Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2004, 01:11 AM   #1
Glorfindel_of_Gondolin
Hobbit

A question of height...

Firstly, this is not another debate on the actual height of hobbits, elves and men.

Tolkien has a bit of a thing for "Height = Grace"

All through the Silmarilion, unfinished tales and LOTR, constant mentions of the height of characters is made, and it is usually in reference to their overall goodness. Elendil the tall, the dunadain being taller than lesser men, elves being taller again. Tolkien seems to associate height with strength, grace and wisdom.

Of course, where do hobbits fit into this argument?

Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Well, I seem to see height usually equaling nobility in the grand scheme... and hobbits, despite their major plus sides, are not usually considered grandly noble.
They can be, but this is seen as shocking - so maybe what I mean is that it represents the expectation of nobility.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
Durin1
Elven Warrior

It is one of my little irritants that there is this aspect of height = nobility.

Maybe it's because i'm not that tall (in real life, not Durin! ) but I just cannot understand that you have to be tall to be wise, heroic and strong. As far as I can remember, Hurin is the only one that Tolkien mentions who is unusually "short(er)" than others of his race; although he happens to be the best fighting machine around during his time.

I think I agree that it is the "expectation" of nobility that height has particular emphasis.

Looking at it from another point of view, maybe Tolkien was thinking about his fascination for mythology of Northern Europe; in that he wanted to create a particular type of people that should be made distinctive?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
Anglorfin
Alasailon

As for hobbits, their defining traits really did not include being noble. They were for the most part stealthy.

What I am most curious about is how Dwarves fit in. They definately come off as a noble race to me yet their stature is somewhat diminished. And I don't recall height ever being mentioned about any dwarf.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:24 PM   #5
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
Quote:
it represents the expectation of nobility.
To extend that a little...hobbits being underestimated seems to be a constant event. This could be a way of showing this contrast.

Dwarves never seemed all that noble to me. I don't know...