Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Arafat in critical condition

Arafat is now in the hospital in critical condition. By the sounds of it he may not live much longer. He is now unable to walk.

Quote:
Close aide: Arafat in critical condition

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat was in critical condition late Wednesday after his health deteriorated through the course of the day, Palestinian officials said.

Doctors were treating him at his Ramallah compound and assessing whether he should be sent to a hospital.

"He is in critical condition, but he's conscious," said Hassan Abu-Libdeh, Cabinet secretary to the Palestinian Authority. "During the last six hours, he has relapsed."

He said a team of Egyptian and Tunisian doctors was examining Arafat and that Jordanian doctors were en route to further aid in Arafat's treatment.

A senior Palestinian official inside the compound said Arafat's condition was "extremely bad."

Palestinian officials said Arafat, 75, was too weak to meet with anybody and that he was unable to walk, having to be carried by aides when he needed to move. They also said he has been unable to keep food down.

Israel Radio reported late Wednesday that Arafat had lost consciousness.

Earlier in the day, Arafat said he wanted to name former Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas as his deputy, according to the central committee of Fatah, the mainstream faction and Palestinian nationalist movement of the Palestine Liberation Organization.

Abbas and Prime Minister Ahmed Qorei then went to the Ramallah compound, but were turned away after being told that Arafat was too sick, said Abbas Zaki, a member of Fatah's central committee. The two later left the compound.

Palestinian aide Yasser Abed Rabbo, who was in the compound, said the team of Egyptian and Tunisian doctors was trying to determine whether Arafat should go to a hospital.

Ambulances were outside the compound, and Israel has said he can travel to a hospital for treatment.

Speaking from Geneva, Palestinian Authority Foreign Minister Nabil Sha'ath said he has been in constant touch with Arafat and that he was "quite weak."

"He cannot retain food in his stomach. He is being fed intravenously and therefore he is weak," Sha'ath said.

He said it was likely Arafat will go to a hospital for treatment.

"Nobody can yet tell any physical reason as to why this condition has lasted and has continued to cause him this weakness," he said.

Arafat has been sick for the past two weeks. During that time, Palestinian officials have cited various ailments, first the flu or stomach virus, then gall stones.

Israel has confined Arafat to his compound in Ramallah since late 2001, accusing him of provoking suicide bombings and other violent acts in the Palestinian uprising that began in September 2000, charges he denies.

An Israeli Defense Ministry official said Monday that Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz agreed to a Palestinian request to let Arafat go to a hospital in Ramallah after being examined in his compound by doctors.

Israel has previously said Arafat is free to leave Ramallah but cannot guarantee it will allow him to return.

Arafat has long been reported to have Parkinson's disease. According to aides, he suffers from neurological injuries caused by a near-fatal plane crash in Libya in 1992.

Arafat canceled several meetings last week and missed prayers at the start of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month. Palestinian sources said he had a high fever and nausea but recovered and needed to rest, Reuters reported.
What would happen if Arafat died? Would it give a chance for the moderate palestinians to take control and not be saddled by him? Would it have no affect? or would it cause more violence against Israel?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

About time the feckin' bugger died. Maybe now we can get an actual chance for peace between Palestine and israel. I'm hoping for the moderates to step in, personally. 'Course it would have to be matched by Israel for there to be any hope. As long as Sharon is saddled with his extremists (and Sharon's not exactly middle-of-the-road either), there will still be problems. maybe the death of arafat will alleviate this though.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
inked
Elf Lord

BoP,

Do I detect a loss of the "all is sweetness and light" component of your persona? Or are you that desperate for the ol' bugger to lose his pants permanently?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

"sweetness and light"? *snicker*
Old 10-27-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh my God... I read "Aratfalthion" and thought "Arat-Falthion" and nearly had a heart attack. Sheeeeze I feel stupid now. I actually just about jumped out of my chair...

Anyways... I think that his death, as BoP said, will probably fix a few problems, but as with any new leader, a whole host of new problems will appear.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #6
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

I think his death will create more problems than it will solve. Things will get shaken up, and, when things get shaken up in the Middle East, it ain't pretty. There will probably be a power struggle, and the new leader probably won't be any better than Arafat. Plus the new leader will be anxious to do somthing and solidify his office. New blood isn't always the best thing.

I think so Brain, but without ears, we look like weasels.

"The next time I lent an ax to a surgeon, I would pick my century." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The Last Alliance of Orcs and Spiders
Shelob's Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
About time the feckin' bugger died. Maybe now we can get an actual chance for peace between Palestine and israel. I'm hoping for the moderates to step in, personally. 'Course it would have to be matched by Israel for there to be any hope. As long as Sharon is saddled with his extremists (and Sharon's not exactly middle-of-the-road either), there will still be problems. maybe the death of arafat will alleviate this though.
Well, actually Sharon and his party aren't considered extermists - and their coalition has almost no exremists either, only 4 of about 60. His plan, to get all Jews out of Gaza strip, proves that. (The plan is differey of his party's ideology).

