Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Elven Ears

[EDIT: Split off the thread: What all was wrong with PJ's LOTR - Eärniel]

I posted like crazy my first three or four years - it was so wonderful to find and talk with other JRRT fans! Now the urge is pretty much spent - I'm kinda in the sitting back and relaxing stage. I still love JRRT's works, but I'm done talking about them for now, although I still like hanging out with those who feel the same way that I do and that have become iFriends.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
I posted like crazy my first three or four years - it was so wonderful to find and talk with other JRRT fans! Now the urge is pretty much spent - I'm kinda in the sitting back and relaxing stage. I still love JRRT's works, but I'm done talking about them for now, although I still like hanging out with those who feel the same way that I do and that have become iFriends.
Moi aussi.

Actually started back about when Al Gore invented the Intertubes, at the old White Council in the 90's, and was totally wiped to find whole communities of Tolkien fans.

Round about the ten thousandth discussion of "who was Tom Bombadil" you tend to sit back and let others go at it.

Now if somebody was to open discussions on winged Balrogs, pointed Elven ears, Anglo-Saxon Rohirrim... the old juices might get flowin'

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 07-31-2008 at 11:12 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Anglo-Saxon Rohirrim...
You figure they were Jutes, maybe?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Round about the ten thousandth discussion of "who was Tom Bombadil" you tend to sit back and let others go at it.
*waves to GrayMouser*

Yeah, that's how I feel.

Quote:
Now if somebody was to open discussions on winged Balrogs, pointed Elven ears, Anglo-Saxon Rohirrim... the old juices might get flowin'
As much as I like the pointy ears, I think I gotta side with the non-pointy-ear crowd. There was that really old "leaf-shaped" reference ages ago, but that's only one thing - and time and again, elves were recognized by the light in their eyes and their fair faces and their beautiful voices. One would think that if they had pointy ears, that would be mentioned, too, at least once or twice.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 08-06-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
*waves to GrayMouser*

Yeah, that's how I feel.

As much as I like the pointy ears, I think I gotta side with the non-pointy-ear crowd. There was that really old "leaf-shaped" reference ages ago, but that's only one thing - and time and again, elves were recognized by the light in their eyes and their fair faces and their beautiful voices. One would think that if they had pointy ears, that would be mentioned, too, at least once or twice.
Maybe the hobbits could not see the ears due to long hair that would cover the ears. (Hard to comment on what you can not see.)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Or maybe everyone had pointy ears at the time, so it wasn't a distinction.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Or maybe everyone had pointy ears at the time, so it wasn't a distinction.
Sure. Why do you think Gandalf always kept his head covered? He was like Oblio.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

*sticks her Elven ears in*

(you see them better here http://www.henj.nl/watercolour/FoS.htm )

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 08-07-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Oblio - Great cultural reference. Good call.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r View Post
Maybe the hobbits could not see the ears due to long hair that would cover the ears. (Hard to comment on what you can not see.)
Nah, I'm thinking more of the works besides LOTR and Hobbit (the various HoME works), where humans like Tuor see elves.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Galin
Elven Warrior

A 'new' text might be interesting here. But first a selection from the older, more well known Etymologies, dated from the late 1930s (for a full description of this text see Christopher Tolkien's commentary in The Lost Road and Other Writings).

Quote:
LAS1- *lasse leaf: Q lasse, N lhass; Q lasselanta leaf-fall, autumn, N lhasbelin (*lassekwéne), cf. Q Narquelion [KWEL]. Lhasgalen Greenleaf (Gnome name of Laurelin). (Some think this is related to the next and *lassê ear. The Quendian ears were more pointed and leaf-shaped than Human).

The Lost Road
OK, and it's that parenthetical addition that has often been quoted in threads concerning the shape of Elven ears. In Parma Eldalamberon 17, Tolkien looks again at lasse. This text was written years later than Etymologies, after The Lord of the Rings was published (and JRRT had already published, for example, lasto 'listen' and lassi 'leaves', not to mention the name Legolas):

Quote:
Q lasse 'leaf (S las); pl. lassi (S lais). It is only applied to certain kinds of leaves, especially those of trees, and would not e.g. be used of leaf of a hyacinth (linque). It is thus possibly related to LAS 'listen', and S-LAS stem of Elvish words for 'ear'; Q hlas, dual hlaru. Sindarin dual lhaw, singular lhewig.

lasse 'leaf.'

JRRT Words, Phrases and Passages
For consideration maybe. This is a relatively new text and I find a comparison interesting. We still have a 'possible' relationship, as stated, but anyway I have to admit that if JRRT had written something more specific on Elven ears, after The Lord of the Rings, I half expected it might be here.

Last edited by Galin : 10-03-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote