Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Could he be overthrown?

If Galadriel or Elrond claimed the One could they have overthrown Sauron. Sauron was a Maia spirit as was Gamdalf and Saruman which is why I didn't include them, but would the power of an elf bearing the One, be enough to overthrow a powerful Maia?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

well T.D. I think that depends on how strong you think that Elrond and Galadriel are. As I think most of us agree they were the strongest of the elves at the time. If the ring had manifested enough power in them then yes they could have overthrown Sauron. But another thing is that we have no idea how the ring would work for an elf. It usually gives you the power you most want. Hobbits are very sly and clever and therefore invisibility would be a most excellent gift for them. However Elves as Elrond and Galadriel most want to preserve their lands so maybe it would do the same as the three did but to a much greater level.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Telcontar_Dunedain

I doubt it. That was the power of th three, but the power of the One was destruction. There is another discussion going on about this in the 'Why did the Ring betray Isildur thread' if you want to check it out.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

We know so little about the functioning of the rings...
On one hand ,Sauron himself with the One could not take over the ME in the SA.
On the other hand, Sauron was really worried, when he thought that Aragorn has got his ring and was planning to use it (after the Palantir session). I think Sauron's problem at the end of the TA was that he relied mostly on the 9 nazgul and 3 of the 7 Dwarven Rings that he has gathered to himself. If ANYONE wielded the One, Sauron would be very much under control himself, so he would be obliged to destrow his ring collection or bury it real deep. And then he will have problems controlling the nazgul and probably even orcs?...Though the orcs, IMHO, could be controlled without any additional power devices.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
If Galadriel or Elrond claimed the One could they have overthrown Sauron. Sauron was a Maia spirit as was Gamdalf and Saruman which is why I didn't include them, but would the power of an elf bearing the One, be enough to overthrow a powerful Maia?
Nah espesaly if it's the Maias ring
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Haradrim

But where does it say the ring was a destructive ring. IT was used that way by Sauron. But under Bilbo and Frodo it was used for going invisible. Not a very destructive force I might say. But then again Bilbo and Frodo never really tried to do anything else with it. Wouldnt it be embarassing for Frodo if he coudl have used the power to teleport himself ontop of Mt. Doom from Rivendell. THen because he used it only once just drop it in. THat would be quite ironic. Mind you I havent read HoME. So maybe its explained somwehere in there.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
We know so little about the functioning of the rings...
On one hand ,Sauron himself with the One could not take over the ME in the SA.
On the other hand, Sauron was really worried, when he thought that Aragorn has got his ring and was planning to use it (after the Palantir session). I think Sauron's problem at the end of the TA was that he relied mostly on the 9 nazgul and 3 of the 7 Dwarven Rings that he has gathered to himself. If ANYONE wielded the One, Sauron would be very much under control himself, so he would be obliged to destrow his ring collection or bury it real deep. And then he will have problems controlling the nazgul and probably even orcs?...Though the orcs, IMHO, could be controlled without any additional power devices.
Sauron would not have been under control himself. He was not wearing Ring and the Rng had been severed from him. That's why he wanted the One back.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Haradrim

well if were now sayign that Sauron was not responsible for his actions after the ring was put on his finger then how do w know that he in fact did anything wrong. The ring was merely controlling him and he shouldnt be held accoutnable for it. Even his making of the ring shouldnt be considered evil merely intellectual theft of the elves. Im not saying I believe this though I wonder how many people I could tick off by doing so.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Sauron would not have been under control himself. He was not wearing Ring and the Rng had been severed from him. That's why he wanted the One back.
At the time of LOTR Sauron was wearing 9 nazgul rings. With them he controlled the nazgul. He also had three of the 7. It is canon!
So, if anybody started wielding the One, Sauron will be controlled by this person -the new Ringlord - as an owner of 12 rings.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i believe it is said somewhere that the rings of power granted mortals invisibility, haradrim, not just bilbo and frodo

elrond would have been able to overthrow sauron, he had the strains of elda, atani and maiar in him, galadriel was incredibly powerful, she coulfd have overthrown sauron, but would have become an immensely powerful, and ultimately evil, character, cirdan is the only one i would have trusted the one ring to, but even he would have turned to darkness
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #11
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

i think that Tolkien strongly hints that even Boromir, a mighty warrior and leader of men could with the power of the ring overcome and defeat Sauron: this more by raising armies and his power of battle and leadership than any internal "Power" eg as captain he holds off the attacks on Gondor but cannot hold the men in the face of the terror of the Nazgul: with his will to win and fight and defend his people and the one ring of power; the ring to rule them all on his hand i have no doubt he could then resist the NINE - whether the users of the ring would thus be ensnared to him i know not but my feeling is that either sauron ditches the rings he has or allows the ring-lord to control him through his control of those rings (at whatever point the new ring lord learns how to do so - as it is not a given that it would automatically happen overnight if at all?): it's stated that sauron was affraid of what mighty one may suddenly appear bringing war with the ring etc: certainly he feared Isludir's heir, also therefore elrond, galadriel, Gandalf etc all could have defeated him, but is not the point that ultimately the ring (or Sauron if you like as the greater part of his strength or spirit was in the ring) would have won (kind of) in that the ring would have corrupted the bearer as Gandalf, Elrond and Galdriel all testify to? That it was too powerful and too tempting but ultimately evil. Gandalf: i would use it with a will to do good, but htrough me ... galdriel: instead of a .. queen of the night all love me and despair etc: does this not tell us that the ring is different to the three or the nine or the 7 etc: it was made as cereimbor noticed to domineer and forcibly take the other rings, it was a ring that desired power and domination: and if wielded by a will of adamant could be lethal and all powerful.
My understanding though was that it would take time to control and learn to use the ring to the full - so would they have had time if it hadn't been destroyed?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:12 AM   #12
Haradrim

Hey wait I have a question if Sauron didnt have the onering how did he control the nine. Cuza they were corrupted byt the ring and answered to it. Shouldnt they have served whoever had it.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:10 AM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Hey wait I have a question if Sauron didnt have the onering how did he control the nine. Cuza they were corrupted byt the ring and answered to it. Shouldnt they have served whoever had it.
The nine didn't serve whoever had the One. Sauron seduced them with the Nine, not the One, the bearer of the One, whether it was Isildur, Deagol or Smealgol had no interest in having ultimate control of ME.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:43 AM   #14
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
The nine didn't serve whoever had the One. Sauron seduced them with the Nine, not the One, the bearer of the One, whether it was Isildur, Deagol or Smealgol had no interest in having ultimate control of ME.
Ah, but what if he did?
Or would the ring only truly control in full the other rings if they were all joined (one ring to bind them) i.e. if Sauron - or whoever - got the three as well?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:21 AM   #15
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
...if wielded by a will of adamant could be lethal and all powerful.
My understanding though was that it would take time to control and learn to use the ring to the full - so would they have had time if it hadn't been destroyed?
I agree entirely with you, Butterbeer. To overthrow Sauron the new Ringlord required both the will of adamant and some knowledge how to use the ring. Because of the latter Boromir and Aragorn would have had more problems IMHO, than any of the bearers of the Three or Saruman, who studied the subject for many years. But eventually even a Men would learn. Sauron understood it, that is why, when he saw Aragorn in the palantir and thought that he had the Ring, he has not destroyed his 12 rings or buried them deep immediately, but decided instead to start the war EARLIER than planned (before the Man learned how to use the full power of the One).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Quote:
The nine didn't serve whoever had the One. Sauron seduced them with the Nine, not the One, the bearer of the One, whether it was Isildur, Deagol or Smealgol had no interest in having ultimate control of ME. .
Those are very interesting points. Yes, Sauron seduced the Kings with the Nine, not the One. But the One controlled the Nine.
The Nine with their rings on would have served ANY RINGLORD, powerful enough to wield the One to its full power. Sauron lost the One, but the cunning Maia took the 9 from the nazgul, so, at the time of LOTR, he wore the 9 rings himself (a ring per finger ) and thus controlled the nazgul. But, being evil wraiths, the nazgul must still be influenced by the One as well. The One probably had power over all evil beings (see Sam intimidating orcs at the tower of Cirith Ungol).
So if the new ringlord appeared, the nazgul would be torn by conflicting wills (Sauron's through the 9 and new ringlord's through the One). Moreover, Sauron would not be able to continue wearing the nine rings, because that would put HIMSELF under control of the new ringlord with the One. He will then have two options: 1. hide the 9, then the nazgul would be free to desert to the new Ringlord. 2. destroy the 9: then IMHO the nazgul will be destroyed as well, but poor Sauron will be left with only 3 dwarven rings that he could not wield either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Or would the ring only truly control in full the other rings if they were all joined (one ring to bind them) i.e. if Sauron - or whoever - got the three as well?
I think Saurons idea was to give all the rings to promising holders and to control them and their realms through the One. All was more or less well while he had the One himself, but in the TA, when he "awoke" weak and ringless in Mirkwood (about TA 1100) and could not find his ring, he had no other option but to start collecting the 7 and the 9 to himself.

