Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2004, 05:18 AM   #1
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Don't forget Tolkien

Is it me or are people lately posting only in the General messages forum? This is supposed to be a Tolkien board, remember?
This here is a request from your fellow mooter: remember the Tolkien forums and keep them alive!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'm with you there ... if I only had more time on my hand ...
Old 06-23-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Is it me or are people lately posting only in the General messages forum? This is supposed to be a Tolkien board, remember?
This here is a request from your fellow mooter: remember the Tolkien forums and keep them alive!
Wake up man. This is everything except a Tolkien Forum.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:16 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Lately I've been making a conscious effort to post more on what I call the 'north side' of the board.

And you know, this is more than just a message board. It truly IS an online community. We all need to keep this in mind and do what we can to build up the community, rather than tear it down.

In other words, I think we DO need to post more in the Tolkien forums... AND, I think we all need to take care to be nice to one another at all times.

Many look back fondly to how things 'used to be' around here. I challenge you - exert yourself to make it like that again, both for yourself and for others!

Go north!

Be nice!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 06-23-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

I like that, Valandil. "Go north! Be nice!" So elegant in the simplicity. I'll try. When my next Tolkien phase comes around...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
When my next Tolkien phase comes around...
*exerts "psychic energy" to try to get katya to "phase into" Tolkien*

*waits to see if it worked...*

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
katya
Elven Maiden

Hm...I think it might be helping. Yes, what's this? I'm having the urge to go barefoot. That's the first symptom. Ah! Momentary panic wondering whether I found my copy of TTT! (I did^^) Alright! I can do this, at least for today. Let's go! To the north!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Narnia and the North!

(oops, wrong book )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #9
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

But you expressed things well, Val, to Sminty - when she was talking about the same thing, and you noticed that it seemed to be a trend.

When I first found Entmoot, I was so thrilled to find a community that was as crazy about LoTR and the Sil as I was, and I was all over the Tolkien threads, and I made friends there. Then after a year, I gradually went over to GMs more. It's like that great dam of Tolkien talk was finally able to get out, then it's natural to want to talk of other things with friends. But it's Tolkien that brought us together and is a huge common bond. We can refer to Tolkien things on GMs, and you know people know what you're talking about.

But I think you're right, and I'm trying to get back on the Tolkien threads more, altho I'm sure it will never be at the pace that it was when I was a newbie here.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #10
Valandil

Yes - and activity in the Tolkien forums is still the best way for us to attract new members. With the tendency of people to come and go as they like, a constant influx of new members is a healthy thing.

So - not that we shun the 'south side' of the board... let's just not neglect the north!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 06-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I have a slightly different take on things here. I tend to read the threads on the "north" side to learn different things about Tolkien and to see how Tolkien is percieved by others. I contribute, but only to threads that I feel comfortable contributing to, given that many more people here are more knowledgable than I am. There are some subjects I couldn't even try to discuss, while there are others that I know a fair amount about and will put in my two cents.

I have learned a great deal as a viewer of the threads and enjoy them tremendously. I read the forums daily, just to see what is being discussed.

I try to contribute, too, on both sides of the board. It's fun and I enjoy the lively discussions and humor. That's why I enjoy the Moot and keep coming back for more...

(BC checks Lewis Carroll quote in her sig ... "You must be [mad]," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here..." hmmmmmmm)

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
Beor
founder of the color blue

"Harold Johnson is right about what Gabby Johnson said. Its just that kind of frontier gibberish that makes this place what it is"

Anyway, I agree with B's Cat. I have been trying to post more up there just because I recently found a lot of time on my hands and started reading again. But it can be somewhat intimidating to post up there with so many people who are so immeresed in the books (which is not a bad thing), it is hard sometimes to get a word in edgewise. Of course, I manage to, and I dont really care if you think I am an idiot (who knows, you may be right). Also, half the time, I plan on posting, but someone has already said what I want to say, and I am not going to post just to say, "I agree with Attalus and Sister Golden Hair and Lefty, and Maedhros, and Phil, and Steve, and everyone else who has just said that Gandalf is a wizard blah blah blah..."

Feel me?

At any rate, I do have a question, and since I have already rambled on (which is a kick ass song) so long, I may as well ask, is the Letters from Middle Earth thread contain made up letters, or is that actual stuff he wrote?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
At any rate, I do have a question, and since I have already rambled on (which is a kick ass song) so long, I may as well ask, is the Letters from Middle Earth thread contain made up letters, or is that actual stuff he wrote?
It's basically fanfic... stuff we ostensibly "find and translate" from maybe the Fairbairns library or the Took library, or some other ruins of old Middle-earth... same kinda places Tolkien found his various copies of the Red Book of Westmarch.

Wanna try your hand?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 06-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
Beor
founder of the color blue

yeah, I figure I will try my hand...not to get off topic
Old 06-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #15
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I can agree with you. I miss the cool Tolkien related discussions.

But, in fact, I have discussed most of the Tolkien related stuff I can discuss already and I don't want to comment on topics where I don't have a clue (may it be because of my bad memory or any other reason).

It's difficult. But I think that a lot of Mooters feel like that.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #16
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I can agree with you. I miss the cool Tolkien related discussions.

But, in fact, I have discussed most of the Tolkien related stuff I can discuss already and I don't want to comment on topics where I don't have a clue (may it be because of my bad memory or any other reason).

It's difficult. But I think that a lot of Mooters feel like that.
Indeed. Remember The Eldar Days even before the second age of the moot Lalaith? Seems like a life time ago.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I lurk in the Tolkien forums (though I did start a thread there recently *proud*) - but posting about Tolkien takes up more mooting time than posting about other things, somehow
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #18
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I'm with BC. I do that too; first when I come here, I go through all Tolkien-forums. I find most of them really interesting, but I don't contribute too much. After that I go south where everyone is. (that's just how it is)
I've learnt a lot too, both reading stuff in the North and the South.

This is why I haven't left Entmoot.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:16 PM   #19
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor

...But it can be somewhat intimidating to post up there with so many people who are so immeresed in the books (which is not a bad thing), it is hard sometimes to get a word in edgewise. Of course, I manage to, and I dont really care if you think I am an idiot (who knows, you may be right). Also, half the time, I plan on posting, but someone has already said what I want to say, and I am not going to post just to say, "I agree with Attalus and Sister Golden Hair and Lefty, and Maedhros, and Phil, and Steve, and everyone else who has just said that Gandalf is a wizard blah blah blah..."

Feel me?

Yeah, I'm feelin' it. Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels the same.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:04 AM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I read a lot of stuff in the Tolkien forums, but it's kinda hard to think of stuff to post when you've been around a while, you tend to have already discussed most things to a certain extent. Although, I am glad that posters like Olmer come in and turn things on their heads.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote