Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2001, 02:14 PM   #1
webwizard333

The Mummy! Returns

I find it odd that there's nothing in here about it (even if the first one was better). Did anyone else here even see it?
Old 09-13-2001, 06:34 PM   #2
Sakata
Elven Warrior

it was a pretty good movie, had no plot, but the special effects where awesome!

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 06:52 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Interesting... I thought I'd re-posted my review of it here but it appears I didn't.

Here it is:

Quote:
SUMMARY

Ten years after the events of The Mummy, Rick (Brendan Fraser) and Evie (Rachel Weisz) go to destroy the revived Im-Ho-Tep (Arnold Vosloo), who has kidnapped their son.

RECOMMENDED FOR:

Fans of the original, as well as anyone craving a good popcorn flick with non-stop action and no real thinking involved.

REVIEW

The Mummy Returns delivers on all the levels one would expect it to deliver. Keeping in mind that it is a sequel and using this idea as an adequate excuse to skip character introductions and get right to one FX-heavy action sequence after another, it is two hours of pure entertainment.

FX work in movies can really be described as being in one of two categories: implicit FX, where the focus is placed on "blend" and realism relative to the environment in which it is placed; and explicit FX, where it is not at all hidden that the fabrications are fabrications, and effectiveness is built around scope and spectacle. As a summer action-adventure movie, the FX work in The Mummy Returns is obviously of the second type. In the respect that the visuals in this film and their application are the reason most audiences will be drawn towards it, the film is successful. Large-scale CG swarms of pygmies and undead warriors are not convincing enough to be taken seriously, but are visually great enough so just seeing them blown into bits is damn fun. Also, this film is a good indicator that the mainstream big-budget summer flick has caught up to the level of The Phantom Menace in terms of explicit visuals.

The Mummy Returns is also successful as a sequel. It takes the characters of the first film and expands their histories and roles in the "universe" of the franchise. Patricia Velasquez's character of Im-Ho-Tep's love, Anck-Su-Namun, plays a far more prominent role, and appropriately so in the context of the movie. While some of the reincarnation **** involved in the sort of character expansion in The Mummy Returns will not appeal to everybody, one only needs to remember that this is a movie featuring a villainous scorpion with a pro wrestler's head to justify that expanding the characters by discussing their past lives really isn't all that ludicrous or out of place. Besides, it provides the setting for a cool action scene.

And in case you're wondering, the kid actually isn't that annoying.

Overall, The Mummy Returns is successful in living up to its apparent raison d'ĂȘtre as a mindless all-visual continuation of the "universe" laid down by the 1999 The Mummy. One FX-laden action sequence after another will surely satisfy thirsts for action. Obvious inspiration (I'll avoid the word "ripoffs") from the motifs set by the Indiana Jones films to create an adventurous mood are appropriate to the context of the movie. The Alan Silvestri score is much more motivic and appropriately adventurous in tone compared to the Jerry Goldsmith music of the film's precursor. Substance beneath the visuals? No treasure buried there. Plot? As full of holes as a rotting mummy that has been pumped with a few shotgun shells. If those elements ever came across as essential to how the movie seems to intend to present itself, I would complain - but they don't. The Mummy Returns is a celluloid hieroglyph reading "big summer action sequel", and stays true to that concept from beginning to end.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 12:09 AM   #4
Sakata
Elven Warrior

pretty much covers it, definatly not a think of thinking involved, I think the matrix was better becuse it had equal if not better special effects, a good plot, and it kept you thinking and guessing.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 11:18 PM   #5
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I loved "The Mummy Returns"! I agree that it wasn't as much fun as the first one, but it was charming and funny. And there were beautiful men as far as the eye could see! The effects were lovely and some of the cinematography was beautiful. I also agree it's not as good as "the Matrix", but they are really two very different kinds of films and I think it's unfair to compare them. "Mummy Returns" is a classic "Indiana Jones" type action film and it has all the classic characteristics of the genre; lots of action, treasure hunting, fighting, comedy, and spooky paranormal phenomenon. As Indy-type action flicks go, it was certainly more entertaining than "Tomb Raider" which I found strangely lacking in action for an action flick. But that's a whole other subject!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 06:19 PM   #6
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
It was ok I guess. I thought Branden Fraser and the one Magi were cuties, but there were too many special effects. Too much made it kind of hokey but I think they had to do that so people of softer dispositions would'nt freak out during the whole thing. I laughed my head off the first time I saw the Bus scene and I liked a whole bunch of different scenes in that movie that made me laugh so hard I almost rolled off the bed I was watching it from. I liked the Mummy better though, but they were both hokey in the fact they had too many special effects.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:56 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Oh no they are making a movie called "The Scorpion King" That looks really stupid.....plus if they want to staty true to their story line, we know how it ends.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 02:13 PM   #8
Thorongil
Hobbit

I saw it, I wish i hadn't, For a sequel it was messy, poor quality cgi, no story line, now the first film, that was Awesome, probably why I'm so dissapointed about the sequel
Thorongil men called him in Gondor,the Eagle of the star, for he waskeen eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak, but none knew his true name nor in what land he was born.He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. He was a great leader of men, by land or sea,but departed into the shadows whence he came, before the days of Ecthelion were ended.
Thorongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #9
Lis Kester
Sapling

I've got a secret crush on Imhotep, don't ask me why. So I actually liked the sequel best. More mummy screen-time!
Lis Kester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:11 PM   #10
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I loved the sequel, not as much as the first one true, but it was fun! And there were handsome men as far as the eye can see! But I agree that the Scorpion King movie just looks stupid! That guy was the one thing about Mummy Returns that I couldn't stand. Even with all that make-up and effects he still couldn't act his wasy out of a paper bag! And now he has a whole movie to suck in. I, for one, will not be rushing to see it!

Old 01-06-2002, 11:14 PM   #11
Arwen Undomiel
Sapling

I have to say the second one was good my favrote charachter was Ank-sun-amun because she or that one other guy didnt like that kid. But the first one's action was better and the three Americans were the best charachters.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:53 AM   #12
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Actually, a fella I knew when I was in college was one of the 3 Americans in the first film. Tuc Watkins, he played the cute one that gets his eyes ripped out. He's a great actor, and just a nice guy. I hope he gets more movie parts, I wish him the best and I just get a kick out of seeing him!