Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Covers and Remixes

Many great bands have started out doing covers of other bands in a similar genre. Some artists well established artists cover a well-known song for various reasons.

What do you think about covers in general? Which are your favourites, and least favourites?

Metallica has done a lot of really great covers, like "Whiskey in the Jar" (which isn't technically a cover), Tuesday's Gone, and others.

But what prompted me to start this thread, was Madonna's cover of "American Pie" by Don McLean. This is the worst cover in the history of time!! It is horrendously bad, made worse by the fact that Madonna is a great artist. (Even if you don't like her music, you can't deny she's made a name for herself.) Made even more worse, is that "American Pie" is a truly great song, and it is just pain wrong to hear it mangled beyong all beleif, with techno of all things.

Hip Hop is a morass of remixes. I don't know what's going on over there. "Hi, I'm a hip hop artist, with one marginally successful song which I will now do eight different remixes featuring different artists, and it will be played in clubs ad nauseum!" Gah.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #2
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd has been covered by two different bands. Pearl Jam and Radiohead. I've only heard the original, but I imagine the Radiohead one is pretty good, since Thom Yorke kicks ass. Don't know about the Pearl Jam version. Thats really the only cover I can remember.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I've only heard the Pink Floyd one as well. I agree that Radiohead is brilliant though.

One great cover I've heard is "Landslide" by the Smashing Pumpkins. I actually heard it before the Fleetwood Mac original, and it was so good that I thought that the Smashing Pumpkins had done the original, and Fleetwood Mac was the cover! I love the Fleetwood Mac version too though.

The reason I think the Pumpkins' cover is so good is because they do their own twist on it without mangling the song. I like covers that aren't just trying to sound like the original artist, but still preserve the integrity of the song.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-22-2004, 04:12 AM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Reel Big Fish's ska cover of A-ha's "Take on Me" is one of my personal favorites. I also like Goldfinger's cover of "99 Red Balloons" (99 luftballons). But I must say that Johnny Cash's cover of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt" is head and shoulders above the original. Cash makes you believe that he's been through it all.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:24 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ooooh yes! Abso-friggin'-lutely, Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is just frickin' awesome!! The music vid that goes with it is amazingly directed as well. As far as terrible covers goes, yes Mad's version of American Pie suxors 1111111, but also any cover by Atomic Kitten (Eternal Flame, and Tide is High spring to mind). Their blondie covers are just wrong. ::shudder:: Debbie Harry has an amazingly husky deep voice, and for some silly girl band to come along and try and cover it... ugh.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:49 AM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I absolutely love Goldfinger's cover! I heard that one before Nena's original (which is brilliance). It's actually what put me on to Goldfinger, and I've even seen them in concert now!

I actually like Atomic Kitten's cover of "The Tide is High" but the original's better.

"99 Red Balloons" or "99 Luftbalons" has been covered many many times, check this out: covers.

Is it true AFI and NOFX have covered this song too? I love them!!
Quote:
Old 11-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I dont mind covers when they are an obvious tribute and when they dont try to simply mimick it but do it their own way and make it work. But so many bands nowadays seem to cover songs because their label told them to do this song and they have no clue about the song themself. Lame Bizcut's version Behind Blue Eyes comes to mind...

But Ill give props to a good cover. Especially one that catches me by surprise. Anyone heard NOFX's version of Hotel California? Yeah, i know what yer thinkin already. BLASPHAMEY!!! well give it a chance. i thought the same thing when I first heard they redid it. But holy crap! its full tilt hard core horns a blazing ska fast forward crazyness and its done so well without cheapening the song. I mean everyone in the world is familiar with the Eagles version so its not like they are trying to steal it. It knocks me for a loop whenever I hear it. And Im not a huge NOFX fan otherwise. But man did they score with that one.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I-rex, I was just coming to this thread to bitch about Limp's version of Behind Blue Eyes. AAaargh, hate it, hate it, hate it.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #9
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
But what prompted me to start this thread, was Madonna's cover of "American Pie" by Don McLean. This is the worst cover in the history of time!!
i think we'll let Maroon 5 take that, i know they got above themselves when they thought to cover Nine Inch Nails, Closer but that doesnt mean that all covers of NIN are bad, i agree with BoP in saying that JC's Hurt is ****ing awesome, not as good as NIN's but still very good.
As for my favourite covers well they are all MM, his more famousy ones are good (Personal Jesus, Tainted Love, Sweet Dreams) but his best are Working Class Hero (which is only on the disposable teens single) and Rock n Roll Nigger (on Smells like Children)....
As for best remix, well i love Goldfrapps remix of This is the new **** on that single. especially when Manson singles usually just have the song and some crappy techno remix it was good to see a couple of songs on the single i could enjoy.

Last edited by Millane : 12-22-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:27 PM   #10
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Avril Lavigne should not be allowed to cover songs anymore she completely butchers them , 'nuff said.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #11
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Avril Lavigne should not be allowed to cover songs anymore she completely butchers them , 'nuff said.
i dont really know that much of Avril, but i thought most of her songs were her own. What songs has she covered?
Old 12-24-2004, 02:20 AM   #12
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I heard her cover Chop Suey by System of a Down, but it was live and I don't think she was completely serious. It sucked, but it was pretty funny.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:34 AM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Is it true AFI and NOFX have covered this song too? I love them!!
I have AFI's cover of 99 Red Balloons on a mix CD an old co-worker made for me a long time ago. It cuts off, though.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #14
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

lots of great ones...

jimi hendrix's cover of dylan's 'all along the watchtower'

johnny cash's 'rusted cage' (soundgarden)

clapton's 'i shot the sheriff' (bob marley)

santana's 'black magic woman' (fleetwood mac) and 'she's not there' (zombies)

tool's version of zep's 'no quarter'

primus 'have a cigar' (pink floyd)

ccr's 'heard it through the grapevine' (gladys knight)

the clash 'i fought the law' (the crickets)

to name a few

talk about bad one's... anyone ever heard dolly parton's version of 'stairway to heaven'?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
I have AFI's cover of 99 Red Balloons on a mix CD an old co-worker made for me a long time ago. It cuts off, though.
I'm going to look for AFIs actual CD with that track. I absolutely love them!

Ooh, yes, good ones Brownie. I love Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower". I haven't actually heard the original, but I'm sure Jimi does it justice.

I think Bob Dylan has been covered a lot, but I can't think of any others.

EDIT: Avril covering SoD!?!? She had better be joking... she can barely sing her own songs! Okay... she's not that bad, it's not her fault the radio plays her far too much.
Quote:
Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Britney Spears has covered Bobby Brown's "My Perogative". Run! Run like the wind!
Quote:
Old 01-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #17
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Depeche Mode's recently released Remixes are mostly, IMO, crap.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:06 AM   #18
Millane
The Dude

hmm ive been wathcing the Placebo dvd again and their "Where is my mind" is pretty ****ing awesome.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #19
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I can't forget "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm, which is superior to the Michael Jackson original, in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:26 AM   #20
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
I can't forget "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm, which is superior to the Michael Jackson original, in my opinion.
still a **** song though