Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Biological Terrorist Attack War Game

First off - so this doesn't get moved, SGH said this can go in General Messages. Second - she's the one that actually came up with the idea.

Third - What is this? Well last night and the night before Nightline had on a two part thing where they showed the inside of one of the US Government's war games. This involved about 20 countries from around the world, with various representatives from those countries representing the leaders. For instance - Madeline Albright was the US President, the Swedish Ambassador was the Swedish PM, etc.

The war game started out with a bological attack of Smallpox in Turkey, Germany and Poland. From there it quickjly spread throughout the EU and into the California, NY, NJ, Connecticut, Salt Lake City, and others. Various states started to close off their borders to others. For instance - Indiana and Pennsylvania were not allowing people to move across their state line.

Basically SGH said this might make a really interesting thread - with various people playing the different leaders of the world. What I need from people is an idea of who might be interested to join this, any ideas on how we should do this, and who would people want to be.

Now the premise with nightline was the the European leaders, as well as Canada - were in Washington for a meeting. So they were all in one location in the same room together.

I feel we should keep it with smallpox and it needs to stay believable. SGH is going to moderate the thread. I'm not sure if that means that she will also be throwing various scenarios in there - like fake news reports and phone calls to the various leaders (or if we want someone else to do that).

So who might be interested in this? BTW - I'm the US president.

Basically -
1) Need to see who is intertested
2) we need to create a scenario
3) we need to choose leaders of the countries and world organizations

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This could be fun. Mod team: although this may be somewhat like a RPG, I think it better suited to GMs since there is always so much political activity here.

We will need a journalist. This person will create situations in accordance with the game as it goes and make news reports on developements such as: estimation of spreading within a certian time frame and so on. In the actual war game on Nightline, there were outbreaks of violence and attacks on Mosques and so on. You will need to keep the developements realistic. You can't, for instance just wipe out an entire country with the disease.

Let's also stay on topic and flame free. This is supposed to be fun and somewhat of an educational experience.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Let's also stay on topic and flame free. This is supposed to be fun and somewhat of an educational experience.
So does that mean in the heat of the moment I can't scream at the French President and call him a cheese eating surrender monkey? Dam - sometimes you take all the fun out of it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

This sounds really cool! Can I be the Canadian Prime Minister?

If more than one person wants to be the leader of a given country, should we have a mini-election in this thread?

JD makes a good point about flames. Even though this would be very risky, what if we were allowed to have minor flames if they were in the context of the game? What if the USA and France had a very strong disagreement about travveling? The American President might realistically call the French president a cheese-eating surrender monkey. Of course, the French president might call him an espèce de bébé or something. As long as insults weren't directed to the actual poster. I admit this is dangerous ground though, given the nature of this forum and whatnot.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
This sounds really cool! Can I be the Canadian Prime Minister?
I had already figured you would be the Canadian PM.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I think having mini elections would be too long and complicated. You would be the best for the Canadian PM Nurv, since you are on everyday and an active poster.

I wonder what to do about countries like France since we have no French members. Should we just appoint or have someone volunteer to be such a leader?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Interesting RPG. I know some about smallpox, I did a big project last year on bioweapons and focused on smallpox and anthrax. Also, I watched a very good and realistic 'drama-documentary' on BBC about how the world would react to a worldwide smallpox epidemy (see this thread). I could help setting up a scenario.

If I hadn't been so busy I could have been the French president but I think it's better if an active poster plays his role. I can be the Swedish PM though.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I'd be interested in playing... have no idea who I'd be though (as an American, my nation's leader is already spoken for )

This sounds like a really intriguing idea.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
If I hadn't been so busy I could have been the French president but I think it's better if an active poster plays his role. I can be the Swedish PM though.
yeah - we need someone who can actually act french. You probably would have been good for the french president.

You can be the sweidsh PM or a smallpox expert who is brought in. Adn of course help with the overalll scenario - of cause and effect.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I had already figured you would be the Canadian PM.
Naturally!

Are you going for American president? I can also see you as the journalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I think having mini elections would be too long and complicated. You would be the best for the Canadian PM Nurv, since you are on everyday and an active poster.
Ah yes. An excellent point. I am very active, but I should be a little less active and do a little more studying. This is my favourite form of procrastination though, so I don't think my activity level will drop too much.

A few thoughts...

Could we have a Vice President (or equivelant) if more than one wants to be President (or equivelant)? Then if the President couldn't post for a while, they could have a good reason in the game (Prime Minister Nurvingiel embarked on a cross-country tour to help restore calm in major cities afflicted by smallpox. Riots in Vancouver, Toronto, Ottowa, and Halifax have now been quelled.)

What if countries who don't have Mooter representation are commented on in the third person by the journalist? (eg. In Russia today people gathered in Moscow to show support for their neighbours and raise money for smallpox vixtims. So far 1 340 000 roubles have been donated... )

Maybe we should make up proper real life sounding names for the purpose of the game. (I don't want to use my actual real name.) On a similar note, should we make a sort of profile for ourselves? How in depth is this game anyway?

I'm sure we can find something fun for everyone who wants to be in it.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Interesting RPG. I know some about smallpox, I did a big project last year on bioweapons and focused on smallpox and anthrax. Also, I watched a very good and realistic 'drama-documentary' on BBC about how the world would react to a worldwide smallpox epidemy (see this thread). I could help setting up a scenario.
Maybe you should be the journalist..?

Quote:
I forsee good relations between Canada and Sweden. (In real life we do have good relations anyway. )

That reminds me, should we try to mirror real life international politics as much as possible, or should we try to co-operate and get something done?
Quote:
Old 02-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #12
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Maybe you should be the journalist..?
That reminds me, should we try to mirror real life international politics as much as possible, or should we try to co-operate and get something done?
Yeah, I can be the journalist. That requires me to be active but I'll try to post as actively as I can. Being the journalist would be fun

I say we mirror real politics and sit back and watch how the world goes straight down the drain
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Yeah, I can be the journalist. That requires me to be active but I'll try to post as actively as I can. Being the journalist would be fun

I say we mirror real politics and sit back and watch how the world goes straight down the drain
it's supposed to mirror real politics and real geopolitical attitudes. So the political leaders have to really represent the interests of their countries - not the way they would necessarily do things.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
Janny
The Blobbit

Bagsy Chirac then! sun-star is my advisor-spokeswoman.

EDIT: Actually, I'm told she wants Blair, what with her being a pretty straight kinda guy.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.

Last edited by Janny : 02-18-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:36 PM   #15
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I scorn your pathetic suggestion. I am British, and wouldn't dream of giving advice to a Frenchy! I notice only you think you need an advisor to tell you what to do...

I'll be UK Prime Minister if nobody minds
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 02-18-2005 at 05:39 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well the Brits are going to be French. Who's going to be Tony Blair?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-18-2005, 05:44 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I had a volte face. Or, to avoid speaking French, I changed my mind
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
jerseydevil

So Janny, you're going to be Chirac? And to think - at one time I actually liked you.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-18-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #19
Janny
The Blobbit

What? A terrorst attack? I better ring Kofi. And then have some coffee in Strasbourg. Then Brussels. Then I'll call Schroeder.
What? Bush is doing stuff already? I better ring and complain.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
What? A terrorst attack? I better ring Kofi. And then have some coffee in Strasbourg. Then Brussels. Then I'll call Schroeder.
What? Bush is doing stuff already? I better ring and complain.
Too funny. I could add more things to your little scenario - but let's keep it on topic here.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide