Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2004, 04:23 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

morphological freedom

''This is a belief that indiviuals have the right to posses total control over their bodies. This includes the right to alter the body or the brain in anyway, whether chemical...,cybernetic, genetic,surgical, or memetic....

Would you be for, against, or neutral?

Would you attempt to prohibit others from such change?
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:14 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I should be studying for a final exam so I'll make this response brief: like anything to do with rights and individual liberties, the role of a liberal democracy is to permit it insofar as it does not threaten the rights of other citizens protected by the state. For example, while there are little grounds to be banning something like cybernetic implants in a broad sweeping sense, let's say someone got Superman-style pseudo-X-ray-vision implants to see under people's clothes - that's an example of where a line could be drawn. If we're looking at things like germline therapy for cosmetic purposes, I don't see why that (once developed) is any more reprehensible than the cosmetic surgery we already permit on the sole grounds of modified traits being inheritable. So no, I don't have a problem with what you're suggesting, though "personal alteration" alone is a very general thing.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote