Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Theist/Athiest "what if?" thread

OK.
Suppose that you wake up tomorrow and all over the news is a piece...the first ever documented, verified and actual miracle has just occurred. Everyone on the face of the earth knows that something happened because they all heard a GONG go off in their heads at that exact moment (which is what woke you up). This is the real deal, as one would say. Proof that a supreme being exists.

The problem..?

It's not your God, and its not your religion.

*Doesn't matter what the miracle is, but it's impossible to interpret it as your religion*

So...
For the athiests. You were wrong, but then again..so was everyone else. Do you become born-again theists?
For the theists. What do you do about your current beliefs/religion/books/paraphenalia/churches/synagogues/laws etc...?
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Well, if the miracle was absolutely and indisputably genuine then I believe there would be quite a bit of chaos. As for myself the answer is easy. being agnostic I'd obviously start to lean toward whatever god figure the miracle is attributed to. Can't say the same about other people but I am going to assume that most people are very stubborn when it comes to religion so not many people will change. Especially atheists who always demand more proof. If there is one ambiguity at all to the miracle then no atheist will believe it.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I would suppose it to be a false prophet, a witch or wizard, some sort of magic, perhaps the anti-Christ. I believe in miracles that don't come from God- the Bible confirms their existence. So if I saw one that was proven valid, I wouldn't be all that stunned, intellectually. There are plenty of spirits that have the power to pull off miraculous signs and which also pretend to be God.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 11-07-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I would suppose it to be a false prophet, a witch or wizard, some sort of magic, perhaps the anti-Christ. I believe in miracles that don't come from God- the Bible confirms their existence. So if I saw one that was proven valid, I wouldn't be all that stunned, intellectually. There are plenty of spirits that have the power to pull off miraculous signs and which also pretend to be God.
It'd depend on scale? Let's say...really huge kinda thing. reminiscent of Biblical era but verifiable. Tower of babel reversed...everyone now speaks the same language and only that language and the races are reunited as one.

What if this deity-like being proved that most accepted religions are wrong or at worst, misinterpretations?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

How 'bout peace in the Middle-east?

I've no idea how I'd react, it'd depend on quite a lot of things I suppose.

Last edited by Falagar : 11-07-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I'm with Leif...one has to be on one's guard.

Btw, I think some atheists would say we were being attacked by aliens who possessed mind-controlling abilities...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Agreed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bishop
It'd depend on scale? Let's say...really huge kinda thing. reminiscent of Biblical era but verifiable. Tower of babel reversed...everyone now speaks the same language and only that language and the races are reunited as one.

What if this deity-like being proved that most accepted religions are wrong or at worst, misinterpretations?
Granted one or more super-miracles and proof that most accepted religions are wrong or misinterpretations, I'd really, really lean toward the anti-Christ perspective. The scripture predicts that the Anti-Christ will perform many great miraculous signs with which he will deceive men. He will also call himself God, which is another feature of the entity you describe. For the Anti-Christ to call himself God, he probably would have to say (and considering the devil's resources, probably would provide pretty good evidence) that most accepted religions are wrong or misinterpretations.

Bringing the races together may well also be a sign that he's the Anti-Christ- he is supposed to rule the whole Earth. Or she. I could accept a spiritual or female Anti-Christ, if she, he or it is pulling off the signs you're describing.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Personally, If I were the anti-Christ with all those powers and free reign, I wouldn't waste time trying to convince people that I was the creator. I'd start rearranging the furniture so to speak. Making the earth = hell. Highest pain and suffering per capita.

Ending suffering as a ruse? To what end?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishop
I suppose maybe because corrupting people and letting them think you're nice is much more fun.

Say Lief, where did you get all this stuff on the Anti-christ? Revelation?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I suppose maybe because corrupting people and letting them think you're nice is much more fun.
I think evil people tend to do both, what Mr. Bishop suggested and what you're saying. We saw that with Adolf Hitler. He corrupted his people, making them think he was nice, and caused incredible suffering to vast numbers of others. I think Hitler is rather like a type of the Anti-Christ. The Apostle Paul said in the Epistles that even as there is one Anti-Christ who is to come, there are many Anti-Christs in the world . . . those are types of him, people whose lives are like predictions of one who is to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Say Lief, where did you get all this stuff on the Anti-christ? Revelation?
Yes, Revelation is the primary source I'm using right now. There's information about the Anti-Christ in many books of the Bible though, Old Testament as well as New. I believe it's the Book of Daniel that predicts the Anti-Christ will claim to be God.
Quote:
Personally, If I were the anti-Christ with all those powers and free reign, I wouldn't waste time trying to convince people that I was the creator. I'd start rearranging the furniture so to speak. Making the earth = hell. Highest pain and suffering per capita.
I think if someone had that much power, he very well might care about making others think him to be Creator, because he'd have a big ego. Hitler had hymns in Nazi Germany changed, you know, to replace the word "God" with the word "Fuhrer." He had the common people singing his praises in church, praising him as a deity.
Quote:
I don't believe that the Anti-Christ will end suffering. I can very, very easily imagine him promising to end suffering, though, and going and feeding millions of hungry people to make himself look good and so expand his political power. But I wouldn't believe him. If you're in charge of a world government, you can do a lot of wicked deeds under the table, even on a huge scale. And if you are a super-being who is in charge of a world government, you probably wouldn't have to worry about freedom of the press getting your actions exposed, either.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishop
Suppose that you wake up tomorrow and all over the news is a piece...the first ever documented, verified and actual miracle has just occurred.
Interesting supposition, MrBishop. It's fun to speculate about what the reactions would be if this actually happened.