Last edited by Gordis : 03-30-2005 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:41 AM   #16
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Those are very interesting points. Yes, Sauron seduced the Kings with the Nine, not the One. But the One controlled the Nine.
The Nine with their rings on would have served ANY RINGLORD, powerful enough to wield the One to its full power
That's what I adressed in the second part of my post. After Sauron, the Ringbearers didn't want ultimate control of ME at the time of bearing the One so the Ulari wouldn't have served them, but someone who did desire ultimate control and power.

Also, I'm curious, where does it say that Sauron wear the Nine? I presumed the Nazgûl did.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #17
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

IIRC, sauron does indeed not only control, but physically wear the nine, but seeing as he has only nine fingers (what with Isildur's "help"), if he got the One, which Nazgul ring would he remove? The witch king i would presume, seeing as how, in UT, it is stated that he was the one of the nine most bent to his master's will.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #18
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I doubt that Sauron would physically wear the Nine. I rather think the Nazgul would still need them in some way. Although it might be simply because a Dark Lord with 9 rings would looks so.... silly.

I also doubt that any Men or Elf would be able to unlock the whole potential of the Ring like Sauron could. Sauron poured much of his strength into that Ring, so it would stand to reason that he alone could wield it. The Ring desired greatly to return to Sauron, not to be worn by any other great lord or lady.

Nevertheless, an opponent, who could put at least a portion of the power of the One to use to rally armies and gather strength, could still be a great enemy to Mordor and might eventually come out victorious, but only by means of arms and Sauron would not be destroyed as he was when the One was destroyed.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM   #19
Haradrim

Wel IMO I dont think Sauron wore the 9. Cuz if he did how would the Nine have had their powers. Also IMO they were corrupted because the one ahd the power to control all the other rings. Unfortunately the elves took theirs offf and the dwarves didnt really do much except get really greedy. So he controlled the nine because he held the one and they responded to the one. When Isildur went and chopped off hsi finger the Nazgul should have stopped listening to Sauron. Or mayeb not immediately but gradually. (old dogs. New tricks and such) So why would they have followed him in LOTR.

Another question. Does it ever actually say that they served Sauron in LOTR. I mead Gandalf says they heard their masters call but couldnt that also mean the ring. As the ring was really the master.

Of course this is all IMO.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:43 PM   #20
Morgoth the Elfbit
Hobbit

Location: I split my time between Mordor and your Imagination
I totally agree Haradrim. Your ideas are well founded and you are obivously a very intelligent young adult. I wish I could be you and everything you are. THough seriosuly to add on to what I said earliar I think maybe Sauronhad them under his influence for so long that they just no longer require the ring to be in his possesion. OR it could be as I think Olmer said somewhere. THe ring transfers powers back to Sauron which is why he coudl see you when you wore it. SO therefore he could still control the nine.

Here is my permanent apology for off-topicing. If I do it, which i will, I am sorry. I feel bad about it but being an elfbit messes with your head and things get wonky so spamming is almost inevitable. There will be good replys but for when I do off-topic I am deeply sorry.

Offical title: Morgoth the Elfbit: Un-Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

At Your Service.... BOW TO ME!

Miranda Otto is hot!

I Kinda Like Feanor.... (meep)
Morgoth the Elfbit is offline   Reply With Quote