I'm not sure if it does any good. And can't really see how Arafat did any harm when he was closed in his building (you called it 'compound'? I think its name is the mukata). As Shelob's Hubby said... I think it'd only make mess there, especially when Arafat gave the leadership of the Autonomy to 3 men. I think the new leader will be much weaker than Arafat... we'll see if that's good or bad.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
Well, actually Sharon and his party aren't considered extermists - and their coalition has almost no exremists either, only 4 of about 60. His plan, to get all Jews out of Gaza strip, proves that. (The plan is differey of his party's ideology).
She seems to ignore the fact that Sharon has just issued and won the approval for a ground breaking occurence - the withdrawal from Gaza Strip and the dismantling of the settlements. She wants to concentrate on the past - where Sharon supported the settlements.

Although - I would consider a person who condones suicide bombings to be FAR MORE extremist.
Quote:
I'm not sure if it does any good. And can't really see how Arafat did any harm when he was closed in his building (you called it 'compound'? I think its name is the mukata). As Shelob's Hubby said... I think it'd only make mess there, especially when Arafat gave the leadership of the Autonomy to 3 men. I think the new leader will be much weaker than Arafat... we'll see if that's good or bad.
I think that would depend if the moderate palestinians are organized enough to gain power or not. According to their Constitution or whatever - it seems as if the speaker of the house becomes leader after Arafat dies, but he isn't well known. Arafat's death I think has the potential for both - but hopefully the moderates are strong enough to overcome the extremists.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-28-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Actually, JD, I'd prefer if you didn't read more into what I stated thank you. I acknowledge that Sharon is trying to work towards evacuating the settlements, which is why I stated my statement the way I did (that Sharon was "saddled", in other words, having difficulty due to the extremists putting their respective foots down).
Old 10-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
Actually, JD, I'd prefer if you didn't read more into what I stated thank you. I acknowledge that Sharon is trying to work towards evacuating the settlements, which is why I stated my statement the way I did (that Sharon was "saddled", in other words, having difficulty due to the extremists putting their respective foots down).
Well maybe you shouldn't say things like this then too - "(and Sharon's not exactly middle-of-the-road either)" You didn't acknowledge the steps he HAS taken - which are in no way extremist. He is supporting something that NO ONE thought would ever happen - without even any guarantees from the Palestinians on anything. By the way - I'm not just going by this thread - but the many things you said about Sharon and Israel two years ago. Remember the discussions and arguments between you, Tristan and I? I do.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-31-2004, 03:51 AM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

My opinion is the same as Radagast's. Arafat has the respect of many of his people, if not the obedience of most of them. Many groups of Palestinians are just completely out of anyone's control. If Arafat died, though, any new moderate government would probably be far weaker then his more right-wing government was. Arafat is the only one I see as having any control in this situation, from the Palestinian side. The Palestinians trust him, and that's important. Many of them will not so easily trust the moderates, as was clearly visible with their reaction to the other Palestinian Prime Minister. I don't remember his name; he's the one that had U.S. backing but ended up stepping down.

I think violence in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict would probably escalate, with Yassir Arafat's death.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:15 PM   #12
jerseydevil

I meant to post this earlier - but I forgot. I just wanted to make this comment...

Let's see - Sharon has just gotten passed the withdrawal of settlements and israel from Gaza. He then allows Arafat the capability to LEAVE his compound to go to France for treatment with the a guarantee that he will be able to return. Today in israel there was a suicide bombing in a busy market square which killed a 60 year old man and two woman and injured roughly thirty people - 5 critically. So can anyone tell me what the justification for THIS attack was????

[edit - the latest news says that 4 died now]

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-02-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I heard it was a message from Hamas to those who would replace Arafat that they will not simply pacifiy because there is new leadership in place. AND that it was a message to Arafat who had said there would be no attacks while he was out of commision. Basically Hamas is saying we dont answer to anyone. We have our specific agenda and we go by that.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

How's my Swedish:
On the news there was a text message saying (I think) that there was a message from the hospital saying Arafat has leukemia. Is that true?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:23 PM   #15
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

That's false, I remember reading that Arafat does not suffer from leukemia. They just reported on CNN that his health is improving.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Dang, my Swedish still sucks. It's worth noting that that's not the fault of the Swedish news.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:03 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Looks like he may be dead:
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...385027,00.html
Old 11-04-2004, 01:13 PM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Actually - it's very confusing and no one knows what is happening. A french official came out and gave a one sentence statement - "Arafat is not dead" and went back inside. Supposedly it is serious though - and it's only a matter of time before he dies.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #19
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I just heard on the radio during President Bush's press conference a reporter alert the president that Arafat had passed away.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
I just heard on the radio during President Bush's press conference a reporter alert the president that Arafat had passed away.
What I posted occurred AFTER the press conference. Supposedly there are rumors going around about his dying because of european leader made this statement - but supposedly it is incorrect.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide