Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Strider *Unofficial* LOTR sequel

Hey guys! How's everyone doing?
I remember reading once (in UT I think) that Tolkien intended to write a sequel to LOTR where the men of Gondor turn to the worship of the shadow or something; but, most unfortunately, he sailed to Valinor before managing to do it. So I was thinking how about if we, the Tolkien fanatics, go about writing it for him?

Now, I have no idea how to go about this. I'd like to hear your suggestions (if you're interested) as to how we could do it: for example: each person does a chapter or each person suggests a plot and we elaborate on the most popular one etc...

Any suggestions?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
AntiXZer01
Hobbit

Is this "Sequal" a real thing Tolkien intended? Where was this written, im sure that if any more was to be writen Christopher Tolkien would have known of it. He wouldn't of known what to write but he would be able to confirm any further writings. I personaly would like to see more written more on the histories like actuall stories not historical accounts like silmarillion. a full story of beren and luthien, full stories of the houses of Rohan and their history.
AntiXZer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Great idea, Beren3000! This would be a long-term project, and a very interesting one indeed.

I don't know how you people are doing with the LotR-project; do you have any energy left for another one?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

He started one; it's in one of the HoME books, I think - I'll try to find it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It's called "The New Shadow", and it's in HoME 12, The Peoples of Middle Earth. It's about 8 pages long.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Sounds like a repeat of Akallabeth. I think I'd have fun joining in unofficially writing it.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:09 AM   #7
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Really! I never knew he got to actually write it,RÃ*an. But even so, we can use these 8 pages as a starting point and make (do I dare say it?) a full-length story.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #8
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

So, suggestions anyone? I have a basic outline of the story in my head but I want to hear some suggestions first, as I'm sure there would be ideas much better than mine.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Hate to be TOO much of a 'wet blanket' - but I don't think JRRT ran out of time on this one. I think he just concluded it would be 'anti-climactic' - and elected not to write it.

Do you think you can make it work with a 'group effort' though? I'm sort of leery on that one with a writing project. If you want to make a go of it though, best wishes!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:54 PM   #10
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

So much for suggestions
Old 06-16-2004, 03:58 PM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Beren3000
So much for suggestions
Sorry... you're certainly free to try if you feel inspired though. Perhaps it was just lack of inspiration that kept Tolkien from tackling it. Inspiration is probably the biggest key to successful writing (I just made that up!).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:01 PM   #12
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

LOL
I guess you're right, though. It would've been kinda anticlimatic to Tolkien...but not to the mooters
Old 06-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Minielin
Sounds like a repeat of Akallabeth. I think I'd have fun joining in unofficially writing it.
Quite different in flavour, actually. It starts somewhat like a mystery novel, and the main character is, if I remember it right, is a son of Beregond, the guard that saved Faramir from Denethor’s madness.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #14
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Quite different in flavour, actually. It starts somewhat like a mystery novel, and the main character is, if I remember it right, is a son of Beregond, the guard that saved Faramir from Denethor’s madness.
Ooh, that sounds even better, as I adore mystery novels. That would be an interesting character to work with...
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #15
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Oh! The story I have in mind is set long after the time of Beregond (or his son, for that matter). Since nobody posted any ideas (and since I unfortunately don't have access to the HOME series and "The New Shadow" novella), I'm going to post the outline of the story I have in mind. Please bear with me, I know the following will sound farfetched and maybe childish. Anyway, here goes:

Aragorn sets up a temple in Gondor for the worship of Eru and the Valar. Many generations after that, the priests baffle the people with mystic rites in order to gain political and social power. Then, one man of Gondor gets visions of an angel-like being in his dreams advising him on how to restore order and true religion to Gondor (and Middle-Earth). This Luther King figure leads a rebellion and drives the priests away and sets up a new and sincere worship of the Valar. Meanwhile, the priests escape Gondor and reach Harad. In Harad, they are seduced and blinded by power so that they perform some satanic rites to restore Morgoth to a human shape. From then on, wars rage between the Men and Morgoth. The men being helpless against his powers call on the Valar who come to their help themselves fighting Dagor Dagorath and bringing about the end of days...

I can see you laughing your heads off and pointing at the screen with scorn, but hey! I asked for suggestions and got none so I had to come up with something! Anyway, thoughts ???
Old 06-18-2004, 01:55 PM   #16
Beor
founder of the color blue

Well, I just noticed this thing, and I like the idea, and I havent read the part in HOME 12, but I think you could do something with those two wily blue wizards that went east. They could be evil too, hell, they are already Maiar, so it aint too much of a leap to be evil Maiar (I mean, look at these suckers, Balrogs, Sauron, Saruman, Tim, the list is endless) ( there are good ones too, but dang! )
Old 06-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #17
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Good suggestion, thanks ! Care to help?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:37 PM   #18
entss89
lord of the ents

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
Well, I just noticed this thing, and I like the idea, and I havent read the part in HOME 12, but I think you could do something with those two wily blue wizards that went east. They could be evil too, hell, they are already Maiar, so it aint too much of a leap to be evil Maiar (I mean, look at these suckers, Balrogs, Sauron, Saruman, Tim, the list is endless) ( there are good ones too, but dang! )
I would have to totally agree with that, i believe your really on to something... but the question i have is who will prevail at the finishing of this story...

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.

Last edited by entss89 : 06-18-2004 at 03:38 PM.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 05:04 PM   #19
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Well, the Valar will prevail over Morgoth (DUH!)
Old 06-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #20
Beor
founder of the color blue

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
I would have to totally agree with that, i believe your really on to something... but the question i have is who will prevail at the finishing of this story...
Well, it would have to be men alone against whatever evil they face. Men of Gondor and Arnor, but still remaining men, and they would be up to a hell of a fight, as the Blues would have most or all of the easterlings on their side, out of fear or whatever. Victory would have to come at a huge cost, destruction and death on both sides, and much sorrow. The end, I'd imagine could be with handfuls of survivers scattered around middle earth, with the few that remember anything of the Old days probably settleing in the northern parts of the world, and passing knowledge down through generations, thus leaving us at the early bronze age (check out the Middle earth engineering thread at SF Fandom). Decent tie-in to modern times, and this could be where we get "the Blues" from, eh? *nudges* eh? Anyway, the knowledge and legends passed down through the ages is probably how Eriol came about it, and through his writings, JRR Tolkien. No problem.