As for my own reactions, I certainly wouldn't believe everything to be the work of Anti-Christ. I guess I'd eventually have to come to terms with the fact that a supreme being exists but I don't think it would make me a more religious person. But then there's no way I could predict how I'd react to such a sensational happening.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I think evil people tend to do both, what Mr. Bishop suggested and what you're saying. We saw that with Adolf Hitler. He corrupted his people, making them think he was nice, and caused incredible suffering to vast numbers of others. I think Hitler is rather like a type of the Anti-Christ. The Apostle Paul said in the Epistles that even as there is one Anti-Christ who is to come, there are many Anti-Christs in the world . . . those are types of him, people whose lives are like predictions of one who is to come.

Yes, Revelation is the primary source I'm using right now. There's information about the Anti-Christ in many books of the Bible though, Old Testament as well as New. I believe it's the Book of Daniel that predicts the Anti-Christ will claim to be God.

I think if someone had that much power, he very well might care about making others think him to be Creator, because he'd have a big ego. Hitler had hymns in Nazi Germany changed, you know, to replace the word "God" with the word "Fuhrer." He had the common people singing his praises in church, praising him as a deity.

I don't believe that the Anti-Christ will end suffering. I can very, very easily imagine him promising to end suffering, though, and going and feeding millions of hungry people to make himself look good and so expand his political power. But I wouldn't believe him. If you're in charge of a world government, you can do a lot of wicked deeds under the table, even on a huge scale. And if you are a super-being who is in charge of a world government, you probably wouldn't have to worry about freedom of the press getting your actions exposed, either.
See...you're thinking of the anti-christ as a human being with such failings as ego. Trying to bolster political support...press-releases?

nono. I'm not talking about a human being at all. You're thinking on too small a scale. Omniscient/Omnipresent/Omnipotent... snuff galaxies out by snapping fingers. Something beyond good and evil...something that just IS and everything revolves around it.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #13
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

If you get the chance, read "Thomas the Proclaimer" ; excellent novella by Robert Silverberg based on just that premise .The miracle is geting the sun to stand still in the heavens for 24 hours; Thomas is a prophet who has manged to get a world-wide prayer for a miracle to show that God exists, and of course, six months later it's back to busines as usual as everybody ends up quarrelling over the meaning.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
nono. I'm not talking about a human being at all. You're thinking on too small a scale. Omniscient/Omnipresent/Omnipotent... snuff galaxies out by snapping fingers. Something beyond good and evil...something that just IS and everything revolves around it.
I find it highly probable that lots of people will think these things are true of the Anti-Christ. Also, the scripture says he'll perform "many great miraculous signs" to prove himself to the world. And he'll rule the world, which will think him to be God. That they might also think him to be beyond good and evil, and omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, is possible to me. Perhaps evil spirits also will know when a galaxy is going to go, and they might tell the Anti-Christ, who could then pretend that he'd done it. I'm just not going to underestimate this guy, and I feel quite sure that an event highly similar to what you describe is going to actually happen in this Earth's history and is going to deceive the vast majority of people in the world.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 11-10-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:01 AM   #15
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Good question, Bish! I've been mulling it over and waiting for some time to get in a post. We've been going thru some major decision-making things here lately - looks like we're moving to Arizona!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

When does your family leave?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Good question, Bish! I've been mulling it over and waiting for some time to get in a post. We've been going thru some major decision-making things here lately - looks like we're moving to Arizona!
*waves goodbye* I'll miss knowing your in SoCal, too.

Also, my view on questions like this is that no-one really knows what they would do until it happens, so what's the use?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #18
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

we're looking at leaving at the end of January, when the school term is over. Kind of hard to believe ... but kinda exciting, too, and we have great family there.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #19
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

That's good. It's nice being near family. Especially if they are great.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #20
Rían

yeah, the kids love their cousins, and I love my sis and bro-in-law. We're trying to get a place within walking/bikeriding distance to them.

It was fun meeting you, Gwai! I'll have to see if I can manage to bump into Lief before I go, too.