Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Beor
founder of the color blue

Proudest Moment in Tolkien

Before anyone gets riled up , I did a search, and came up with nothing for this. Here's the gist: I am just wondering what yall think is the part of the book that really gets you going, you read it, and its like you are there, like some charactor is right in front of you, and you share in his or her victory, tears of pride and happiness flow forth, and you want to cheer like you are at a Vikings (or some other inferior team, depending on your state, or country ) game and they just scored a touchdown.

For me it is in Return of the King, in the Appendicies, actually, when he is describing the line of the Northern Kingdom, when he gets around to saying that Aragorn took the throne and the line of kings was restored, because it seems to me like all the wars and sorrow, and all the struggles in all the books led to that one point, when Aragorn and Arwen wed and the great line of kings was brought together once again.

just wondering. Aack!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I know what you're talking about, Beor. I've had several moments like these in the books.
Here are some:
-When Gandalf breaks Saruman's staff.
-When Eowyn reveals herself to the witch king
-When Sam carries Frodo up mount Doom
-When Aragorn judges Beregond (you really feel his royalty and power in that part)
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

This of Eomer on the Pelennor fields, after Theoden was slain, but before he knew that Aragorn and not the corsairs of Umbar were on board in the approaching ships:
Quote:
Stern now was Éomer’s mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deeds of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark. So he rode to a green hillock and there set his banner, and the White Horse ran rippling in the wind.

Out of doubt, out of dark to the day’s rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope’s end I rode and to heart’s breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

These staves he spoke, yet he laughed as he said them. For once more lust of battle was on him; and he was still unscathed, and he was young, and he was king: the lord of a fell people. And lo! even as he laughed at despair he looked out again on the black ships, and he lifted up his sword to defy them.
And Húrin defying Morgoth:
Quote:
Therefore Húrin was brought before Morgoth, for Morgoth knew that he had the friendship of the King of Gondolin; but Húrin defied him, and mocked him. Then Morgoth cursed Húrin and Morwen and their offspring, and set a doom upon them of darkness and sorrow; and taking Húrin from prison he set him in a chair of stone upon a high place of Thangorodrim. There he was bound by the power of Morgoth, and Morgoth standing beside him cursed him again; and he said: 'Sit now there; and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come upon those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, Master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shalt thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.'

And even so it came to pass; but it is not said that Húrin asked ever of Morgoth either mercy or death, for himself or for any of his kin.
And Fingolfin's challenge to Morgoth:
Quote:
In that vast shadow once of yore
Fingolfin stood: his shield he bore
with field of heaven's blue and star
of crystal shining pale afar.
In overmastering wrath and hate
desperate he smote upon that gate,
the Gnomish king, there standing lone,
while endless fortresses of stone
engulfed the thin clear ringing keen
of silver horn on baldric green.
His hopeless challenge dauntless cried
Fingolfin there: 'Come, open wide,
dark king, your ghastly brazen doors!
Come forth, whom earth and heaven abhors!
Come forth, 0 monstrous craven lord,
and fight with thine own hand and sword,
thou wielder of hosts of banded thralls,
thou tyrant leaguered with strong walls,
thou foe of Gods and elvish race!
I wait thee here. Come! Show thy face!'
*sigh*
Old 06-23-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good idea for a thread.

I'm beside Artanis on the Pelennor Fields, though there's so much great stuff that I couldn't pull it out of context. When it gets to the end of the chapter, with the recital of those who'd died, you feel like you've been through it yourself.

The passage from the Chamber of Mazarbul to when they escape and throw themselves on the ground weeping is another vivid, emotional wringer (though perhaps not so victorious).

Also the Uruk-Hai, and their pursuit by the Rohirrim. Fantastic writing: economical and fast-paced. Could that be the first time those words have ever been applied to JRRT's work?

On first reading, I would have put the destruction of Isengard and Helm's Deep up there too, though they don't have the same resonance on re-reading.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Maikanarë
Sapling

The Scouring of the Shire.

Quote:
This was too much for Pippin. His thoughts went back to the Field of Cormallen, and here was a squint-eyed rascal calling the Ring-bearer 'little cock-a-whoop'. He cast back his cloak, flashed out his sword, and the silver and sable of Gondor gleamed on him as he rode forward. 'I am a messenger of the King,' he said. 'You are speaking to the King's friend, and one of the most renowned in all the lands of the West. You are a ruffian and a fool. Down on your knees in the road and ask pardon, or I will set this troll's bane in you!' The sword glinted in the westering sun.
Maikanarë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

When Eowyn fought the Witch King- I always get teary eyed there

When Frodo talks back to the wraiths after crossing the ford. He's all tired and sick but still has a bit of spunk! Actually, I just value this part on account of what happened in the movie...

I bet there's lots in the Sil. I just haven't read it yet....poor me...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

The Fields:

Battle of the Pelennor Fields... esp right after what Artanis refers to, when the ships arrive up the Anduin... and you THINK all will now be lost... but it's the heroes, riding to the rescue!

The Field of Cormallen... the Great Task has been accomplished, the Great Enemy has been defeated, let the celebration begin!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gaffer: Thanks! I appriciate the compliment, man.

