Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2004, 03:25 AM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

The Power of the Rings

What were the powers of the seven rings of the dwarves. the nine rings of the nazgul, and the 3 rings of the elves? What did they do for the user? Im sure this is answered somewhere... and if people say check appendix A...
Old 08-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
What were the powers of the seven rings of the dwarves. the nine rings of the nazgul, and the 3 rings of the elves? What did they do for the user? Im sure this is answered somewhere... and if people say check appendix A...
Actually, I believe it's mentioned in the end of the Sil.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
IIRC, all of the Rings of Power were created to ward off the effects of time. Sauron aided the smiths of Eregion, along with Celebrimbor in their creation. Sauron, however had no part in the making of the Three Elven Rings and when his plan to ensnare all the others was learned, Celebrimbor hid the Three and Sauron never touched them, although all the Rings of Power were tied to the One Ring. The Three Rings in particular:

Vilya - the ring of air - most powerful of the three - worn by Elrond
Nenya - the ring of water - second of the three - worn by Galadriel
Narya - the ring of fire - third ring of the Elves - worn by Gandalf

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Haradrim

But why would Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf have use of a ring that slows the affects of time. When all three can live forever.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
But why would Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf have use of a ring that slows the affects of time. When all three can live forever.
Galadriel used it to slow the time down, to enjoy, I think, Middle Earth as much as she can before going west. I'm not sure really how Elrond used it, I need to read that part again, I think many meetings, in FotR. Gandalf didn't use it to slow the time down, Cirdan gave it to him to help him in his mission. I don't think it had anything to do with time though.

Remember how in Lorien they felt that they spent there a long time, while they actually stayed there two weeks or so..? And in Rivendell, the hobbits felt like something very old is still there, IIRC? (I mean, something from ages passed)

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 08-21-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
Haradrim

So thats why they flet that way after leaving both polaces. I just read somewhere that Elronds ring gives him power to protect his realm of Rivnedell. I was oretty sure that was why the flood came. And Lorien had kindof a slow time spell work on it. Heh thats kind of funny. but Gandalfs ring?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

From Sil:
Quote:
...but in all it [Narya] will support thee [Gandalf]and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindlehearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill...
By Cirdan.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
Haradrim

So Gandalf couldnt weary because he always had the spirit of fire. Just dont put him under an upside down glass.

So Gandalf- fiery spirit
Galadriel- time slow downy thing
Elrond- Protects his own borders

okay cool but what powers did the dwarven rings give
Old 08-21-2004, 11:24 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, they were made to subjugate the dwarves - much like the 9 given to men - but all it did was make them more inclined to lust after gold!
Old 08-21-2004, 11:31 PM   #10
Haradrim

That seems pretty wimpy to me. All they do is make you lust after gold. SO why didnt the dwarves just through the rings into their treasure box. That way they could own it but not lust for gold so much.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

And that turned against them as because Sauron had aided in making them they were all consumed in dragon fire or so it says somewhere.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:00 PM   #12
Haradrim

not all if you are referring to erebor. Dain. if not what are you talking about?
Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I'm not sure if all of the Seven are accounted for. Some were consumed by dragons and I believe it says somewhere that Sauron regained some of them.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:22 AM   #14
Haradrim

I just read in Appendix A that Thrain actually had a ring and he was given it by Thror before Thror was killed by Azog. Thats why Sauron captured him and thats wwhy Gandalf found him in BArad-dur.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain

Gandalf found Thrain in the dungeons of Dol-Guldur not Barad-Dur and it says in CoE that the Ring passed from thror to Thrain but not from Thrain to Thorin.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #16
Haradrim

First off I never said anything about Thorin getting the ring (but if I did I am sorry) and secondly sorry about the dol Goldur and Barad-Dur mix up. It says in Appendix A that Thrain tried to take Erebor himself and I think BAlin and maybe Dwalin went with him. But Sauron hampered him the entire way and when they trasveled through Mirkwood one night Thrain just disappeared through the night. So Sauron got his ring.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:00 AM   #17
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
That seems pretty wimpy to me. All they do is make you lust after gold. SO why didnt the dwarves just through the rings into their treasure box. That way they could own it but not lust for gold so much.
Remember that the Dwarves in general already had an inherent preference for gold and jewels, before they got the Rings. Not a bad thing in itself, but the Rings made use of this weakness of theirs and turned it into greed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I'm not sure if all of the Seven are accounted for. Some were consumed by dragons and I believe it says somewhere that Sauron regained some of them.
It is said by Gandalf in 'The shadow of the past' that Sauron recovered three of te Dwarven Rings, the rest of them were consumed by dragon-fire.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:52 AM   #18
Haradrim

Still just lust. Why not absolute consuming desire. Like if they saw gold or heard of it they would blindly try to take it and take it by any means necessary. Even from family members and friends. That would be cool and evil. They would basically become little teenie dragons. hehehehehehe.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 AM   #19
Telcontar_Dunedain

No for they wished for wealth of Dwark kind (I think) so they would not have stole from other Dwarves and they could resist the pull of their rings more than the men.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:02 AM   #20
Haradrim

Im just saying that those rings seem kind of wimpy to me. I thoguth total lust would be cooler than just regular lust. I mean imagine seven dwarves doing anything to get ehtier hand on all gold everywhere. Sauron would have completely knocked out the dwarves cuz the dwarves would be constantly fighting with each other. That would have been the smart thing to do. and also cooler