Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Moria naming error?

I was reading thru some Tolkien websites and came across an intriguing question pointing out a possible slip on JRRT's part (it's so tempting to try and find them!) -

If the Elves of Hollin were friendly with Durin's folk in Khazad-dum, and the name Moria (black chasm/pit) wasn't given until many years later, why does it say "The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria" on the doors?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I was reading thru some Tolkien websites and came across an intriguing question pointing out a possible slip on JRRT's part (it's so tempting to try and find them!) -

If the Elves of Hollin were friendly with Durin's folk in Khazad-dum, and the name Moria (black chasm/pit) wasn't given until many years later, why does it say "The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria" on the doors?
The Elves of Holin were (among other things) practical jokers. Moria was an inside joke which was misunderstood by the Dwarfs and lead to a series of misunderstandings between elfs and dwarfs.

(I really do not have a better reason than that.)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

Sounds good enough for me.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Probably just a bit of liberality with the translation... those gathered knew the place as 'Moria', so Gandalf translated it as Moria??

(or do the letters on the picture spell out 'Moria' in Elvish... probably do, don't they?)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

that's what I thought at first, but then remembered the letters on the picture spell Moria in Elvish! (I had translated JRRT's picture myself before and remembered)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-27-2005, 01:26 AM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Does it say anywhere that the name Moria was given many years later than the death of Celebrimbor?

The Elves of Hollin were friends with the Dwarves, but that didn't stop them of making their own names of the mountains, and presumably not of Khazad-Dum either. Though the name was given without love, I don't think it was given with malice. To the Elves, the Dwarrowdelf was a Black Chasm.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i don't have the books on hand... but i thought that in the appendix (durin's folk or tale of years) it mentioned the name "moria" first being used after the balrog chased the dwarves out
Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Khazad-dum was called the Dwarrowdelf in Westron and Hadhodrond in Sindarin, although the more usual Elvish name, especially after the freeing of the Balrog, was Moria. From the latter name came the Westron Black Pit, Black Chasm, and Mines of Moria......Tolkein's world from A-Z
Old 07-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i don't have the books on hand... but i thought that in the appendix (durin's folk or tale of years) it mentioned the name "moria" first being used after the balrog chased the dwarves out
That's what I thought too, but I've searched and found nothing but this, where it doesn't say when the Elves started using the name:
Quote:
It is to mark this that I have ventured to use the form dwarves, and so remove them a little, perhaps, from the sillier tales of these latter days. Dwarrows would have been better; but I have used that form only in the name Dwarrowdelf, to represent the name of Moria in the Common Speech: Phurunargian. For that meant 'Dwarf-delving' and yet was already word of antique form. But Moria is an Elvish name, and given without love; for the Eldar, though they might at need, in their bitter wars with the Dark Power and his servants, contrive fortresses underground, were not dwellers in such places of choice. They were lovers of the green earth and the lights of heaven; and Moria in their tongue means the Black Chasm. But the Dwarves themselves, and this name at least was never kept secret, called it Khazad-dûm, the Mansion of the Khazad; for such is their own name for their own race, and has been so, since Aulë gave it to them at their making in the deeps of time.
Spock, is your source Robert Foster's book? Does he give any references?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
Rían

From HoME 11, WOTJ ...

(oh, all RIGHT - History of Middle Earth Vol. 11 - The War of the Jewels) ...

Quote:
Greatest of all the mansions of the Naugrim was Khazaddum, that was after called in the days of its darkness Moria ...
(that was by JRRT, not CT)

So it seems like it wasn't called Moria until after the Roggie got loose ...

The corresponding passage in the Sil seems to be chpt 10, "Of the Sindar" -
Quote:
Greatest of all the mansions of the Dwarves was Khazaddum, the Dwarrowdelf, Hadhodrond in the Elvish tongue, that was afterwards in the days of its darkness called Moria...
and again in the Sil, in "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" -
Quote:
Eregion was nigh tothe great mansions of the Dwarves that were named Khazad-dum, but by the Elves Hadhodrond, and afterwards Moria.

Last edited by Rían : 07-27-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
Artanis

Thanks for the reference R*an!
The mystery remains yet unsolved then.

Last edited by Artanis : 07-27-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
Rían

You're welcome - book indexes are sure nice!!! As long as I have a faint memory of reading something somewhere, I can usually find it with the help of the indexes

It sure seems like there might have been a mistake, don't you think? Esp. since it gives the previous Elven name (Hadhodrond). Seems odd, though - it's hard to believe that with how careful Tolkien was, that this was a mistake. But I've missed it all these years, too!

In the Sil appendix, it says that "hadhod" was a rendering of Khazad into Sindarin sounds, and "rond" is a vaulted or arched roof, or a large hall with a roof like that (cf. Aglarond).

Khazad - the name of the Dwarves in their own language.

Last edited by Rían : 07-27-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #13
Artanis

Perhaps Tolkien changed his mind on when the name was used, as he changed his mind in many other things regarding Middle Earth. But I think it is unlikely, he said many times that he felt himself bound by the published material in LotR. So it's probably a slip. Even the professor is human.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Spock, is your source Robert Foster's book? Does he give any references?
Yes it is but he only references the books in the trilogy.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #15
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Perhaps Tolkien changed his mind on when the name was used, as he changed his mind in many other things regarding Middle Earth. But I think it is unlikely, he said many times that he felt himself bound by the published material in LotR. So it's probably a slip. Even the professor is human.
Part of why I like him

Old 07-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....what about us half humans?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:47 AM   #17
trolls' bane

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
You're welcome - book indexes are sure nice!!! As long as I have a faint memory of reading something somewhere, I can usually find it with the help of the indexes
Oh, and I was thinking you all had some program I didn't know about, like those bible programs where you can look up scriptures by typing in a keyword.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:57 AM   #18
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
....what about us half humans?
I like you, too!

(hey, I"m half-elven! )

That would sure be nice, trolls' bane - I hear rumors of LOTR being in a word document *innocent look* but I don't think HoME books are, or the Sil.

Old 07-28-2005, 02:24 AM   #19
trolls' bane

Gollum

I'd buy it right away! Then I don't have to buy individual books. Just print em out!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #20
Beregond
Hobbit

how did you get it into a word document? or did you spend along time writing it out?
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote