoon to go big screen...
Old 07-18-2000, 09:29 PM   #19
bmilder

I saw it this afternoon. It was good It was a little silly how none of the mutants seemed to die. Are any of them really dead? *slight spoilers*Mystique looked very dead to me after Wolverine sliced through her, and yet we see she has assumed the shape of the Senator at the end. The remark about the yellow spandex was cute. I was a little disappointed that Beast wasn't in it, but there's always a sequel. Oh, and the movie is structured so you know there's a sequel. And now that X-men did so well at the box office, the sequel should be definite. The movie ends an awful lot like a cliffhanger for a film that should be standalone. It also seemed very short to me. But overall I liked it, and I think this was probably the best movie of the year so far.
Old 07-18-2000, 10:03 PM   #20
bmilder

Hey, check these out:
www.corona.bc.ca/films/de...-men2.html
www.corona.bc.ca/films/de...-men3.html