Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Children of Hurin

Are you guys asleep?

I can't believe no thread has been started on the new release.

"Children of Hurin" is being published next month by Christopher Tolkien.

It is an expansion of the sad tale of Hurin and his son Turin Turambar, slayer of Glaurung, embarces the falls of Nargothrond and Gondolin, the delivery of the Nauglamir to Thingol, and the fall of Doriath. Hurin, who mocked Morgoth on his iron throne at Angband? Hurin, who hung for 26 years on the heights of Thangorodrim? Who betrayed the location of Gondolin, where Turon fought mortal battle with the King of the Balrogs? Ring a bell?

Has NO ONE heard of the impending release?

Find it at www.lucianne.com, search "Tolkien" and you will find the discussion thread.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Moved to Middle-earth forum.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about the new book on two seperate occasions by now, but I can't immediately recall or find those threads right now. The book was announced already last year so a lot of us are aware of it... and waiting.

I still think it's a pity Christopher chose Túrin's story to expand, it's my least favourite of the Silmarillion stories. Would have loved a novel of Lúthien and Beren, or Gondolin.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Gondolin! Gondolin! More Gondolin!!

*sigh*

Yeah, we talked about it somewhere ...

*checks* ahh, "New Tolkien book out next spring" in ME forum

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-27-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Release date: April 17.

Same day I go see Iggy Pop and The Stooges at the Fillmore! Woo hoo!!!!

[happy dance]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote