Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-21-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Who has the control: Sauron or the Ring?

Oh, dear. How embarrassing. This is actually my brother Sirion's post:

Theoretically, if Sauron had reformed his ways before Lord of the Rings and became good, he probably would have gotten his ring back. The question is, if he did get the ring back, would it have corrupted him again, or would he have been able to truly use it for good?

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 01-31-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
Sirion
Sapling

That was my post... sorry. I was using the wrong account.
Sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Don't know that he necessarily would have gotten his Ring back.

If so though, corrupted... definitely!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Sorry, that was my brother "Sirion"'s post... we're on the same computer... and he accidentally was writing under my name... apparently I had not signed off...

So... the question stands.

Personally, I think he would have been corrupted... but I have to leave now...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Valandil

I thought your brother was 'Finrodde' or whatever... he startin' multiple accounts already!??

G-bye! Tchuss!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 12-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
Sirion
Sapling

She made me get a new one. Apparently Finnrodde was not sufficient...
Sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

hmm, interesting thought.
I think the Ring follows Sauron, though I am not sure. So if he turns good, and get it I think it will be nice. if Sauron had got it back, when he was good, I think the ring would have been turned over to the good side. but I am not sure for to seconds. if someone puts up a good idea...
Old 12-21-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm with pytt... i think of the ring as kind of an extension of himself... it would probably reflect his outlook in "personality"
Old 12-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
Valandil

I think it was independently evil... linked with him in some strange way, yes - but in essence, created as an evil thing... with the evil intent he had upon its making.

Remember too, that it is a Ring of POWER... and think of the corrupting nature of power...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-21-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Remember too, that it is a Ring of POWER... and think of the corrupting nature of power...
unless it is actually not that power corrupts, but that power attracts corrupted people

shamelessly paraphased from dune
Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
unless it is actually not that power corrupts, but that power attracts corrupted people

shamelessly paraphased from dune
This is not in reference to my becoming a moderator, is it??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think it would probably corrupt him again The Ring wasn't part of Sauron but the Ring had some of Sauron's power. This wouldn't change with Sauron as it was no longer part of him.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 PM   #13
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
This is not in reference to my becoming a moderator, is it??
not at all

you were nominated... which is quite a different thing than actively seeking it out

unless there are some backdoor dealings i am unaware of
Old 12-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #14
Beor
founder of the color blue

I'm with Val here, in both respects.

First, why would Sauron get his ring back? Would they just give it to him? I think that if he did become good, that he wouldnt want it back, preferring to remain in whatever state he is in rather than risk spiraling back down into corruption after recieveing the ring. I dont think that he would continue to seek it if he had truly turned good.

Now if the White Counsel found it, and he asked them for it, I dont think they would give it back, because they would distrust him. They would probably not even tell him they found it, and being good, Sauron wouldnt "turn his eye" on them, because that would be sort of bad, right? Remember that Sauron always came to men and elves calling himself Annatar or something similar, something referring to gifts, always putting on a fair form. He cant look fair anymore, but he could maybe act fair, and the White Counsel would think of it as just that, and act.

In the odd chance that he did get the ring back, I do believe that he would become evil again, because apparently no one but me could resist its powers, and there is so much evil inherent in the ring, being away from Sauron for so long and still corrupting everyone who had it, certainly it doesnt need Sauron to be evil.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:08 PM   #15
Pytt

what you says makes sense, Beor. If the White Counsel found it, they would ceartainly not have said anything. but if Sauron found the ring himself, I think he would have been able to use it, without getting evil.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:07 PM   #16
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
what you says makes sense, Beor. If the White Counsel found it, they would ceartainly not have said anything. but if Sauron found the ring himself, I think he would have been able to use it, without getting evil.
I agree with Beor and Val... I think that the Ring would still corrupt him - or if he's strong enough, still be evil. In my opinion, the Ring was made of the power of Sauron when he was evil, and therefore the power is evil and the Ring is... I don't think the Ring can change with Sauron. It is still an object... made of evil for evil reasons, from evil thoughts... for the will to gain control of the Elves.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:10 PM   #17
Valandil

I mean... if YOU guys are right, and he stayed good WITH the Ring... what does he use it for? Just 'checking in on' the Three? Does the ring of Durin's house suddenly begin to simply find treasure WITHOUT fueling greed? Do the Nine suddenly start to 'change' for the better... maybe become the 'White Riders'?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The Ring was created by evil with only an evil purpose. I think it unlikely that had Sauron ever turned good that he could possess the Ring without being evily influenced and returning to his former self. Look at Gollum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
Pytt

ok, looks like I am on weakning ground here... I think you guys have converted me.. but I am still thinking of the idea that the Ring was an extension of Sauron, and therefore changed with him. But I think that is an idea with no backup, just wandering thoughts...
Old 12-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
ok, looks like I am on weakning ground here... I think you guys have converted me.. but I am still thinking of the idea that the Ring was an extension of Sauron, and therefore changed with him. But I think that is an idea with no backup, just wandering thoughts...
Well, I think that would be like saying something good could come from something evil, but in this case, the Ring was ultimately evil and there was nothing good to come from it. So, in a way, if Sauron had become good and then got the Ring back, he would be just as susceptible as any other being at being corrupted by it. Maybe even moreso, since he created it and it was his evil power that inhabited it. Yes, the Ring was an extension of Sauron, which makes it unlikely that he could ever be 100% good.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote