Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-31-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

Tolkien's ?Mistake?

I think Tolkien might have made a mistake in his books...i can't remember which paticular book so i'm just posting this here.

Remember how Tolkien tells us that Hobbits don't recieve gifts on their birthdays instead they give gifts to their friends and family members who come to celebrate? Well then how come Smeagol and Deagol fight over THE Ring doesn't Deagol say he's already given Smeagol his birthday present and that this is his? Did Tolkien contridict himself or did i misread something?
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:01 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

After being separated for about 1700 years before Bilbo's birthday party, and maybe 1100 or 1200 years before Deagol found the Ring, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Shire Hobbits had developed different customs from the descendants of the Stoors who crossed from eastern Eriador back over the Misty Mountains and into the area of the Gladden... which included Deagol and Smeagol.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The customs described in the Hobbit were shire customs, we have little infromation on custom of Hobbits outside the late third age Shire and Bree. Deagol is separated by over a thousand years, and some hundreds of miles from Bilbo.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Actually, it was more like 600 years. Still, a big enough difference to make some customs change.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Wasn't there actually some question as to whether Smeagol and Deagol were evern Hobbits? In Gandalf's account to Frodo concerning Gollum, he states it as an assumption, doesn't he?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Wasn't there actually some question as to whether Smeagol and Deagol were evern Hobbits? In Gandalf's account to Frodo concerning Gollum, he states it as an assumption, doesn't he?
Oh, no! Another round of 'Was Gollum a Stoor?' fight. Somebody call Bacchus and Rob Roy. For the record, I think Gollum was a sort of proto-Hobbit, the missing link between Hobbits and Men. BTW, the Letters has a long, too long to quote here, explication of Shire Hobbits' birthday customs, but this definitely was within the bounds of tthose customs. He touches on Smeagol-Deagol, too.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, no! Another round of 'Was Gollum a Stoor?' fight. Somebody call Bacchus and Rob Roy.
LOL! You crack me up Doc.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #8
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gollum was a full-fledged Hobbit. Not a "proto-Hobbit", primitive Hobbit, pseudo-Hobbit, or anything else. He was a Stoor. Gandalf's comment about Gollum's people being akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors is made in the context of "the Stoors of the Shire" (which context has been established by the Prologue). Gollum was not a Stoor of the Shire. His people were descended from a group of Stoors who passed back over the Misty Mountains from Eriador without ever having settled in Arthedain.

As far as birthday gifts are concerned, Tolkien answered the question in one of his letters. Gollum's people did not observe the same birthday customs as the Hobbits of the Shire did. So, there was no mistake in the text.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Martinez
Gollum was a full-fledged Hobbit. Not a "proto-Hobbit", primitive Hobbit, pseudo-Hobbit, or anything else. He was a Stoor. Gandalf's comment about Gollum's people being akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors is made in the context of "the Stoors of the Shire" (which context has been established by the Prologue). Gollum was not a Stoor of the Shire. His people were descended from a group of Stoors who passed back over the Misty Mountains from Eriador without ever having settled in Arthedain.

As far as birthday gifts are concerned, Tolkien answered the question in one of his letters. Gollum's people did not observe the same birthday customs as the Hobbits of the Shire did. So, there was no mistake in the text.
I was going by that, and by the "Hobbits don't cheat" comment of Frodo's. He certainly was wicked for a Hobbit, but there are bad apples in every barrel, as Sam might say.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #10
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
...and by the "Hobbits don't cheat" comment of Frodo's. He certainly was wicked for a Hobbit, but there are bad apples in every barrel, as Sam might say.
Even that statement I take as Frodo's perception of a 'proper' Hobbit, or how a Shire Hobbit should act, in his experience... not a definitive statement about the make-up of Hobbits (like the famous 'Vulcans cannot tell a lie' thing from Star Trek - and Spock was actually lying to say so ). A Hobbit would be as capable of cheating as any Dwarf or Man... or even Elf I guess, as a Maia or Vala could fall...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 08-04-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Another excellent, thought-provoking thread, Val!!! I was going to say (before I read all the replies) that Gollum/Smeagol's people were related to hobbits (with some distance between them) or were an earlier version of the Shire hobbits...certainly as such (and because of the time element) there would be cultural and customary differences.

But it's very interesting to see the discussions...and now I'm not so sure about it anymore!!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruthiel's cat
Another excellent, thought-provoking thread, Val!!!
But... it's not my thread!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-04-2004, 02:48 PM   #13
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
But... it's not my thread!

It's all right, Val. I'll blame you for it anyway. I always do!!!

(Sorry, elvishfairy -- I'll blame the new job...no, let's blame Val!!! )

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:37 PM   #14
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruthiel's cat
! I was going to say (before I read all the replies) that Gollum/Smeagol's people were related to hobbits (with some distance between them) or were an earlier version of the Shire hobbits...certainly as such (and because of the time element) there would be cultural and customary differences.

But it's very interesting to see the discussions...and now I'm not so sure about it anymore!!
Ah, yes, a familiar phenomenon. The more you know, the less that you are sure of.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Another 'MISTAKE' that I've found is at Helms Deep Gimli says he has had nothing but wood to chop since Moria whereas when Legolas and Gimli found Aragorn and Boromir on Parth Galen Legolas said that they had hunted and killed many orcs but were more needed here. Anyway Tolkien was writing this for over 16 yrs. Can't he make a few mistakes?
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #16
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

That is odd. I wonder why Gimli said that, I mean it doenst furtherr the plot in any way so it just seems to be a useless mistake. oh well!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:58 PM   #17
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Another 'MISTAKE' that I've found is at Helms Deep Gimli says he has had nothing but wood to chop since Moria whereas when Legolas and Gimli found Aragorn and Boromir on Parth Galen Legolas said that they had hunted and killed many orcs but were more needed here. Anyway Tolkien was writing this for over 16 yrs. Can't he make a few mistakes?
He probably made more than a few mistakes, but the book doesn't specifically say that Gimli slew any Orcs at Parth Galen. So, we can let Tolkien off on a technicality.

And he didn't really spend 16 years on the story. He started it in December 1937 and finished the primary narrative in 1948, so he only spent about 11 years working on it.

The appendices required another 1-2 years' worth of work.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:00 PM   #18
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Another 'MISTAKE' that I've found is at Helms Deep Gimli says he has had nothing but wood to chop since Moria whereas when Legolas and Gimli found Aragorn and Boromir on Parth Galen Legolas said that they had hunted and killed many orcs but were more needed here.
That could just be Gimli's mistake, internal to the story.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:30 PM   #19
Valandil

Or maybe it's Gimli's sense of humor showing through... with a bit of a slam on how challenging it was to fight those particular orcs.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #20
Attalus

Gimli

Yeah, I've always put that down to Dwarvish hyperbole.