Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

is this real?

this is a link to a site with a picture of a camel spider, which i have been seeing alot of pics in the last couple weeks, it says that these are in iraq and im just wondering if anyone knows for sure camel spider

WARNING:do not veiw if you have arachnophobia or something, or if you just hate bugs
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

That iraq photo is photoshopped. The spiders exist alright, but they're not the size of small cats.

http://www.frgnews.com/spider.htm
Old 04-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

ahhh thanks BoP, but jesus they still look big
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

It may only be forced perspective in the photo rather than alteration. The men in the background a further away and the spiders are smaller than they seem in the picture. Now anyone who watched THE MOVIES has seen that.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
Ruinel
Banned

There are bigger, hairier spiders in South America. The tarantulas there really do get to be as big as dinner plates. I'm partial to the pink-toed tarantulas myself.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

ok... the very idea of a giant hairy spider that is attracted to sleeping bags and eats flesh is enough to give me the willies for the next three weeks thanks very much... whether its true or not...

*shiver*

course rattle snakes like crawling up in campers sleeping bags when they arent looking. now THATS gotta be a shocker when you stick your feet in there.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
ok... the very idea of a giant hairy spider that is attracted to sleeping bags and eats flesh is enough to give me the willies for the next three weeks thanks very much... whether its true or not...

*shiver*

course rattle snakes like crawling up in campers sleeping bags when they arent looking. now THATS gotta be a shocker when you stick your feet in there.
Always shake your bag before you slip in, silly.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:20 PM   #8
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

How did they get the one camel spider to bite the other one in the ass like that?

Last edited by Andúril : 04-20-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Always shake your bag before you slip in, silly.
hey is that some sort of safe sex inuendo.... better watch it theyll close this thread.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:

dont say there wasnt a warning
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-22-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Camel Spiders

Camel spiders are one of the fastest running arthropods. Although they have four pairs of legs, they run using only three pairs. The first pair of legs or pedipalpi are held up in front of them and used in a similar manner to the antennae of insects. They have very long, silky setae and are constantly moving in order to locate and pick-up prey. Despite their fearsome appearance and their strong bite, solifugids are unlikely to harm humans. In the past they were considered venomous and extremely dangerous but it is now thought that the only risk of injury resulting from them is caused by shock or infection following a bite. There is no evidence of venom in any part of their body.

Camel spiders are nocturnal predators of other arthropods including scorpions and are voracious feeders. Some species kill and feed on lizards and it is speculated that others kill mice and birds. They rely solely on their speed and stealth to catch their prey. In desert areas they are often attracted to lights at night in search of food and their appearance can cause alarm if they enter tents. It is rare to see them during the winter months and they are thought to hide or hibernate during cold periods.
This is from BoPs excellent link. So they don't feed on flesh ( ), or jump up on camels. I can tell you I won't be having nightmares about that.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:04 PM   #12
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
hey is that some sort of safe sex inuendo.... better watch it theyll close this thread.