Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2004, 12:09 AM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

USAmerican?

For all you people using this term, what does the 'AMERICAN' flag look like?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
olsonm
Elf Lord

I don't use this term and I don't know why some do, but it seems likely that "AMERICAN" is being used continentally. If this is the case than there would be no "AMERICAN" flag just as there is no "AFRICAN" flag or "ASIAN'' flag. There is a European Union flag but I don't believe all European countries are members of the EU so it can't be called a "EUROPEAN" flag.

It is also possible that the term is a play on words. USA and American become USAmerican (USA-merican). Perhaps I'm drifting off topic, but I'm curious what the answer is.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I personally don't see what the big fuss is about with regards to this term. It defines a particular region that belongs on the North American continent. That being said, since I know it irritates some people, I defer from using it.

*BoP who doesn't see the big-ass deal*
Old 07-06-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Hemel
Elven Warrior

*sigh*

I decided not to post a long response to this, because I see no point in picking over old wounds. If anyone's interested in my views - as I am the person who first used 'USAmerican' on this board - then the post is somewhere in the middle of the 'what do people think of the 3 posts limit' thread. (Sorry, I don't know how to link to posts.)

I'm away for a few days now, so won't be able to participate further in this discussion.
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:07 AM   #5
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I personally don't see what the big fuss is about with regards to this term. It defines a particular region that belongs on the North American continent. That being said, since I know it irritates some people, I defer from using it.

I agree. What's so radical 'bout using USAmerican? Why does irritate you?

Quote:
Originally posted by SGH
what does the 'AMERICAN' flag look like?
it has red and white stripes and lots of stars.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 AM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I am a US American, born in the USA (PA), which is part of the hemisphere of the Americas (North and South). I started using it after traveling more and realizing that others in this hemisphere also consider themselves "Americans." I don't have any problem with the term.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Why so defensiive? I just asked a question out of curiosity since the term is being used so broadly.

Frankly, I could care less what people from other countries choose to call the citizens of the United States. I am an American and I know that, and that's all that matters. I can't remember ever hearing a Canadian referring to themselves as an American, nor a Mexican, or any others. I just find the whole thing to be sort of stupid. That's why I asked what the "American" flag looks like. If the American flag is red, white and blue with stars and stripes, why isn't it waving in Canada and Mexico and along with all the countries in S. America. And when the rest of the world says America is screwing up everything, I guess then that the US isn't the only ones getting the blame. Right?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Re: USAmerican?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
For all you people using this term, what does the 'AMERICAN' flag look like?
Isn't this nitpicking? This just further proves how some U.S. Americans find themselves superior to everyone else. Its pretty sad they only think of themselves as Americans, and won't acknowledge the fact that the entire continent is called America. So what makes the U.S.A. so damn special? Its not like they are slandering our country's name.. I live in the U.S.A. and have all of my life, I don't have a problem with being called a U.S. American.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 07-06-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Why so defensiive? I just asked a question out of curiosity since the term is being used so broadly.
Because the way you started this thread sounds defensive. I thought this was an old issue that we were supposed to drop, anyway?

Man, no wonder I don't frequent the moot as much as I used to anymore.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Because the way you started this thread sounds defensive. I thought this was an old issue that we were supposed to drop, anyway?

Same here...
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Re: USAmerican?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Isn't this nitpicking? This just further proves how some U.S. Americans find themselves superior to everyone else. Its pretty sad they only think of themselves as Americans, and won't acknowledge the fact that the entire continent is called America. So what makes the U.S.A. so damn special? Its not like they are slandering our country's name.. I live in the U.S.A. and have all of my life, I don't have a problem with being called a U.S. American.
Hmmm, I would say when the term started and the reasons given for useing it was nitpicking. As I said, since two whole continents are now America and the people in them are Americans, then when others start complaining about America, how many countries are they complaining about? Just trying to figure all this out.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #12
Beor
founder of the color blue

