Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

eowyn and Faramir

Whwere did they live? Faramir being Steward and Eowyn being queen(was she. I can't remember.) Even if she wasn't I doubt she would want to leave Rohan. Maybe they had a summer home somewhere in the middle.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

They went to live in Ithilien. (That was the area where Faramir first encountered Frodo and Sam - where the waterfall and cave was).

Aragorn granted this area to Faramir as his Princedom. I think it would have been a beautiful place to live.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

More specifically, I think it says they would live in Emyn Arnen... a small clump of mountains just SE of Minas Tirith - indeed in Ithilien.

Once cleansed of evil, I think it would've been like the countryside of northern Italy.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

That would have been about the same latitude, by my calculations.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
Haradrim

cool very nice. but why did eowyn leave rohan. I mean rohan wsas where her people were where her "father" Theoden lived and died for. I cant believe she would leave it so easily. I know she visits but still.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
cool very nice. but why did eowyn leave rohan. I mean rohan wsas where her people were where her "father" Theoden lived and died for. I cant believe she would leave it so easily. I know she visits but still.
That's just the way people did things in the 'old days'! When two people from two different places got married, the woman usually left her people and they lived where the man was from.

My wife thinks that these days, married couples more often gravitate toward the wife's family. That's true in our case... and one reason she'd like a daughter (a little afraid all her sons will abandon her in favor of their in-laws).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
Haradrim

Yes I agree thats the way things were done in the old times. Just like women who werent allowed to fight. Eru I am glad that never happened especially to Eowyn. But seriously Eowyn was not a normal female and Faramir would have respected that. She was a warrior and a leader. How could she abandon her land so easily.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
But seriously Eowyn was not a normal female and Faramir would have respected that. She was a warrior and a leader. How could she abandon her land so easily.
But Eowyn laid her blade to rest after her marriage, seeking to be more a healer than a warrior. Besides, it's not like Rohan was on the other side of Arda, no doubt she visited her brother from time to time. But her home now lay in Ithilien, at Faramir's side, not in Rohan.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:56 PM   #9
Attalus

Besides, Faramir was Prince of Ithilien as well as Hereditary Steward of Gondor. He would have had many duties, and needed Éowyn's help.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:27 AM   #10
Haradrim

I know that all of that makes sense but it just seems odd to me that she would leave the country that she loved so much and fought for and the country she grew up in, and the country all her friends lived. ITs just a little odd. Im not sayingits unreasonable but its just a little odd to me.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:28 AM   #11
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
But Eowyn laid her blade to rest after her marriage, seeking to be more a healer than a warrior. Besides, it's not like Rohan was on the other side of Arda, no doubt she visited her brother from time to time. But her home now lay in Ithilien, at Faramir's side, not in Rohan.
Yes. Remember her line, which I can't remember exactly, but was something like: Would you have it said, there goes Faramir who tamed the wild shieldmaiden of Rohan? To which Faramir replies Yes and jumps on her bones er I mean, well you know the rest...

She then devotes herself to healing, which would have been sorely needed in Ithilien.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
Haradrim

okay fine I will concede that it made sense for her to leave. But it wpuld have been hard right. I mean she wouldnt have left without lots of tears right?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:28 PM   #13
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
okay fine I will concede that it made sense for her to leave. But it wpuld have been hard right. I mean she wouldnt have left without lots of tears right?

Of course, it would have been hard and there would have been tears! But she loved Faramir and her position with him would be as noble as her position in Rohan.

Here's a real life example for you: I used to live about 1000 miles away from my birth family and only got to see them about once a year, twice if I could work it out. Believe me, there were plenty of tears whenever it was time for a visit to be over. But I had also made a life for myself 1000 miles away from them and when I had to leave those folks, there were plenty of tears on that end too. It's just the price one pays for loving 'cause you can't be in two places at the same time.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 AM   #14
Haradrim

Unless we could create a time machine then we could be in billions of places at the same time! WHA HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
On a serious note at least I know she felt bad cause then I dont know what I would have thought if she hadnt.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:45 AM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yet I'm guessing she would see Eomer again, him being King of Rohan and everything.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:58 AM   #16
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

In Appendix A it is mentioned that Eomer travelled often with Aragorn in the years following the War of the Ring and went often to Gondor. Eomer also married the daughter of Imrahil of Dol Amroth so I'm sure he would have had frequent contact with Eowyn.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #17
Haradrim

okay I understand. I just read Appendix A
Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #18
Attalus

Don't forget that Eowyn also went back to Rohan for Theoden's funeral, so she could have gotten her stuff and said her goodbyes then. Not without tears, surely.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #19
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yeah in The Steward and the King when Faramir says that if she will he will wed her she replied that she must first return to Rohan and help Eomer sought things out.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #20
Haradrim

So she went back to Rohan settled her affairs and then moved to Faramirs digs and they lived happily ever after.