Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2004, 06:00 AM   #1
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Aging at the Undying Lands

Forgive me if there's been a thread on this, but I've been wondering lately whether mortals (Frodo and Sam and Gimli for example) would have aged physically (become grey-haired, etc.) when they lived at Tol Eressea. We know they would eventually die because they are mortals, but would they age as well?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I'm not sure if they would age any differently then they did while in Middle-earth, but it says I believe in the HoMe that their deaths would come more quickly in Tol Eressea than it would had they remained in Middle-earth.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I'm not sure if they would age any differently then they did while in Middle-earth, but it says I believe in the HoMe that their deaths would come more quickly in Tol Eressea than it would had they remained in Middle-earth.
In a way that sounds logical but in another light it hardly seems fair. Why would they go then if they died there sooner then they would have if they had stayed?
Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

IIRC, it says somewhere (letters, perhaps?) that they went there temporarily for healing and rest, then they would die, as they would anyway. I think I'd rather die sooner but be healed and peaceful than live longer in agony, so this makes sense to me.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

a-HA!

Quote:
from Letter 154
But in this story it is supposed that there may be certain rare exceptions or accomodations (legitimately supposed? there always seem to be exceptions); and so certain 'mortals', who have played some great part in Elvish affairs, may pass with the Elves to Elvenhome. Thus Frodo (by the express gift of Arwen) and Bilbo, and eventually Sam (as adumbrated by Frodo); and as a unique exception Gimli the Dwarf, as friend of Legolas and 'servant' of Galadriel.

I have said nothing about it in this book, but the mythical idea underlying is that for mortals, since their 'kind' cannot be changed for ever, this is strictly only a temporary reward: a healing and redress of suffering. They cannot abide for ever, and though they cannot return to mortal earth, they can and will 'die' - of free will, and leave the world.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
Rían

oh, also letter 325 (and others, too, but this is short and to the point):
Quote:
As for Frodo or other mortals, they could only dwell in Aman for a limited time - whether brief or long. The Valar had neither the power nor the right to confer 'immortality' upon them. Their sojourn was a 'purgatory', but one of peace and healing and they would eventually pass away (die at their own desire and of free will) to destinations of which the Elves knew nothing.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Rian, when you (and I've seen others do it - and with MUCH longer passages) quote sections from Tolkien's books, do you have to meticulously type them in? Or are there online resources from which they can be extracted?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
Rían

I type them in meself, because I can type like the wind! (as I imagine many other people can, too, in this age of computers).

I've seen some passages quoted, tho, that I would NOT have typed in because they're so long, and I've wondered if there's some place where they were available to be "cut and pasted".

Old 04-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #9
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I type them in meself, because I can type like the wind! (as I imagine many other people can, too, in this age of computers).
If I try to type like the wind, "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and no man knoweth whence it cometh or whither it goeth!" (having just quoted another part of THAT passage in a different thread!)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 04-13-2004 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Rian, when you (and I've seen others do it - and with MUCH longer passages) quote sections from Tolkien's books, do you have to meticulously type them in? Or are there online resources from which they can be extracted?
If you know the source, you can generally do a google search to find an online source. I tend to do it if it's a long quote. Letters are really easy to search - you just type in the number.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #11
Rían

oh, cool - I'll try that!

Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I got the impression that going there was like dying... so it was passing right to death without the dying part...
Old 04-15-2004, 07:53 PM   #13
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
I got the impression that going there was like dying... so it was passing right to death without the dying part...
Not to come off as snooty, but have you read The Silmarillion yet? I think you can DEFINITELY get the impression you got from LOTR, but it seems quite a bit different when you read more about it. (something to look forward to?)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-15-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

JRRT went several different direction with this in his note, wiout making a conclusion.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #15
Rían

Oh, read the Sil, Sminty! I think you'll like it tho it's a bit tough language-wise at first.