Yall keep reminding me of all these parts, and I happen to agree with all of them, but I also must say, pretty much any part where Theoden does something cool makes me cry. I want to point to him (in the book) and say "thats my boy. Thats my boy "

Another part is the account of the city of Gondolin in BOLT 2, and the account of the fall of Gondolin in the same book. Espically when Glorfindel and his people win to the square and reinforce Tuor and the rest, and when the Kings battalion gets into it. It is a very moving story.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #9
Anglorfin
Alasailon

All the battle scenes involving the hobbits after the Scouring. It felt like home, but the hobbits finally got a chance to gain the respect they deserved from their own people.

When Sam stands against Shelob and later when he was rescuing Frodo from the Orcs. His description as some type of Elven hero is really moving. While it may not be a fitting description for his stature, it reflects his courage and good will perfectly.

When Feanor swears the oath and names Melkor Morgoth. While not really "good' it was definately a proud moment.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #10
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I know these aren't all of them, but here's a few of mine (good topic, btw):

Eowyn revealing herself to the Witch King. Brilliant, perfect, and definately rousing.

Sam telling himself to shut up, because he 'said I'd carry him if it broke my back and my heart and I have to leave everything but my bones behind'. Love that part. Love Sam.

When Pippin sees the White City for the first time. Pretty gripping.

One that steals it all is the part in Moria after Gandalf relieves Pippin of the watch that he (Gandalf) conferred upon him (Pippin) as punishment for tossing the rock down the well. Right after that, when Pippin's about to fall asleep, is this most evocative description of Gandalf lighting his pipe in the dark, and the flicker of him lighting the pipe flashing on his face... that moment I can feel it's so well written.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #11
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot:

Sam's fight with Shelob and Gollum (well, Gollum first, then Shelob). That part is sooooooo great!!!

Right before Frodo ascends Sauron's Road to the Cracks of Doom, when Gollum attacks him. 'If you ever touch me again you yourself will be thrown into the cracks of Fire.' I love that part. I love Frodo's victory over Gollum.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #12
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
...Right before Frodo ascends Sauron's Road to the Cracks of Doom, when Gollum attacks him. 'If you ever touch me again you yourself will be thrown into the cracks of Fire.' I love that part. I love Frodo's victory over Gollum.
which is exactly what happened anyway.

my moment is the return of gandalf
just when you think all is lost, the captain returns, excellent!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #13
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I really like this quote from The Retrun of the King, chapter: The Battle of Pelennor Fields, pg 826. It demonstrates the bravery and courage of Eomer and the Rohirrim.

Quote:
Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'

And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #14
Keith K
Elf Lord

For me one of the proudest moments is the scene at the Gate of Minas Tirith when it is broken by the Witch King. All the defenders have fled save Gandalf and Shadowfax. Then a cock crows, the dawn breaks the darkness, and at that very moment horns, horns, blowing in the North...Rohan had come at last.....
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:57 PM   #15
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Eowyn's killing of the Witch-King, with her challenge: "You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."
Old 07-23-2004, 07:32 AM   #16
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Frodo's sacrifice.....

Quote:
"I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them"
Old 07-24-2004, 01:42 AM   #17
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
And Fingolfin's challenge to Morgoth:

In that vast shadow once of yore
Fingolfin stood: his shield he bore
with field of heaven's blue and star
of crystal shining pale afar.
In overmastering wrath and hate
desperate he smote upon that gate,
the Gnomish king, there standing lone,
while endless fortresses of stone
engulfed the thin clear ringing keen
of silver horn on baldric green.
His hopeless challenge dauntless cried
Fingolfin there: 'Come, open wide,
dark king, your ghastly brazen doors!
Come forth, whom earth and heaven abhors!
Come forth, 0 monstrous craven lord,
and fight with thine own hand and sword,
thou wielder of hosts of banded thralls,
thou tyrant leaguered with strong walls,
thou foe of Gods and elvish race!
I wait thee here. Come! Show thy face!'

*sigh*
I'd have to say that's probably mine. I love the whole description in the Sil where it seemed to Fingolfin that he "beheld the utter ruin of the Noldor" and rode like Oromë looking for Morgoth. (Sorry if I got some of that wrong, it's from memory). I also love the next line, which appears in both the Sil and the Lay. "And Morgoth came."

If there's anything better, it's Theoden's speech right before the Rohirrim charge. He grabs a horn and "blew such a mighty blast upon it that it smote asunder". And then they charge.

Both those parts get me every time.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:56 AM   #18
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Some parts in particular:
-Conspirancy Unmasked
-Flight to the Ford
-When Merry and Pippin meet Treebeard
-Sam's fight with Shelob
-Slaying of the Witch-King
-Houses of Healing
-Scourging of the Shire

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:02 AM   #19
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

These parts I feel sum up what LOTR is all about:

Aragorn deciding Beregonds fate,
Sam defiying his fear and searching for Frodo in Cirth Ungol
The Field of Cormallen.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 AM   #20
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

For me the best part is like the first three chapter sof FOTR. You just get a sense of how beautiful it was. And you really understood how the hobbits could be content being seperated from the rest of the world. They were so happy, and ignorant. I just wanted to go live there myself and I still do.
Haradrim is offline   Reply With Quote