Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2000, 07:46 PM   #1
Gimli the Dwarf

Dealing With Dragons.

This series is cool. I liked it alot. has anyone else read any of these books?
(dealing with dragons, searching for dragons, calling on dragons, or talking to dragons?)
Old 04-11-2000, 10:22 PM   #2
Elanor

Re: Dealing With Dragons.

Hey, you got online somehow, Gimli! How did that happen? Obviously I've read the Enchanted Forest series, since I got you started on them... I liked the first two the best, then they got a little bit over-sequelish. You know? Not as original as the others, I guess, though still very original! Kind of like the author was just trying to get the story over with. I also read a short story by Patricia Wrede recently about the Enchanted Forest in the days after Talking with Dragons. I don't remember the title, but it was about this frying pan...
Old 04-12-2000, 12:31 AM   #3
IronParrot

The title rings a bell...
Old 04-13-2000, 12:22 AM   #4
The One Ring

I remember those, though I haven't read them for at least five years.... the frying pan story I did read, though, recently. Very funny books.
Old 09-21-2000, 11:08 PM   #5
DayStar2002

hehe

i know those books!! they are sitting up with my memory sorrow and thorn trilogy!!!! They are great books
Old 09-21-2000, 11:14 PM   #6
anduin

Re: hehe

Welcome to the board DS2002! Please make yourself at home.
Old 09-21-2000, 11:18 PM   #7
DayStar2002

you are quick!!
Old 09-21-2000, 11:24 PM   #8
anduin

Just happened to be in the neighborhood......
Old 09-21-2000, 11:26 PM   #9
DayStar2002

ahhhhhhhh lol well i must pick great timing it is nice meeting you!!
Old 09-22-2000, 03:09 AM   #10
anduin

Likewise.....maybe you should come and join us over in the General Messages forum, there you can meet your fellow Entmooters. I am sure you could find a topic that interests you.....and don't forget about the Tolkien forums.

Have you read any of Tolkien's works?
Old 09-24-2000, 10:55 AM   #11
dunedain lady

I love the Enchanted Forest books! I fully intend to name some of my future cats after Morwens. :-)
Old 10-03-2000, 11:16 AM   #12
Salli Canaliya

Hi! I'm not going to spned a long time introducing myself, since I'm not likely to be around all that much, but I was checking out Ezboards off the ring my regular board is on, and I just couldn't resist this topic.

Is the title of the short story "The Frying Pan of Doom," or something to that effect? I know that's what the weapon is called, but I don't have my copy of the book right now.

Someone mentioned that the second two were too much like sequels? Do you mean Calling on Dragons and Talking to Dragons? I think you must---who would say Searching (my personal favorite) isn't at least as good as Dealing? Did you know that Talking was actually first? So it's Searching- Calling, what we think of as 1-3, that are the real sequels. (Okay, prequels, if I must.) I find Talking much better now that I know this---when one has just read "1-3," it sems awfully silly to pretend we don't know all about Mendenbar, etc. And Calling makes a lot more sense if one knows that it had to set things up for what is now Book 4.

I think I've rambled enough for one day, don't you?
Old 10-12-2000, 10:22 PM   #13
Elanor

That does make more sense. I guess what I mean is this: Dealing has its own, fully contained story. Searching connects in with Dealing, but is still its own story. Talking is dependent on the earlier stories, but has its own plot. Calling is very dependent on the other stories and doesn't have a fully developed plot. It ends without resolution, and is resolved in Talking. So the last two are dependent on each other and seem "sequelish", at least to me. I still love them! But my favorites are Searching and Dealing--especially Searching because it has the love story .

I like that each book is told from a different character's point of view:

1. Dealing with Dragons -Cimorene
2. Searching for Dragons -Mendanbar
3. Calling on Dragons -Morwen
4. Talking to Dragons -Daystar (I'm assuming that you got your name from this character, DayStar2002...?)

The short story: Utensile Srength -Cimorene again.
I was glad to hear from her again! This is in an anthology, Book of Enchantments, of Patricia Wrede's short stories, and there is also a recipe for the chocolate cake mentioned in the story!

Who are your favorite characters? I guess mine is Mendanbar--he just seems so vulnerable and endearing , but still very cool and powerful.
Old 10-12-2000, 10:36 PM   #14
DayStar2002

your guess is as correct as mine :P hehe
Old 10-13-2000, 10:10 PM   #15
Salli Canaliya

I always feel kind of bad having favorite characters. But in these books my favorite character is probably Medenbar. The first few paragraphs in Searching, in which we meet him, are so much fun! I enjoy the introduction so much, that I am thoroughly biased.

Has anyone read any other Patricia C. Wrede books? I've dug up several, and they are usually very good.
Old 10-15-2000, 02:39 PM   #16
inSANaTEE Ordrin

Who is the author for these books. My appetite to read these has now been whetted. At least to have a gander to check them out.
Old 10-15-2000, 07:01 PM   #17
Salli Canaliya

Patricia C. Wrede. That's why I asked if anyone had read any of her other books.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:25 PM   #18
DayStar2002

i have read the short story ones but they really confused me
Old 10-18-2000, 02:30 PM   #19
SarahStar

That is because the short stories probably assume that you have read the books, and thus expect you to be familiar with the characters and settings.

Read the books! They're excellent! Warning: If you are the easily embarrassable type, you might not want to read them in public places. People tend to look at you kind of funny when you burst out laughing. (Ignore them---they don't know what they're missing!)

Wait a minute. I just went back and did some quick rereading and noticed that you have in fact already read the books.

What was so confusing? I'm curious. I really want to know. (Maybe I just missed something. Or maybe I cause such confusion myself that I don't notice it! :lol: )
Old 10-23-2000, 09:01 PM   #20
Elanor

I love the way they keep running into characters/situations/settings from traditional fairy tales. Like Herman the dwarf, who is stuck spinning straw into gold for his living, and just gets more and more children. Or the stone prince, who used the wrong dipper but can still move around, and went to hero-school with Art, who pulled a sword out of a stone. :lol: