Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Moral Dilemmas

Or should that be "dilemmae"

Anyway, I wondered if it would be good to have a thread to post these and get all sorts of ridiculous advice and comedy, life-ruining suggestions from fellow Mooters.

And I've got one so here goes.

A friend of mine is getting married. His wife-to-be is a nightmare. And when I say "nightmare" I mean unbelievably rude, totally ignorant and utterly self-centred. I find it almost impossible to be in her company for more than 5 minutes without getting totally enraged. Obviously, I have said nothing to him.

However, he has recently expressed doubts to me about getting hitched. Should I tell him he is about to marry a gorgon?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Is there a wedding date set? (just gathering info... that's a tough one!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

In 3 weeks (guess who's the best man?)
Old 10-10-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ask him if theres a lot of money in it for him or something.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Heh. I'm pretty confident there's not. All he seems to get out of it is someone who tolerates him playing his computer games. There has been a slight suggestion that time is ticking away and it might not be possible to do any better.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

gorgon?? do you mean vogon
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

He hasn't at all realised he's engaged to a 'gorgon'? Or he has, and that's the reason he's having doubts?
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
In 3 weeks (guess who's the best man?)
*smacks self on head*

GTG out for a few - backson, as Christopher Robin says ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

If you think that it will make him unhappy then I suggest you tell him what you think. But if you think that he will be happy I suggest you stick with him, and if it doesn't end well then help him. But in the end it his choice, and you may need to stick with him, even if you think h made the wrong choice.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
gorgon?? do you mean vogon
She does not have the aesthetic appreciation of Vogons.

Don't know whether he knows, and hence the jitters, or whether they're just generic pre-nuptual jitters. Well, he doesn't think she's a gorgon, anyway.

TD, sound stuff. That, of course, is exactly what I intend to do. Thinking about the consequences, it is hard to imagine a good one. I don't think it's likely he'd change his mind.

Got to check me taters, thanks for that.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #11
inked
Elf Lord

Dear Gaffer,

I suspected that your name came from being in tight spots rather than one to commit social faux pas! Now we have proof in your tender concern for the mate who is apparently giving in to realism (that age remark).

If this gent is as well read as yourself, may I suggest the gift to him of a brightly polished shield, a sword, an invisibility cap, and - if you can manage it - a pair of winged sandals. If that doesn't communicate the true nature of events to him, then let what must turn to stone do so!

Should the above fail, or you do not have time to procure all the arcana, may I suggest that you offer to arrange a one-way ticket to out-of-here should he have any last minute qualms. My best man did so offer and, while from the vantage point of now I should have taken him up on the offer, I was not at the time in the least offended! Love, as you will have heard is blind (not to meantion deaf, mute, and dumb!).

Wishing I knew then what I know now!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
Rían

I was going to suggest handing her a mirror and hoping she turned into stone ...

Failing that - whew! That's a hard call. I wish I knew a few more details.

If this is a last-minute wedding, then I think it's somewhat more appropriate for you to take him aside and say, "you know, this is really hard, but I'd hate myself if I didn't do it because I wouldn't be acting as a true friend. I really have concerns about this woman in the following areas (list areas). For example, when this happened, she did this. And when this happened, she said this. Tell me to bug off if you want to, but because I'm your friend, I just had to tell you this. It's your decision, but I want to make sure you have all the information you can."

If it's NOT a last-minute wedding (IOW, if you've known you'll be best man for about 4 months now), it's a little trickier, but you could preface it with "I know I should have spoken waaay sooner, but it's so hard to be the one to bring unpleasant topics up...."

It just depends on how well you think you know him, and a lot of other things. But I think TD's advice is pretty good. There's NO good answer to this, unfortunately.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:22 AM   #13
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Should the above fail, or you do not have time to procure all the arcana, may I suggest that you offer to arrange a one-way ticket to out-of-here should he have any last minute qualms. My best man did so offer and, while from the vantage point of now I should have taken him up on the offer, I was not at the time in the least offended! Love, as you will have heard is blind (not to meantion deaf, mute, and dumb!).

Wishing I knew then what I know now!
Don't we all. Though in my case if someone had done this, I too would have ignored it. Love indeed hath total sensory deprivation at times.

The other thing that's holding me back is the thought that maybe they're actually quite well suited to each other and if he wants to get married he won't find anyone else.

Not a last-minute thing, Rian, though I have only really got to know the extent of the horror in recent weeks.

I think I will keep mum but it is a good idea to be on standby in case of last-minute epiphany.

Failing that, I will wait until the bloke goes "If anyone knows any reason why this man and this woman should not be joined in marriage..." and then scream hysterically "DON'T DO IT! SHE IS EVIL, CAN YOU NOT SEE?"
Old 10-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

In The Spirit Of Monty Python

THIS IS SILLY, TOO SILLY, NOT NEEDED, SHOULD BE CLOSED OR RAMBLING ON IN THE TEACUP CAFE
Old 10-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #15
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
The other thing that's holding me back is the thought that maybe they're actually quite well suited to each other
I thought this guy was your friend! If he's as bad as that then they belong together and you're doing the rest of humanity a favour by keeping them from marrying other people...

But otherwise, how long have they been together? Perhaps he knows about her bad qualities, has got used to them and thinks he can put up with them.

Last edited by sun-star : 10-11-2005 at 09:32 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #16
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
THIS IS SILLY, TOO SILLY, NOT NEEDED, SHOULD BE CLOSED OR RAMBLING ON IN THE TEACUP CAFE
Well, perhaps not! I do think the heading moral dilemna a bit overblown in the scale of cosmic diversity however . I mean isn't the chap an individual capable of making his own decisions for which he then bears the responsibility in both cases - that of the bloke getting hitched and the best man who has misgivings? Is this in fact a miniature of the nature of choice in an idividualistic society and forebearance required of individuals when other individuals are cutting off their noses to spite their faces or what? (Then again if they have two noses, it may not be a bad idea unless one is kowtowing to the social definition of beauty rather than appreciating what diversity must entail.)

This thread is deeper than it first appears, Spock. It's not logical, perhaps, but it is quintessentially human.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #17
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I thought this guy was your friend! If he's as bad as that then they belong together and you're doing the rest of humanity a favour by keeping them from marrying other people...
You haven't seen him. Then you'd understand.

However, he likes to spend all of his free time on the computer, she likes to veg out in front of Judge Judy type programmes with the volume turned up. (Including when there are guests.)

It's hard to imagine a combination where each would get that level of indulgence of an antisocial habit from a partner. It has occured to me that maybe they are perfectly matched even if for this reason alone.

Inked, thanks for your understanding and defence against the forces of big brother which would consign this thread to the bin.

The idea was generally for somewhere to post about the trivial, yet taxing condundra we all face. I am impressed at the quality of the advice given so far, I must say.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #18
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'd tell him to not get married... i've said it to friends before... "live together for a while and see if you can really stand each other" and all that

though it may be a bit late for that, with plans so close and all any change would be taken the wrong way

but it's not like marriage has to be forever these days
Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
This thread is deeper than it first appears, Spock. It's not logical, perhaps, but it is quintessentially human.
Yeah, it's deep alright, in what I'm not prepared to say.
goes looking for his mucker boots
Old 10-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #20
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

If it is, it came in on your feet.

Last edited by Spock : 10-11-2005 at 12:12 PM.