Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The Iron Chef

OK, who here loves the TV show "The Iron Chef"?

Having had 2 surgeries in 6 months, I've spent a bit of time recouping while watching tv, and I just LOVE that show! It's a great combination of over-the-top funniness (that Chairman Koga or whatever his name is, with his outlandish clothes and style) and really, REALLY talented chefs that do some AMAZING things with the ingredient for the day, which they unveil right before the chefs start (they're given one hour). I want to eat EVERYTHING they make! (well, except when the ingredient was octopus - yuck!)

Does anyone else like this show? Is it on outside the US? The BIG American/IronChef showdown is this weekend - Wolfgang Puck and 2 other chefs that live in America vs. the Iron Chef crew.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:03 AM   #2
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Yes Rian, I've seen it several times.
As I have a sibling who wants to be a chef, the cooking channel is generally on. I love to see the deserts that they make and everything looks so creative and delicious.

I didn't know about the showdown this weekend, sounds interesting. Who are you rooting for?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Shouldn't this be in the Entertainment forum? I love that show too!

Iron Chef Chinese is my favourite, he's always like "The food is good? I mean... of course it's good!"
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 AM   #4
Janny
The Blobbit

Didn't he terrorise Europe in the late 19 hundreds, then have a battleship named after him that was sunk?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I have tried to watch that show several times, but it just doesn't "do it" for me. I guess I'll try one more time, obviously I'm missing something!

I like the show "$40 a day", and that same Rachel girl's "30 minute meals". She's talks and smiles so cute, and is very personable to watch. $40 a day is really interesting for the travel also. I always liked the "Great Chefs of ....." series too. Maybe because Iron Chef is so *foreign*....?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
Didn't he terrorise Europe in the late 19 hundreds, then have a battleship named after him that was sunk?
LOL
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I've seen the octopus show!! It was unbelievable!!! I don't follow it regularly, but I love the Food Network and often watch it when there is nothing else to watch. (I think Emeril is a kick and Lisa and Dweezil are so cute!!! )

The mother of one of my girlfriends is from Japan and she and her husband are absolutely nuts about Iron Chef.

I think it's really off the wall, but great for a few laughs (the dubbing into English is hysterical!! ).

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I watched the Lisa and Dweezil show a bit once, and found it boring also! What's wrong with me! I better give it another try. My husband kept asking..."Are they playing guitar? Did he get the guitars out?"
I'm so in love with "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" right now. I'll try to appreciate these shows again though. I hate to miss out on good *non fictiony* TV shows!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #9
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Re: The Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
OK, who here loves the TV show "The Iron Chef"?

Having had 2 surgeries in 6 months, I've spent a bit of time recouping while watching tv, and I just LOVE that show! It's a great combination of over-the-top funniness (that Chairman Koga or whatever his name is, with his outlandish clothes and style) and really, REALLY talented chefs that do some AMAZING things with the ingredient for the day, which they unveil right before the chefs start (they're given one hour). I want to eat EVERYTHING they make! (well, except when the ingredient was octopus - yuck!)

Does anyone else like this show? Is it on outside the US? The BIG American/IronChef showdown is this weekend - Wolfgang Puck and 2 other chefs that live in America vs. the Iron Chef crew.
Sounds a bit like Ready, Steady, Cook! on BBC Food. Except they're given twenty minutes for a main course and ten for dessert.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

I've been forced to watch it when visiting my dad. Squid ink ice cream? wtf? That's just nasty!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

There you go! That would lose me too! Squid! ICK!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:03 AM   #12
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
I think it's really off the wall, but great for a few laughs (the dubbing into English is hysterical!! ).
That's one of the best parts!

"Kui-san! Kui-san!"

"Yes, Ohto?"

"Kui-san, the challenger is actually adding the octopus suction cups to his dish now!"

And the cheesy piano music at the end when they're announcing the verdict, and the famous line "whose cuisine reigns supreme?"

And that terrible violin music when they're showing the dishes that have been prepared - just hysterical! But oh, those dishes .... (except the squid and octopus ones, but those are rare)

THen some of those tasters ... "I just want to be alone and reflect on this dish...."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
Rían

Re: Re: The Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by Andúril
Sounds a bit like Ready, Steady, Cook! on BBC Food. Except they're given twenty minutes for a main course and ten for dessert.
That sounds fun, too, but what I like about this show is that they usually prepare 4 to 6 dishes (all containing the theme ingredient) that are entirely different. Last night the theme was duck, and the challenger even made a dessert out of it! (prob. not as good as the squid ink ice cream, tho *passes some to Ruinel* )

Old 04-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #14
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Re: Re: The Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by Andúril

Actually, that show was on the Food Network here for awhile. I remember seeing it about 3 1/2 years ago, when I was recovering from surgery!!!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to the Entertainment forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #16
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I (and especially my father) watch that show a lot. It's hilarious, especially the poor dubbing out of the Japanese. The voices... are great. And of course, the dishes are fascinating.
My favorite bit was a couple days ago I saw (a rerun, they have to be, since they stopped being new in 1999 with the occasional special now) with this exchange:

"Kui-san?

Yes, Ohto?

Challenger Ohto says he is sure he can win"

May not be an exact quote, but the way he said Challenger Ohto was like he had no idea it was the same name as he had. I may not explain that well, but it was hilarious on the spot.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

The food network is one of the few reasons I ever watch anything besides news and sports on tv now. And yeah ive been an iron chef nut for a while now. its just so funny yet so good at the same time. and all you squid and octopus haters can stop being culture biased the stuff is great when prepared by master chiefs. Id kill to work on the set of that show and get to eat some of the food or take it home.

Have you seen the ones where they would give them multiple items? Those are hysterical. Its always something that just you would never think to put in the same sentence. "The foods for the day are.... RUTABEGA! SEA URCHIN! and.... KIWI FRUIT!!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:15 PM   #18
Rían

No, I've never seen the multiple items ones - sounds interesting!

Old 04-22-2004, 04:08 PM   #19
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I've seen it a few times (never the entire show, though).

What I find strange and interesting is that the show is dubbed. That never happens in Finnish television! But it's not dubbed to Finnish; but English.
I've never understood why they dub movies, shows etc. My friends and I always laugh when we're abroad and watch television. It's sad.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:45 PM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

So is this poor dubbing done on purpose, or is it just lame? (Are you laughing at them or with them? )

I see why I didn't "get" the show ...I didn't realize it was supposed to be a comedy.