Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2001, 05:33 AM   #1
HotaruTomoe

The Last Unicorn

Has anyone here read The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle? I think it's just a fantastic book. Sometimes I can almost see the Unicorn, Schmendrick and the rest in Middle Earth.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:47 PM   #2
X Rogue

Re: The Last Unicorn

Yes, I have read it, although I had to search awhile to find a copy to buy. I've also taped the movie, which was made by Rankin-Bass, in the late 1970's I think. Seen it?
Old 03-31-2001, 05:12 PM   #3
HotaruTomoe

*giggles* Seen it? I own it, plus the soundtrack for the movie. Both are awesome.
Old 04-02-2001, 02:15 AM   #4
bmilder

I have a vague memory of seeing the movie a long time ago, but I haven't read the book.
Old 04-02-2001, 03:31 PM   #5
X Rogue

Well, do read it, bmilder. It's a good read, and the movie is good. Taped it off my satellite movie channel advert week just recently.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:31 PM   #6
Miralys

I love the Last Unicorn. It's one of the books that I could read again and again and not get tired of. Very well written. I don't care much for Peter S. Beagle's other books but words cannot describe the Last Unicorn. It's a must read IMHO.

The film is well done too. The artwork is wonderful and so is the soundtrack. I used to watch it all the time when I was little.
Old 04-17-2001, 02:30 AM   #7
easterlinge

I saw something called "Flight of the Dragons" when I was very young. Hard to search for it though. Anyone ever heard of it?

I saw "the Last Unicorn" a looong time ago.... can't remember the plot.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I just read the Last Unicorn, and I was impressed. I liked it ALMOST as much as LotR, and that's saying something. I hear that they are making a new movie about it.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Isn't this the movie with a very young Tom Cruise in the staring role?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:31 PM   #10
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

No, that would be "Legend". He starred opposite Mia Sarah in it in 1986. The Last Unicorn was adapted into an animated movie (one of the voices was Christopher Lee!)

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #11
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

They're making another movie. I think this one is live action. It also has Christopher Lee in it.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 02-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #12
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Here's a website about the movie. It doesn't reveal that much, but it does say some things.http://www.the-last-unicorn.net/

Old 02-06-2004, 01:01 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I still think that Legend, thanks for correcting my memory, was a great film and had many suble overtones. As it too involved a Unicorn I fail to see why they'd redo that particular movie.

Last edited by Spock : 02-08-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:59 PM   #14
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Both are good, The Last Unicorn is one of my favourite books. Legend was my favourite movie from ages 4-9! I think thats what got me liking fantasy.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:45 PM   #15
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
I still thing that Legend, thanks for correcting my memory, was a great film and had many suble overtones. As it too involved a Unicorn I fail to see why they'd redo that particular movie.
That's true. I love that movie as well. That and Labyrinth are my two favorite fantasy movies. Probably because the writers from both collaborated with each other.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Old 02-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Ah a Bowie film that didn't get it's true due.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #17
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

THANKYOU! Its good to know that at least one other person understands that!

Old 02-12-2004, 07:23 PM   #18
Tûrethir
Sapling

I've seen the film and own the soundtrack - it's one of my fave animated films. I do make it my aim to read the book someday, as I've heard loads of good things about it!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:15 AM   #19
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

I don't remember the actual plot of The Last Unicorn and I actually just found out it was a book written by Peter Beagle yesterday (time for a trip to Borders...)

But the movie was the only movie I truly remember from my childhood. Sure, there were the Disney movies which I vaguely remember, but I haven't seen this movie in at least 10 years and I still have images of it in my head that I think of every once in a while. One of those stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why

There is a DVD coming out in the US on March 16th, I believe. Yay!

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #20
Jabberwock
Enting

Last Unicorn

I loved the Last Unicorn. We actually read it for a fantasy lit course in university along with LoR, and a few other books. It was great. I've actually never seen the movie version. Innkeeper's song was a pretty good book too, though it's not really what you'd call a childhood classic like Unicorn.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote