Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Gnomes?

I was recently re-reading The Shaping of Middle Earth and came across a charcter that I had no knowledge of existing in Middle Earth. Christopher T. places an exerpt of a writing of Tolkien's; about the Gnomes of the mountains, the sorrow of Ulmo, and their helping him only to die at the hands of Melkor. Are these Gnomes just an idea of Tokien's left out of his great masterpieces? Or are they mentioned elsewhere and I am just too stupid to notice?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
CAB
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the Moot, Elleth.

As I recall, Gnomes is simply an earlier version of Noldor. Maybe a resident Tolkien language expert (and that certainly isn't me ) or someone with more knowledge of Tolkien's earlier work could give us a more in-depth answer.

I have noticed before that both words start with the sound "no". I would guess that this is not a coincidence.
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

I don't have the evidence at hand but I think CAB is right. Gnomes were an early word for Elves in Tolkien's writings. They may even predate the idea of the three families, but I'm not sure of that, either.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I don't have the evidence at hand but I think CAB is right. Gnomes were an early word for Elves in Tolkien's writings. They may even predate the idea of the three families, but I'm not sure of that, either.
IIRC Gnomes were the word used for only one family of the Elves: those who became the Noldor (as CAB said). Tolkien changed the term after considering the popular meaning of "gnomes" (Garden gnomes etc.)
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
IIRC Gnomes were the word used for only one family of the Elves: those who became the Noldor (as CAB said).
That would be right.

Quote:
Tolkien changed the term after considering the popular meaning of "gnomes" (Garden gnomes etc.)
Thank goodness!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Alcuin
Salt Miner

We are Lawn Gnomes!
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Sure you are not Lawn Noldor?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Galin
Elven Warrior

From Vinyar Tengwar 19 (the following is only a small part of an editorial response, further edited here for brevity by me):

Quote:
'(...) Does the changing of Widris to Nóm as a name for Finrod really indicate a move away from such a connection? On the contrary, the change shows Tolkien making the connection even closer, for Nóm 'Wisdom' is a far more obvious 'pun' than Widris, being instantly evocative of NE gnome, used in the early writings (...) to translate Noldor, the kindred to which Finrod belonged. (...) Nóm must be related to the Elvish bases ÑGOL- 'wise, wisdom, be wise' and ÑGOLOD- 'one of the wise folk, Gnome', as well as NOWO- 'think, form idea, imagine': and Tolkien obviously devised these forms to imply a genetic connection with IE gnó- 'to know', the root which led to Greek gnómé 'intelligence, thought'...'

Editorial response (fragment) to Tom Loback, Vinyar Tengwar 19
So, not the 'other' Gnome in any case
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

So good to have you here, Galin, with your Vinyar Tengwar and Parma quotes. Very insightful.