Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Parents' Thread

ok, so I did a search and foudn NOTHING on this....

This is a "support thread" I suppose for us parents. ask any questions (with respect of course) recieve answers etc....

I'll go first...was it hard for any of you to adjust to life as a parent fro your previously single lives?

I must say YES YES YES!!!! don't get me wrong...I LOVE my son to death but there are some days when I just wish I could vege out or sleep in (on weekends) or NOT get up at 3:00am to feed him.... will this all pass?
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien the Maia
I'll go first...was it hard for any of you to adjust to life as a parent fro your previously single lives?
OH MY GOODNESS, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I must say YES YES YES!!!! don't get me wrong...I LOVE my son to death but there are some days when I just wish I could vege out or sleep in (on weekends) or NOT get up at 3:00am to feed him.... will this all pass?
It will!
(then you'll get less physical problems (i.e., feedings, etc.) and more mental ones! )

But it's wonderful

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yes yes and thrice yes. And I'm a bloke. It's hard to admit, as you kind of expect everything to "come naturally" and be wonderful, and it's not. Stick with it and it will become MUCH easier (baby care is the hardest job in the world IMO).

Are you bottle or breast feeding? The latter is more draining and you can't share the burden with someone else.

It's important to try to have a bit of time for yourself/ves. Drop the bairn with rellies or friends and go out for a pint and a chat with your partner. Or just go for a walk, leaving partner with baby for a bit.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Are you bottle or breast feeding? The latter is more draining ...
Personally, you mean? (did you choose that word on purpose?)

Gaffer's advice about getting out with hubby is really, REALLY important, IMHO. One of the best gifts you can give your kids is a strong marriage, and marriage takes work and time (but it's well worth it!) And YOU need to be energized, yourself, in order to put energy into the marriage, so get some time for yourself, too

And be sure to not run in at the first sound of a cry at night - they need to learn to get to sleep and work out little things themselves. Of course, if it's crying of an unusual type (high-pitched, for example) or for more than usual, you need to check it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-12-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Are you bottle or breast feeding? The latter is more draining and you can't share the burden with someone else.

It's important to try to have a bit of time for yourself/ves. Drop the bairn with rellies or friends and go out for a pint and a chat with your partner. Or just go for a walk, leaving partner with baby for a bit.
I am nursing, although I have to pump while I'm at work I do supplement some when I can't pump enough though and I have a bunch frozen so when hubby and I go out, someone else can feed him. But yes, I agree baby care is exhausting! although he will be 6 mths this Sat...he's growing up so fast!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote