Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
AndMorgothCame.
Hobbit

Melkor Diminished

I remember reading somewhere about how when either Eonwe, or Manwe himself, confronted Morgoth during either the War of Wrath or the Dagor Dagorath, both beings were shocked in the actual size difference between them, due to Melkor wasting his being and spreading his power too thin. Can anyone please elaborate on this, and also list the text in which it can be read?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
AndMorgothCame.
Hobbit

Bump

Last edited by AndMorgothCame. : 01-25-2010 at 01:24 PM.
AndMorgothCame. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I recall the passage, it is not in the published SIL, so it is in HoME soewhere, likely in Morgoths Ring or The War of the Great Jewels. As I recall, it was mostly his spending his power/creative essence in the War against the Nolder and their aliies that weakened him, and then durring the War of Wrath the Valar dug up and dispersed the veins of Morgoth Element/sotred power (Mogroth's equivilent of Sauron's later One Ring, "the whole of middle earth was Morgoth's ring") that he has incorporated in the land to cut him off from that power reserve (and this was the main reason for Beleriand breaking up and sinking into the sea).
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 01-25-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I had not heard about this before, and it sounds interesting. I only own a couple of the HoME books, and haven't read those two all the way through (just got them to research particular interests).

I take it from what you said that Melkor was smaller when they met? Or was he more stretched out, but somehow less substantial? If the former, it's interesting - because he seems so large (compared to Elves & Humans) when he fights Fingolfin and when Beren & Luthien steal one of the Silmarils from his crown. If the other Valar were larger still, it's hard to imagine them having much of a working relationship with the Elves of Aman.

And really - I always would have thought the Valar could make themselves about any size they wanted to (as well as any appearance) in dealing with Elves & Men. So this is an interesting sounding episode.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I did not find the passage but looking up Eonwe in the index for the two book I mention.

Val, as I recall the diminishment was not in physical dimensions, but in power and majesty.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 01-25-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Got it. Thanks Lefty. That makes more sense - and I didn't think of it.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Its in Morgoth's Ring; Myths Transformed; VI, p. 391,

"Manwë at last faces Melkor again, as he has not done since he entered Arda. Both are amazed: Manwë to perceive the decrease in Melkor as a person; Melkor to perceive this also from his own point of view: he has now less personal force than Manwë, and can no longer daunt him with his gaze."

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 02-08-2010 at 04:53 PM.