Re: Re: USAmerican?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
I think it is a little nitpicky to use the term USAmerican. Mainly because it is not just Americans that call Americans Americans. Everyone calles citizens of the United States of America Americans, and it is generally known what they are referring to. Maybe it is being a little too sensitive to worry about it, but whoever started calling us that in the first place was being a little too sensitive. I dont understand why there is so much anti-American stuff here, like everyone has something to say. Let it rest. We are all on the same planet, and we all post at the same damn message board. Who gives a **** if I am from America and you are from Turkey, or Japan, or Russia, or Guam, or Lichtenstein, we are all here to talk about tolkien and share our views on stuff, not to bash eachothers countries. Let whatever lies between you rest, whether its an ocean or a point of view, and try to act like adults. Damn. And dont leave the Moot over some petty stuff, because this is a good place, it is just lately that people have been at eachothers throats, and I dont understand why. There is enough pain and death and anger and hate going on in this world that we shouldnt have to deal with it here.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:39 AM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

It wasn't defensive at all. It was a question. If it was an old issue that was supposed to be dropped then why is the term still being used? And if you don't frequent the moot as much as you used to, that's your choice.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
It wasn't defensive at all. It was a question. If it was an old issue that was supposed to be dropped then why is the term still being used? And if you don't frequent the moot as much as you used to, that's your choice.
Because people like the term (including myself, a USAmerican). I thought it had been dropped because I hadn't seen too much discussion about it going on in the political boards (granted, I dont visit those often because of the flame baiting and utter disregard for other people's opinions), yet you started a thread on it. Also, since it obviously caused a stir in the past, why would you, an ADMIN, bring it up again?

Actually, I don't frequent it as often because I believe that many factors have made the quality of the board nosedive since I began posting here.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Because people like the term (including myself, a USAmerican). I thought it had been dropped because I hadn't seen too much discussion about it going on in the political boards (granted, I dont visit those often because of the flame baiting and utter disregard for other people's opinions), yet you started a thread on it. Also, since it obviously caused a stir in the past, why would you, an ADMIN, bring it up again?

Actually, I don't frequent it as often because I believe that many factors have made the quality of the board nosedive since I began posting here.
Well, the term has been used frequently in other threads including the July 4th thread. I started a thread about it, because since it was being used in such a broad manner, I would like to know how the problem will be solved in differentiating between all these Americans and these American countries. Is there something in Entmoot's rules that says admins can't start topic threads? And since it caused such a stir in the past, because some unlike yourself, didn't like the term, I would think that if people didn't care for the heat from it, they would stop useing it. And although I discussed with Hemel in PM about her reasons for useing the term, which I had no problem with, it was some others that ran off with it for the sole purpose of being arrogant and annoying.

As for the board nosediving and not frequenting it as much. MBs have a tendancy to do that. People come and go and when they go, others take their place. Just the nature of message boards.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #16
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've never heard the term before and don't quite get it

we are 'the united states of america', so it seems to make sense... unless there's some underlying theme i'm missing here

i'd say it's best to try to not take any general comments too much to heart, or it makes just about anything difficult to have a conversation about

i enjoy reading your posts btw starr and ragnarok, and hope there are enough positives here to overlook the occasional negatives
Old 07-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Personally I prefer the term "Yanks".

But NOT Yankees!!!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #18
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
If there is a problem why don't you change the name to:

The United States of North America, then.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #19
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Personally I prefer the term "Yanks".

But NOT Yankees!!!
I remember reading a story once on the meaning of Yankee depending on where you are from in the world.

To sumarize:

Outside of USA (Yankee = Someone from USA)
South of Mason-Dixon Line (Yankee = Someone from North of Mason-Dxon Line)
North of Mason-Dixon Line (Yankee = Someone from New England)

It went about two more levels, but I think you get the general idea. That and I forget how the other two levels went.

Definition of Yankee from YourDictionary.net

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

And now they are just a baseball team with an unfair advantage.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote